Time to go 'turtle mode' - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time to go 'turtle mode'

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:48 pm

LL to answer your question :-D , I would pack it in and win ERA and Whip for the week. You have no chance at winning K's at all especially with 5 starters going for him. You might have a slim chance at winning wins but you could also lose your ERA and Whip lead in the process if a MR blows up on your with a 5 ER 1/3 inning pitched performance. Since you built this team around a win 2 out of 5 pitching cats a week performance, take your 2 wins and get him in the hitting cats now. ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Met_Threat » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:59 pm

great gretzky wrote:probably because you don't play defense?

At least in roto, you can detract from your opponents. your gain is by definition at someone else's expense. Head 2 Head has its strategy, but so does checkers. You can at least trade to prevent your opponents from gaining. Head to Head, you can't really pull people back. Roto, you can take away from others in front of you. You can mvoe forward while they move back. Head to Head, the best you can do is hope other people slow down while you heat up.

IMO when i play roto, and some guy is up there with 90 or 100 points or something, and your nearing hte stretch of the season, its pretty hard to get that guy down. Sure you can all say chess and checkers has strategy, but who the hell cares about chess and checkers. I like baseball and baseball related strategy.

Roto league + checkers every sunday does not = H2H

H2H, anyone can win any given week, players go through slumps, and hot streaks, and this gives those bad teams something to look forward to. H2H also has the playoffs, and those bottom feeders can play playoff spoilers.

In the real MLB, the standings are not some golf leaderboard, where each team plays baseball against some computer or something and whoever is the best team wins. Real MLB is H2H, one team vs another. I like a more realistic feel, i like strategy, i like playoffs, i like h2h. Everybody is entitled to their tastes.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:16 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:LL to answer your question :-D , I would pack it in and win ERA and Whip for the week. You have no chance at winning K's at all especially with 5 starters going for him. You might have a slim chance at winning wins but you could also lose your ERA and Whip lead in the process if a MR blows up on your with a 5 ER 1/3 inning pitched performance. Since you built this team around a win 2 out of 5 pitching cats a week performance, take your 2 wins and get him in the hitting cats now. ;-D

I like the new Av Raiders :D

Yeah, I think you're right...I hate packing it in when I'm leading in one cat and close in another but throwing Olsen, Cook and Tomko out there isn't always all that kind to your ratios. :-o

As for the offense...well, it's a work in progress now. This team is playing for 2007 so I've traded away a lot of guys I could use right now - Scott Rolen, Jermaine Dye, Conor Jackson, Fernando Rodney, Ambiorix Burgos and Tyler Walker (hurt now of course) have all been dealt away this year. With Pujols now on the shelf I'm hurting big-time. I'm *supposed* to be designed to win average/sb's most weeks and runs on a decently regular basis to keep me fairly competitive in this rebuilding year.

Unfortuntely I'm down 4-2 in sb's, getting crushed in runs but somehow tied in home runs and leading in rbi's right now (killing him in average too but that's because he's hitting .228 for the week). With R. Martin, Youkilis, Utley (slumping), Crede, Rollins (slumping other than the solo home runs :-? ), Crawford (not running this week), B. Giles (pile of steaming poop but what can you do when you've gotten so many draft upgrades on the path to having him), Granderson and Shelton as your starters and a bench of Kemp, D. Roberts, K. Lofton (just picked him back up today...had the Big Hurt in that slot !+) ) and D. Ross I just don't feel that I have a very good offense at the moment. I lean on my 4 keepers (Utley, Rollins, Crawford and Pujols) and when 3 of the 4 slump and the other is hurt I'm in deep crap. It's taken every trick in the book to keep me in third place this year but then again I built this team to finish at least 12th so I guess I can't complain. :-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:58 pm

HiddenIdentity wrote:How is H2H not like real baseball? I've never understood this arguement.

The two teams facing each other have no effect on the other. If you have Pedro on the mound, the other team's hitters probably aren't going to do much. If you have Pedro going in H2H, good for you, you might get a W or something...the other guy's team isn't facing him so they have no effect on each other.

Also in baseball you are responsible for the runs the other teams get. You have no bearing over your opponent's points in H2H.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Met_Threat » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:05 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
HiddenIdentity wrote:How is H2H not like real baseball? I've never understood this arguement.

The two teams facing each other have no effect on the other. If you have Pedro on the mound, the other team's hitters probably aren't going to do much. If you have Pedro going in H2H, good for you, you might get a W or something...the other guy's team isn't facing him so they have no effect on each other.

Also in baseball you are responsible for the runs the other teams get. You have no bearing over your opponent's points in H2H.

Still H2H is much more like real baseball. Take this for example. The Yankees are facing the Jays. While the Redsox are facing the DRays. When the Yankees put up runs, they are not trying to get more runs than the Redsox. They are focused on beating the jays that game. They have no control as to whether the redsox win or not. Same with h2h, when im in first facing the 3rd team, and the 2nd is facing the 4th, i have no control over what the 2nd team does. That probably came across as a muddy explanation, but i hope you got the gist.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:08 pm

Why not just do a search and peruse the other 1,000 H2H vs Roto threads? ;-7

Dear Mods,

Where's my Great Debates Forum? O:-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:19 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Why not just do a search and peruse the other 1,000 H2H vs Roto threads? ;-7

Dear Mods,

I don't take credit for starting this even though it's my thread...I just wanted to know whether to bench my pitchers or not. Frightening what type of a conversation you can get going once you start talking about the more unusual h2h format strategies. :D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:24 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Why not just do a search and peruse the other 1,000 H2H vs Roto threads? ;-7

Dear Mods,

I don't take credit for starting this even though it's my thread...I just wanted to know whether to bench my pitchers or not. Frightening what type of a conversation you can get going once you start talking about the more unusual h2h format strategies. :D

Well I ought to at least be useful...

... bench them. I've never regretted it when doing it in H2H. I have, however, regretted not benching pitchers.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:31 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Well I ought to at least be useful...

... bench them. I've never regretted it when doing it in H2H. I have, however, regretted not benching pitchers.

And the only thing I've ever regretted more than not benching pitchers is churning pitchers that had no business starting to try and keep up in wins and k's after falling behind in the ratios only to lose the wins, k's AND ratios and then realizing I could have won the ratios if I'd not even bothered with the churning starters. :-P
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:20 pm

every H2H thread its the same 3-4 guys bitching about H2H ...

Here is a suggestion, if you don't like H2H don't bother reading the thread, or just move on to the next one. We get that you are such an extrordinary person that anything anybody else does for entertainment is beneath you.
Do you really need to remind us how great you are everyday ..

LL
Bench the pitchers . ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers