Return to Baseball Leftovers

notes from fridays games

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

notes from fridays games

Postby pkarr5000 » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:44 pm

Notes from Friday's games

August 8, 2003
^AMERICAN LEAGUE< ^Orioles-Red Sox<

BALTIMORE: 2B Brian Roberts, who has reached base safely in 61 of 66 games since joining the Orioles on May 21, was given the second game of a day-night doubleheader after going 1-for-4 in the first game. ... C Brook Fordyce's triple in the first game was the third in his seven-year career, and first since July 27, 2000. ... The Orioles swept their two previous doubleheaders this season, May 1 at Detroit and May 9 at Kansas City.

BOSTON: Of Nomar Garciaparra's 22 homers this season, 16 have come at home, including 12 of his last 15. ... C Doug Mirabelli has homered in his last two games, both off the Orioles' Rick Helling. ... The four runs allowed by reliever Scott Williamson in the first game Friday tied a career high. Williamson previously allowed four runs on July 4, 2000, at St. Louis and Sept. 21, 1999, at San Diego.

Rangers-Blue Jays

TEXAS: 1B-DH Rafael Palmeiro needs more time to decide whether he'll accept a trade to the Chicago Cubs. ``I'll take a few days and figure out what I'm going to do,'' said Palmeiro, who used his no-trade clause to block a deal before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. He cleared waivers Tuesday and the Rangers approached him again about the trade. Texas gave Palmeiro until noon Thursday to make a decision. Rangers manager Buck Showalter said Friday the deal is off because Palmeiro told him Thursday he wouldn't accept a trade. ``I'd prefer to stay, but a decision hasn't been made,'' Palmeiro said. ``I'm leaning toward staying here. I definitely want to stay.'' Palmeiro said it would be nice to join a contenting team, but that he has to think about his family. ... The Rangers hit three home runs in the first inning, tying a club record done 23 times previously.

TORONTO: RHP Cory Lidle will miss his scheduled start against Texas on Sunday because of a strained left groin. Lidle said his groin has bothered him for the past three starts. He also said he has a sore right arm, but the groin is more of a problem. ``I can pitch with it, but I can't be myself,'' Lidle said. ``Hopefully, it's just one start.'' Lidle is 11-10 with a 5.95 ERA in 24 starts. Toronto manager Carlos Tosca said he needed to talk to GM J.P. Ricciardi before deciding who would start in Lidle's place. ... LF Frank Catalanotto returned to the team after missing two games. Catalanotto's eyes have been bothering him lately and he saw a doctor in Texas. ``His eyes were getting all dried out,'' Tosca said.

Athletics-White Sox

CHICAGO: The White Sox purchased the contract of C Jamie Burke from Triple-A Charlotte and optioned RHP Matt Ginter to Charlotte on Friday. The move was made to fill the absence of C Miguel Olivo, day to day with a sore right shoulder. ``We don't necessarily want to go the 15-day route right now,'' manager Jerry Manuel said. ``We want to see if we can get ways to shorten that period.'' Olivo left Tuesday night's game against the Royals after he tripped over Brent Mayne's leg, landing hard on his throwing shoulder. Burke was hitting .328 (83-for-253) with five homers and 42 RBIs in 77 games for Charlotte. Ginter allowed five earned runs in 3 1-3 relief innings for the White Sox. Manuel will use Burke in a backup role behind Sandy Alomar Jr. ``If it gets to the situation where it is a day game after a night game, he will possibly play in that particular time,'' Manuel said. ... The White Sox are just 4-11 against AL West teams this season and have lost four of their last six vs. Oakland. ``For me, this is a huge series in a sense that if we can get by this series with some accomplishments and success, we kind of erased that West Coast demon that they bring with them all the time,'' Manuel said. The White Sox travel to Anaheim and Texas after the Oakland series. ``Winning the series would be very important for us. This part of the schedule for me is the toughest part because we haven't done historically well against the (AL) West.''

OAKLAND: RHP Jim Mecir threw Thursday from the bullpen, while rehabbing in Triple-A Sacramento. Mecir said he felt good after throwing. Mecir was placed on the 15-day DL retroactive to July 24 with inflammation in his right knee. ... The A's entered Friday night's game with a 26-30 road record, compared to 40-18 at home, the AL's best home record. ... Manager Ken Macha hasn't watched former A's pitcher Billy Koch that closely this season, but remembers Koch throwing a lot of innings last season for the A's -- which might have impacted the reliever's effectiveness this season with the White Sox. He lost his role as the closer and has a 9.00 ERA in his last 10 games. ``He strongly voiced his opinion that he wanted to be the guy in there,'' said Macha, who watched Koch as Oakland's bench coach last year. ``I remember the night where he pitched three innings. He pitched three innings and the next day, he came to the ballpark and says that (he) can pitch. He went out there and got the save, it was amazing.'' Koch had 44 saves and 11 wins for Oakland last season.

Angels-Indians

ANAHEIM: OF Darin Erstad had an MRI taken Friday at the Cleveland Clinic which revealed a strained tendon behind his right knee and indicated tendinitis, the same diagnosis of the injury that sidelined him for 42 games earlier this season. ``It's a relief,'' manager Mike Scioscia said. ``But at the same time, it's frustrating.'' For now, all Erstad can do is rest his leg and hope it gets better. He aggravated the injury Wednesday night in Boston. Scioscia said he'll give Erstad a couple days off, hoping the rest will help. If Erstad's injury doesn't respond, Scioscia said one of the options is to have him sit out the remainder of the season. ``There are a lot of things we're going to consider,'' he said. ... C Bengie Molina's injured right thumb is still swollen after being hit by a foul tip during Thursday night's game in Boston. ``It feels better,'' said Molina, who sat out while his brother, Jose, started at catcher in Friday night's series opener in Cleveland. ``It's good enough to grip a bat, but could use some more rest. ... Rookie RHP Kevin Gregg will make his major league debut in the first game of a day-night doubleheader Saturday. Gregg went 5-3 with a 4.18 ERA in 11 starts at Triple-A Salt Lake. ``It will be a nice opportunity for him,'' Scioscia said. ``Hopefully, he can come in and give us a lift.''

CLEVELAND: OF Matt Lawton's comeback has been slowed. Lawton, sidelined since dislocating a finger on his right hand while taking a swing July 11, took the day off Friday after complaining of some tenderness. Lawton went 0-for-3 on Thursday night during a rehab assignment at Double-A Akron. The plan was for Lawton to play this weekend at Single-A Mahoning Valley, but Indians manager Eric Wedge said that has been scrapped and Lawton will stay in Cleveland and take batting practice this weekend. ... Injured closer Bob Wickman is scheduled to pitch live batting practice next Monday and Wednesday while the Indians are in Minneapolis. Wickman hasn't pitched this year after undergoing offseason ligament reconstruction surgery. With Wickman out, Danys Baez became the Indians' closer. Wedge said it's too early to say how both pitchers will be used next season. The Indians have a $5 million club option for 2004 on Baez, and it's unlikely they would want to pay that much to a setup man, especially with Wickman due to make $6 million in '04. ``I think that's premature right now,'' Wedge said. ``We just want to get Bob Wickman healthy and keep pushing Danys Baez in the right direction,'' he said.

Mariners-Yankees

SEATTLE: RHP Armando Benitez was in a Mariners' uniform for the first time since being traded by the Yankees for RHP Jeff Nelson on Wednesday. He met with Bob Melvin before Friday's game against New York and told his new manager he was willing to assume any role he is needed in. Shigetoshi Hasegawa has served as the team's closer while Kaz Sasaki is on the DL. ``Shiggy is our closer and he knows that,'' Melvin said of Benitez. ``He'll be a guy we use late in the game.'' ... Hasegawa hasn't allowed a run in his last 23 innings, dating to June 1. ... 2B Bret Boone is excited for his brother Aaron. ``In the long run, I think it is a good move,'' Bret Boone said. ``He's got the head for New York. He's tough. ... Sasaki will pitch one inning at Triple-A Tacoma on Sunday before the Mariners decide when to activate him.

NEW YORK: The Yankees honored Roger Clemens with a pregame ceremony celebrating his 300th win. The team gave him a red Hummer -- the ``Rocketmobile.'' Clemens and each of his four sons got a commemorative ring, and his wife Debbie was given a 300-win pendant. ... 3B Aaron Boone is looking forward to having dinner with his brother, Seattle 3B Bret Boone, after Saturday's game. Both brothers' wives are also in town. ... The first time Seattle visited New York, the story was Hideki Matsui vs. Ichiro Suzuki. All the talk this time was about the Boones, and Jeff Nelson and Armando Benitez, and Matsui doesn't mind. ``It really doesn't matter that much for me,'' he said though an interpreter. ``I don't change my approach game to game. ... It affects everybody else more.'' ... Nelson couldn't be happier about his trade to the Yankees. ``My old locker, my old number, it was like Christmas in August,'' Nelson said.

Royals-Devil Rays

KANSAS CITY: 1B Mike Sweeney (neck/back nerve irritation) was activated from the 15-day disabled list and was the DH. Sweeney missed 45 games. ``The big test was I got up this morning and felt no pain,'' Sweeney said. ``That was a sign I was ready.'' ... Manager Tony Pena said RHP Jose Lima (groin strain) should be ready to return when he's eligible to be activated from the DL on August 17. ... LHP Darrell May (5-5) has had six no-decisions this season in games where he went at least six innings and allowed three or less runs. The latest was Thursday, when May worked six scoreless innings in the Royals 3-2 loss at Tampa Bay. ``Darrell May has pitched well enough to have a better record than he has right now,'' Pena said. ``We're not thinking about personal numbers right now. Everybody is thinking about trying to win the ballgame.''

TAMPA BAY: The Devil Rays are the majors' youngest team with an average age of 26.45. Manager Lou Piniella said playing playoff contenders like Kansas City down the stretch actually speeds up the learning curve. ``It's great experience for our team,'' Piniella said. ``Let these teams win somewhere else.'' ... Piniella has been thinking a lot recently about struggling LHP Joe Kennedy. The opening day starter will remain in the rotation, which was Kennedy's preference. ``I've got some curiosity about him in the bullpen,'' Piniella said. ``We're going to leave him in the rotation. I have confidence in him.'' ... Piniella will manage his 2,569th game Saturday, which will tie him for 23rd place on the career list with former New York Yankees manager Miller Huggins.

Twins-Tigers

MINNESOTA: Manager Ron Gardenhire said LF Jacque Jones could serve as the DH on Saturday if Jones is ready. Jones reaggravated his groin Thursday against Baltimore. He had been on the DL from July 5-17 with a strained left groin. He didn't play Friday night against Detroit. ``Every time I say definitely yes, it's definitely no,'' a cautious Gardenhire said. ``So, we're not going to do that. We're going to wait until he gets to the ballpark and see.''... The Twins had beaten the Tigers 17 of the last 18 games going into Friday night's game.

DETROIT: Manager Alan Trammell praised the play of rookie Eric Munson. He has 17 home runs and 48 RBI and is hitting .242. His three-run homer was all Detroit needed in its 3-2 win over Oakland on Thursday. Munson is also making the switch from first to third base this season. ``I think he's just readjusting,'' Trammell said. ``He's just getting a feel about how guys are trying to pitch him. That comes in time.'' ... Munson, 25, has committed 17 errors at third base. But he's also made a few spectacular plays. ``(It shows) how talented he is and how mentally tough he's becoming,'' Trammell said. ... Trammell used the same lineup Friday as he did on Thursday, ``just as a reward for yesterday.'' That lineup included former C Ben Petrick playing center field and leading off and C Brandon Inge.

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Braves-Cardinals

ATLANTA: LF Chipper Jones, batting .217 in August, and SS Rafael Furcal got the night off, and are expected to start in a day game Saturday. Jones was 1-for-12 in a three-game series against the Brewers and has one home run since July 7. ... RF Gary Sheffield entered with a 12-game hitting streak, his third double-digit stretch this season. His best this year is 16 straight in April. ... The Braves entered with an NL-leading 170 homers, six more than last season, and with 48 games to play. ... LHP Mike Hampton had two RBIs in his complete-game victory Thursday, giving him seven this season and 59 for his career. ... 1B Robert Fick drove in his career-best 64th run Thursday. He had 63 last year for the Tigers. ... RHP Shane Reynolds, who is 8-6 in 24 career games against the Cardinals, opposes RHP Garrett Stephenson on Saturday.

ST. LOUIS: RHPs Matt Morris (hand) and Russ Springer (elbow) threw off the mound in the bullpen for the first time during their recoveries from injuries Friday. Morris is scheduled to throw in the bullpen Sunday and to hitters Tuesday, and could rejoin the rotation by next weekend. He threw 60 pitches and Springer threw 40. Morris has been on the DL since July 22, Springer since May 1. ... OF-C Eli Marrero (ankle) began a rehab assignment with Triple-A Memphis on Friday night and could be ready to join the roster in a week or so. ... The prognosis for 2B Fernando Vina (torn hamstring) now is late August or early September. He's been rehabbing at home in California, but saw the team when it was in San Diego about two weeks ago and was weak with soreness. ... Manager Tony La Russa is an admirer of the Braves' Bobby Cox, saying he's ``tied for first'' among all managers he's encountered while in the majors. ``You don't win 12 years in a row without doing something right,'' La Russa said. ``He's really shrewd.''

Pirates-Rockies

PITTSBURGH: The Pirates purchased the contract of RHP Pat Mahomes from Triple-A Nashville and placed RHP Salomon Torres on the 15-day DL with a strained right hamstring. ``Mahomes will pitch out of the bullpen and will pitch whenever we have a chance to win a ballgame,'' manager Lloyd McClendon said. ``Torres will miss his next start for sure, we don't need to pitch short again, especially not in this place.'' ... RHP Kris Benson was transferred from the 15-day to the 60-day DL. Benson has been on the DL with irritation in his right shoulder. ... C Jason Kendall is 6-for-29 in his last eight games. ``Jason's all right, swinging the bat pretty good up until the last three or four days,'' McClendon said. ``He's hitting the ball, not striking out. He's just not finding the holes right now.'' ... OF Reggie Sanders is hitting .327 with five homers and 15 RBIs over his last 13 games. ... OF Brian Giles has reached base in 15 straight, but hitting only .188 in his last six road games. Giles (162) is a home run away from matching Frank Thomas for sixth place on Pittsburgh's career list. ... Pirates pitchers limited San Francisco to 15 singles and one homer in the recent three-game series.

COLORADO: The most disappointed Rockies player to see Philadelphia leave town had to be 1B Todd Helton. Helton hit a pair of home runs and drove in four runs in the three-game series and is a .423 hitter with 13 homers and 41 RBIs in his career against the Phillies. ... Helton, a career .389 hitter in August, is off to a .526 start with three homers and nine RBIs. ... LHP Javier Lopez has made six consecutive scoreless appearances and retired 15 of the past 17 batters he's faced in 12 appearances. ... Manager Clint Hurdle has been happy with the team's bullpen to date. ``I think they have become as cohesive a group as we've had since I've been a manager here,'' Hurdle said. ``Very rarely do you run into the situation where you have a bullpen going from being a positive to being a negative and almost have to rebuild the bullpen during the course of the year and have any success doing that.'' ... The Rockies have been switching up their keystone combination of late. Hurdle had Tony Womack starting at SS and Ronnie Belliard at 2B Friday. ``It's all based on matchups and performance,'' Hurdle said. ``And not let any one of them just sit for too long a period of time.''

Phillies-Giants

PHILADELPHIA: The Phillies brought in three of their unsigned draft picks from June to throw off the visiting bullpen mound at Pac Bell Park before the game. ``It's the first time we'd had a chance to look at them,'' Phillies manager Larry Bowa said. Sixth-round pick Jordan Parraz came from Green Valley High in Nevada, 28th-round choice Blair Erickson came from Jesuit High in Fair Oaks, a suburb of Sacramento, and 41st-round pick Greg Reynolds came from Terra Nova High in Pacifica, less than 30 minutes from San Francisco. Reynolds has also committed to Stanford. ... RHP Brett Myers, who pitches Sunday, has been a pleasant surprise for the Phillies this season. The rookie has helped to solidify the starting rotation. ``He's very poised and has done a great job,'' Bowa said. ``We had high expectations for him last year. Sometimes when he has a bad outing you get mad, but then you realize he's only 22 years old. Most 22-year-olds are still in Double-A. This kid has been remarkable.'' ... The Phillies' record in front of big crowds on the road -- 8-0 with crowds of 35,000 or more -- will be put to the test this weekend. The Giants average 39,893 fans per game and have sold out 32 consecutive games.

SAN FRANCISCO: 2B Ray Durham was placed on the 15-day DL with a right leg injury he reaggravated sliding into second base on a stolen-base attempt in Wednesday night's 2-0 loss to Pittsburgh. ``He was resistant and unhappy at first,'' Giants trainer Stan Conte said. ``But we want him to be healthy in September. We feel if we put him back out there too soon we're going to end up dragging this thing out longer than we needed.'' ... OF Marvin Benard was activated from the DL to replace Durham. Benard, out since June 16 with a bruised left knee, is hitting .185 in 32 games. ... Giants manager Felipe Alou won't let himself think about possible playoff opponents this early in the season. The Phillies are in the hunt for the NL wild card, but Alou doesn't place any added incentive on the weekend series. ``The wild card thing is a mirage,'' Alou said. ``There are so many teams involved in the wild card. In Montreal every year we were counted in the wild-card race.'' Still, Alou is impressed with the Phillies. ``To me, they have everything that is needed to win a division,'' he said. ``But in the East there is a team who always wins. I'm still worried about first place in the West.''

Marlins-Brewers

FLORIDA: Manager Jack McKeon has a pleasant problem: not getting enough work for his bullpen. ``Our starters have been pitching into the seventh and eighth innings,'' McKeon said. ``But that's a nice (problem) to have. Sometimes you get them too much work, other times not enough.'' ... One player McKeon has enjoyed watching is rookie left-hander Dontrelle Willis, who is 11-2 with a 2.56 ERA. ``He's in motion all the time,'' McKeon said. ``But why change him? He's a good kid. Now you just hope it continues.'' ... McKeon laughs when asked about the supposed ``fire sale'' that many projected for his star players, including 3B Mike Lowell, when the team was struggling in June. ``They had (Lowell) going to L.A. and Chicago,'' McKeon said. ``I think it was just wishful thinking on their part that we were going to have a fire sale.'' ... OF Mark Smith, a former Marlin who joined the Brewers on Friday, likes what he's seen of Florida. ``They're young, with a lot of potential, and you can see that potential coming out now,'' he said. ``It's good to see some of those guys have success. It's a good team.'' ... LHP Mark Redman, who will start Saturday against the Brewers, has allowed two earned runs in 17 innings in his two starts vs. Milwaukee this year. He's 2-1 with a 1.80 ERA in his last four starts.

MILWAUKEE: The popular Bob Uecker, inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame a few weeks ago, will undergo surgery Monday to have both knees replaced. ``If it wasn't so painful, I wouldn't do it,'' the Brewers broadcaster said Friday. He'll miss the six-game road trip that starts Tuesday in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh and isn't certain if he'll be on the air when the Brewers return home Aug. 19 to face the Phillies and Pirates in a six-game homestand. ``I don't really know, but I'm going to try to get back as quick as I can,'' said Uecker, who is in his 33rd season broadcasting Brewers games and is remembered for his role in the TV series ``Mr. Belvedere'' from 1985-90. ... Rookie CF Scott Podsednik, batting .300 going into Friday's game, has taken extra batting practice this week, mainly to work on histing. ``That's a weapon for him,'' manager Ned Yost said. ``Plus, it brings the infield in and opens things up.'' ... Mark Smith replaced 3B Wes Helms, who was placed on the 15-day DL with a right hamstring strain. To make room for Smith on the 40-man roster, Milwaukee transferred RHP Todd Ritchie from the 15-day to the 60-day DL.

Expos-Astros

MONTREAL: After starting the season 6-0 in walkoff games, the Expos have lost seven of their last eight in those situations. ... C Michael Barrett is beginning a rehab assignment with the Triple-A Edmonton. He is recovering from a right hip flexor strain and went on the DL on July 29. ... SS Orlando Cabrera has started in a team-high 84 consecutive games and has played in 121 straight games dating to Sept. 24, 2002. Only four players have played in all 162 games for the Expos, Rusty Staub (1971), Ken Singleton (1973), Warren Cromartie (1980) and Cabrera in 2001.

HOUSTON: Kirk Saarloos thought he was headed back to the minors when the Astros announced they'd acquired pitcher Rick White, thinking he was a free agent. When the Astros discovered Thursday that White still belonged to the Chicago White Sox, the transaction was voided. ``One day I was headed for New Orleans, the next thing I know I'm out here for batting practice,'' Saarloos said. ``It's been weird, but I can think of a lot of things worse.'' Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker said it was a mistake. ``I thought he was a free agent, and it turns out that wasn't the case,'' Hunsicker said. ``He's still the property of the White Sox and the transaction cannot move forward.''

Cubs-Dodgers

CHICAGO: 1B Eric Karros returned to Dodger Stadium on Friday for the first time since being traded with 2B Mark Grudzielanek to the Cubs for C Todd Hundley and OF Chad Hermanson last December. He was given the first locker adjacent the showers -- a place of honor that over the years has been used by Willie Stargell, Willie Mays, Lou Brock, Johnny Bench, Willie McCovey, Dave Winfield, Terry Pendleton, Dwight Gooden, Larry Walker and Frank Thomas. It was a tradition that was started in 1962 by visiting clubhouse manager Jim Muhe and has been perpetuated by his successor, Jerry Turner. ``I've never been in the visitors clubhouse here. This is the first time,'' Karros said. ``I never thought I'd be coming down that elevator and turning right. But if I was going to have to turn right, this is definitely the organization to be in.'' ... Karros began the season in a platoon at 1B with lefty-swinging Hee Seop Choi, who is 10-for-47 since coming off the disabled list. Choi was sidelined for 20 games with a head injury after colliding with RHP Kerry Wood on a popup by the Yankees' Jason Giambi on June 7 at Wrigley Field. ... Mark Prior will take a 2.87 ERA into Sunday's start. The last time a Cubs full-time starter finished a season with an ERA under 3.00 was 1992, when Greg Maddux finished at 2.18 in 35 starts and Mike Morgan finished at 2.55 in 34 starts.

LOS ANGELES: It would seem ironic that only a few hours before Eric Karros played his first game at Dodger Stadium as an opposing player, the first baseman he was traded to the Cubs for last December -- Fred McGriff -- was running the bases for the first time since going on the DL with a strained abductor muscle on July 5. But manager Jim Tracy did his utmost to downplay Karros' return. ``Eric Karros was here for a decade, so I'm sure the response he's going to get tonight from these fans in the early part of the game is well-deserved -- and it should be that way. But beyond that, it's a game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Chicago Cubs. It's not the Dodgers against Eric Karros. That's not the way we do things here.'' ... Among those who came out to welcome Karros back were Ron Cey and Steve Garvey -- who in his first game back at Chavez Ravine with the San Diego Padres, tied Billy Williams' NL record for consecutive games played. ... Former Dodgers pitching great Don Newcombe expressed affection Karros, who hit more homers than any Dodger since the team moved to Los Angeles. ``I'm prejudiced, as far as Eric Karros is concerned,'' Newcombe said. ``He brought so much to Dodger baseball and Dodger fans. He tried so hard. He even tried to play when he was hurt and wouldn't complain. In my opinion, he was one of the finest men and one of the finest baseball players that has ever come through Dodger baseball.''

Reds-Padres

CINCINNATI: SS Barry Larkin returned to the Reds lineup for the first time since leaving Wednesday's game after irritating the scar tissue that resulted from hernia surgery on Aug. 24. ... The Reds went without making a transaction for the first time in seven days. They will make to make a roster move Saturday to add RHP Aaron Harang, scheduled to be recalled for a start.

SAN DIEGO: The Padres rested 3B Sean Burroughs, who is in a 0-for-10 skid with five strikeouts. ... None of the Padres had previously faced Cincinnati starter John Bale, who pitched for Toronto (2000) and Baltimore (2001) in the before joining the Reds on July 30.

Mets-Diamondbacks

NEW YORK: C Mike Piazza is scheduled to continue his rehab assignment with Triple-A Norfolk through Tuesday night, then rejoin the Mets on Wednesday when they play San Francisco at Shea Stadium. He homered in his first rehab game, against Charlotte, Thursday night. ... SS Jose Reyes has 12 multihit games since the All-Star break, most in the NL and second in the majors, behind only Shannon Stewart's 13. He had a string of five multihit contests entering Friday night's game. ... New York leads the NL and is second in the majors with 309 games started by rookies. Cleveland is the runaway leader in the majors with 452 games started by first-year players. ... The Mets activated RHP Grant Roberts from the DL on Thursday and designated C Joe DePastino for assignment. Roberts, on the DL since March 28 with right shoulder tendinitis, pitched a perfect inning against Houston on Thursday night.

ARIZONA: In an exchange of minor league pitchers, the Diamondbacks sent RHP Paul Abbott to Kansas City for LHP Aric Leclair. Leclair, 25, was Arizona's 19th-round pick in the 2000 first-year player draft but was released after two seasons with Class A South Bend and signed with Kansas City. He was 1-2 with five saves and a 3.08 ERA with Class A Wilmington and will report to Double-A El Paso. ... The Diamondbacks' three-game sweep of Montreal was its first since they took three from visiting Detroit on June 27-29. ... Thursday night's 5-4 victory was the 500th in Arizona's 5 1/2 -year history. ... The Diamondbacks' 2.38 ERA in 20 games since the All-Star break is the best in the majors.
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:37 am

Why do they write that article before the games are over? Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:25 am

Madison wrote:Why do they write that article before the games are over? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Good point Madison.... :-?

anyway...highlights from the Jr Circuit...before someone else gets here... :-)

2B Brian Roberts, who has reached base safely in 61 of 66 games since joining the Orioles on May 21, was given the second game of a day-night doubleheader after going 1-for-4 in the first game.

he has been coming on lately....

1B-DH Rafael Palmeiro needs more time to decide whether he'll accept a trade to the Chicago Cubs. ``I'll take a few days and figure out what I'm going to do,'' said Palmeiro, who used his no-trade clause to block a deal before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. He cleared waivers Tuesday and the Rangers approached him again about the trade

come to pappa..... :-)

CHICAGO: The White Sox purchased the contract of C Jamie Burke from Triple-A Charlotte and optioned RHP Matt Ginter to Charlotte on Friday.

I have watched him play...he will be good in the future....

Ok wrveres...give us the NL report... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Sat Aug 09, 2003 3:43 am

LOL .. I was reading Thursday's again ...
Great to have my favorite article posted on the cafe ..

Real baseball anybody..??

RF Gary Sheffield entered with a 12-game hitting streak, his third double-digit stretch this season. His best this year is 16 straight in April. ..

they gotta resign him, right?

Tony La Russa is an admirer of the Braves' Bobby Cox, saying he's ``tied for first'' among all managers he's encountered while in the majors. ``You don't win 12 years in a row without doing something right,'' La Russa said. ``He's really shrewd

It also helps if you have Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz and the Jones'
All Tony has ever had was McGuire and Eck, You can see it in his eye when he slobbers over Pujols ..

On another note .. Bobby Cox belongs in the hall of fame, first ballot for a manager if that is possible.IMO

Helton hit a pair of home runs and drove in four runs in the three-game series and is a .423 hitter with 13 homers and 41 RBIs in his career against the Phillies

I think we were just discussing Todd today... :-)

He's very poised and has done a great job,'' Bowa said. ``We had high expectations for him last year. Sometimes when he has a bad outing you get mad, but then you realize he's only 22 years old. Most 22-year-olds are still in Double-A. This kid has been remarkable
Yes he is ... and liked his teamate, Millwood, he goes overlooked.

``He's in motion all the time,'' McKeon said. ``But why change him? He's a good kid. Now you just hope it continues.''

Because you are going to have to change him, they might as well wait until after surgery, do it during rehab.
Speaking of managers, here is the NL manager of the year, Trader Jack ..

LHP Mark Redman, who will start Saturday against the Brewers, has allowed two earned runs in 17 innings in his two starts vs. Milwaukee this year. He's 2-1 with a 1.80 ERA in his last four starts.

Mark Prior will take a 2.87 ERA into Sunday's start. The last time a Cubs full-time starter finished a season with an ERA under 3.00 was 1992, when Greg Maddux finished at 2.18 in 35 starts and Mike Morgan finished at 2.55 in 34 starts.

Hey, there is that Maddux fella agian...

The Diamondbacks' 2.38 ERA in 20 games since the All-Star break is the best in the majors.

to quote the late John Belushi ...
"Nothing is over till we decide it's over"
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Return to Baseball Leftovers