Time to go 'turtle mode' - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time to go 'turtle mode'

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Time to go 'turtle mode'

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:54 pm

I run a MR strategy in a 14 ip minimum h2h league. My pitchers are Carpenter (my only starter), Shields, Soriano, Betancourt, Linebrink, Rincon and Wainwright (I have 5 slots for the 6 RP's so one is always on my bench).

The current numbers stand with me trailing 2-3 in wins, 0-1 in saves (not that I'm likely to get any of those) and leading 19-18 in k's, 1.29-4.50 in era and 1.07-1.46 in whip. I have 14ip to his team's 26ip (so my ratios could jump quite a bit more than his).

Barring any FA pickups I have Carpenter starting at home versus Col on Sunday as my only start. He has Bedard @NYM and Zito vs LAD on Friday along with Peavy @LAA, E. Santana vs SD and Westbrook @Mil on Saturday with no SP on Sunday. His relievers are Papelbon and M. Gonzalez.

With era/whip almost certainly in the bag at this point is it time to bench all of my pitchers. I just can't see me winning wins or k's with his 5 starts versus my 1 even though I have 5 middle relievers. I also don't see FA pickups being worth the risk of blowing up the era/whip given my huge lead. Time to pull into my shell and take the 2-3 loss in the pitching categories (which is this team's basic strategy to begin with)?
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:25 pm

Do you really like H2H? These sort of dilemnas just turn me off... To me, ROTO, is (a) more like real baseball managing, and (B) is stressfull enuf as it is.... adding this whole other element is just one more worry.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The_Met_Threat » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:46 pm

johnsamo wrote:Do you really like H2H? These sort of dilemnas just turn me off... To me, ROTO, is (a) more like real baseball managing, and (B) is stressfull enuf as it is.... adding this whole other element is just one more worry.

H2H = strategy

Roto = leave your line up and come back in september to see how your doing. I have 1 main h2h league which i check daily, and 3 roto leagues i dont check till september.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CadensDad » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:06 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:
johnsamo wrote:Do you really like H2H? These sort of dilemnas just turn me off... To me, ROTO, is (a) more like real baseball managing, and (B) is stressfull enuf as it is.... adding this whole other element is just one more worry.

H2H = strategy

Roto = leave your line up and come back in september to see how your doing. I have 1 main h2h league which i check daily, and 3 roto leagues i dont check till september.

h2h isn't any more strategy than ROTO, H2H you have to be better than 1 team in 1 week. In ROTO you ahve to be better than every team every week. Plus in ROTO you have IP limit's. Plus 1 bad week in ROTO wont kill you completely. you go into a week in h2h and come out 1-8-1 or 0-10-0 or 0-9-1 and your gonna feel the effects.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:34 pm

So back to the original question...is it time to bench my pitchers? :-b

My only slot I'd still have going tonight is either Shields or Rincon...I'd probably go Rincon since this would be Shields' 4th straight appearance. I'm leaning toward going full-out benching the guys at this point but would be interested in everyone else's feedback.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Matthias » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:36 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:

H2H = strategy

As I said in another thread, if I want strategy, I'll play chess.

If I want baseball, I'll do roto.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:37 pm

To answer this question I really like both. If you've got an active league with a bunch of fun guys that like to talk trash then h2h is a lot of fun. If it's a serious money league I'd want to stick to roto though. Both have their place and I enjoy both about equally. H2h has a lot more luck to it but it also has a lot more strategical nuances. Roto has a lot less opportunity for luck but is more straightforward except when it comes to trading for categories around the trade deadline. I would hate to not have at least one of each going each year though.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:15 pm

IF you've got a competitive league and enough teams, than you can't just set a roster and let it ride... Well, you could if you wanted to lose. I'm basically in a tie for first, but I've constantly had to make moves because of injuries, marginal players that go cold, etc... What I like best about it is, the cummulative nature of the scoring means you've got to put guys out on the field and let them play no matter whether you like your roster or not, that is just like baseball.... Sitting your entire pitching staff in H2H because you've got a lead in ERA and WHIPs already, that's not baseball.

My point is, Roto is enough stress as it is, why add another layer to it that also violates the strategy of what reall baseball managers have to do?

It's a free country, but I don't get it.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HiddenIdentity » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:31 pm

How is H2H not like real baseball? I've never understood this arguement.
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:44 pm

probably because you don't play defense?

At least in roto, you can detract from your opponents. your gain is by definition at someone else's expense. Head 2 Head has its strategy, but so does checkers. You can at least trade to prevent your opponents from gaining. Head to Head, you can't really pull people back. Roto, you can take away from others in front of you. You can mvoe forward while they move back. Head to Head, the best you can do is hope other people slow down while you heat up.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers