Todd Helton...starting to turn it around? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Todd Helton...starting to turn it around?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SuperSlugger360 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:44 pm

Well, I hope so.

Drafted him round 4, iirc, like TheYanks said. I think 15 HRs sounds way too conservative, but I'm not expecting anything earth shattering. Maybe 23-25-ish homers. Slight disappointment, but I need him for his average much more then his power.
Last edited by SuperSlugger360 on Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperSlugger360 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tomdoyle3 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:46 pm

The thing I like about Helton is that he never presses. Whenever he's in a slump, he never changes his approach, he just keeps taking walks and being the patient hitter that he is. With hitters like him, it's just a matter of time before they break out of their slump. ;-D
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Double Play Ball » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:51 pm

yea, its shaping up for another big 2nd have for Helton.. and i'm gonna savor every moment of it ;-D
Double Play Ball
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:08 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:15 Hrs from a round 3-5 1b...that is great value for all the Helton believers that drafted hin round 3-5. What happened to all those people saying he would hit 340 with 25+ HRs because of his "Great" second half last season? Where oh where has the power gone? Possibly the same place Tex's and Michael Young's and Beltre's have.

.340 and 25+ HR's isnt exactly out of the question...
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 367)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:41 pm

acsguitar wrote:I think the power numbers are gone. but he'll hit get on base alot especially with holliday behind him

I'd say this looks about right.

Helton's hr/f% was 13.2% in 2004, 9.5% in 2005 and is down to 7.4% this year. His power is gradually eroding as it does for most guys as they get older (though this drop-off is honestly a bit earlier than you would expect from most hitters).

However Helton is still every bit the hitter he's always been. He's still hitting mostly fly balls, he's still driving the ball though not as many of those long flies clear the wall anymore. And he still has one of the sickest batting eyes in baseball history. He will absolutely rebound unless his body just gives out on him and I've seen no signs of that happening up to this point.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:54 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I think the power numbers are gone. but he'll hit get on base alot especially with holliday behind him

I'd say this looks about right.

Helton's hr/f% was 13.2% in 2004, 9.5% in 2005 and is down to 7.4% this year. His power is gradually eroding as it does for most guys as they get older (though this drop-off is honestly a bit earlier than you would expect from most hitters).

However Helton is still every bit the hitter he's always been. He's still hitting mostly fly balls, he's still driving the ball though not as many of those long flies clear the wall anymore. And he still has one of the sickest batting eyes in baseball history. He will absolutely rebound unless his body just gives out on him and I've seen no signs of that happening up to this point.

Helton is all of 32 years old and is in his 2nd year of power outage. So at age 31, this guy lost all his power...and coincidentally at exactly the same time as they started serious roid testing. You do not have ot be Sherlock Holmes to connect the dots here.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:07 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Helton is all of 32 years old and is in his 2nd year of power outage. So at age 31, this guy lost all his power...and coincidentally at exactly the same time as they started serious roid testing. You do not have ot be Sherlock Holmes to connect the dots here.

I'll never go there with a player until they pee in the cup and fail the test or have the FBI show up at their house and bust them for possession. We can all think what we want to but until there's solid proof I'm not going to sully people's reputations. Sure, it's possible that Todd Helton took steroids. It's just as possible that he's just aging poorly. I don't want to accuse anyone of doing something like that until it's 100% certain that they did.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:16 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Helton is all of 32 years old and is in his 2nd year of power outage. So at age 31, this guy lost all his power...and coincidentally at exactly the same time as they started serious roid testing. You do not have ot be Sherlock Holmes to connect the dots here.

I'll never go there with a player until they pee in the cup and fail the test or have the FBI show up at their house and bust them for possession. We can all think what we want to but until there's solid proof I'm not going to sully people's reputations. Sure, it's possible that Todd Helton took steroids. It's just as possible that he's just aging poorly. I don't want to accuse anyone of doing something like that until it's 100% certain that they did.

This is not a trial, it is public opinion. If you want proof beyond a reasonable doubt, you are not likely to ever get it. Helton is not going to pee in any cup if he thinks he will get caught. Just because no one has a video tape of Helton using the stuff does not mean he didn't. Same with anyone else on the highly suspicious list. No one ever caught Sammy Sosa or Bonds either and we all know they are guilty as can be. Giambi was never caught either and technically never admitted using roids...he just winked it to the press. If you believe these guys are innocent until proven guilty in the court of public opinion, meaning you really think they were clean, then you live in an alternate reality.

I would not bet the house that Helton is dirty, but if I was laying odds on it, I would saying the odds are heavily in favor of him being a cheater and a liar. 31 year olds playing in Coors should not all of a sudden lose their power. And there were rumors about Heltonm using roids previously that he denied.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:28 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:This is not a trial, it is public opinion.

I just think that the public is far too willing to convict people when they don't have anything other than rumors and innuendo. Luckily the public is willing to forgive people of pretty much anything as long as they apologize as well. But what happens when someone is convicted in the court of public opinion and actually didn't do it...I think people need to be a bit more cognizant of the damage this type of stuff causes and at the very least reserve this type of discussion for guys that we at least know used steroids (ie Bonds). He's admitted to using the cream and the clear...he just claims he didn't know what they were. So at the very least we KNOW that Bonds used steroids - it doesn't matter whether he did it on purpose or not since the effect on him as a hitter would be the same. We simply don't know that about Sosa or Helton though. I think you can toss Giambi into the steroid user camp too...he didn't admit to it in so many words but any reasonable person that watched him talk would say that there's no doubt that's what he was trying to say without coming right out and saying it (which makes sense given the legal issues to which I'm sure that could lead).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:31 pm

TheYanks04:

Everyone knows your opinion at this point on Todd Helton.

Point well taken. But your opinion eventually becomes only tangential to what people want to know.

Yes, the court of public opinion is different than a court of law (as if any of this will ever make it that far).

At the same time, if you won't put it past him to do steroids, why would you put it past him to find something even better, where his power can come back?

I think he hits for a monster average, 10 hr's and good run rbi totals.

But your chiming in on every todd helton thread is getting old. You should get your own sticky on the subject. (And I somewhat agree with you.)
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers