Detroit Closer Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Detroit Closer Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CeeLoGreen » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:37 pm

I have owned Zumaya all year along with Shields and together they have acted like a sixth starter. More than a K per inning, 3 wins, 1 save, nice ERA and WHIP. Can't really ask for more in roto. If he starts or closes, all the better.
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby grandslam » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:39 pm

Just getting Jones out of the closer's role isn't going to be enough. I don't want this guy coming on with a lead or tie period. What's the difference if he blows the game in the 7th or 9th? Our offense is bad so any lead lost in the late innings is likely to be a L.

I'm hoping Jones gets moved to mopup or released. He's the worst pitcher on the team; we have several pitchers in the minors better than him. He's leading the team in losses as the closer. He's totally worthless and this mistake should be made to go away.

Things are really getting ugly for Jones. Leyland keeps putting him into situations he can't succeed in and the fans hate him for failing. Talk radio is all over Jones; he got booed at the stadium last night. I don't think this situation can go on for much longer. People aren't going to put up with him blowing winnable games for this team.

It's a joke that a guy with a 7.27 ERA, 1.62 WHIP, only 7 K's in 26 innings is closing for a team in first place. Leyland really needs to pull his head out of his a** on this issue. It will take more games blown for Jones to be removed. Leyland has nobody to blame but himself if we end up losing this division by a few games because of this situation.
grandslam
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:17 pm

rotoworld

Todd Jones has been one of the Tigers’ worst relievers all season, and his days as the team’s closer almost have to be numbered after coughing up yet another game Wednesday. Jones pitched a scoreless 11th inning against the Devil Rays, but then gave up four runs in the 12th to drop to 1-5 with a 7.27 ERA on the year.

Perhaps most concerning? After striking out 62 batters in 73 innings with the Marlins last season, the 38-year-old Jones has seven measly strikeouts in 26 innings this year. In some cases sticking with Jones might make sense, but the Tigers actually have several other options that are far more appealing.

Rookie flamethrower Joel Zumaya is 3-0 with a 2.12 ERA and fantastic 43-to-17 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 34 innings. Jones’ primary setup man, Fernando Rodney, is 4-2 with a 2.59 ERA in 31.1 innings and did a fine job taking over ninth-inning duties when Jones was on the disabled list.

While the Tigers cling to first place in the AL Central despite Jones’ best efforts, here are some other notes from around baseball …
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:13 pm

I think its gotta go to Rodeny before jones
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:06 pm

Leyland is stubborn. He will allow Jones to work himself through this a little longer. I fully expect the next save opp to go to Jones assuming he is available when it comes. And it must be so obvious just by looking at my avatar, just how happy I will be to see him out there.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby d18Mike » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:05 pm

My thoughts and consistent prediction on this subject (summary: Jones stinks, will be replaced by AS Game) are on the other 107 Jones/Rodney threads since the opening day ....

Just a little to pile-on here, Brendan Donnelly of the Angels is openly complaining about not getting the ball nearly enough in ANA. Well, come to Detroit, pal. We'd love to give it to you on a regular basis. If we could trade Jones for Donnelly, I think Tiger fans would rejoice.

You guys who aren't in DET can't imagine the palpable let down all Tiger fans feel when Jones waddles out to the mound. You know in your gut it just can't go on much longer.

Most DET fans love Leyland -- but if he costs us respectability this year by blidly trotting out a 7.00 ERA , because of some irrational loyalty he'll never be forgiven.
Last edited by d18Mike on Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:10 pm

d18Mike wrote:My thoughts and consistent prediction on this subject (summary: Jones stinks, will be replaced by AS Game) are on the other 107 Jones/Rodney threads since the opening day ....

Just a little to pile-on here, Brendan Donnelly of the Angels is openly complaining about not getting the ball nearly enough in ANA. Well, come to Detroit, pal. We'd love to give it to you on a regular basis. If we could trade Jones for Donnelly, I think Tiger fans would rejoice.

You guys who aren't in DET can't imagine the palpable let down all Tiger fans feel when Jones waddles out to the mound. You know in your gut it just can't go on much longer.

Most DET fans love Leyland -- but if he costs us respectability this year by blidly trotting out a 7.00 ERA , he'll never be forgiven.

hahah thats a funny post.

Donnelly was awesome till his nose started bleeding all the time.

Still pretty good though
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby d18Mike » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:13 pm

Here's your chance to vote on the Detroit Closer, courtesy of the Detroit Free Press.

http://info.detnews.com/tigers/lettersi ... =tigertalk
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CeeLoGreen » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:50 pm

d18Mike wrote:Here's your chance to vote on the Detroit Closer, courtesy of the Detroit Free Press.

http://info.detnews.com/tigers/lettersi ... =tigertalk

Update on this poll

Zumaya: 67.52%
Rodney: 24.39%
Jones: 8.09%

Didn't think Rodney and Zooms would be that far apart.
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:59 pm

Zumaya's the sexy pick and therefore the one that's going to win with your casual fans. He's also the one I'd like to see closing next year.

For this year I'd like to see Rodney closing. I understand why they're having Jones close right now...it was just a stupid signing in the first place.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers