Detroit Closer Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Detroit Closer Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Red Sox Nation » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:06 pm

j24jags wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:I wonder if Jones is hurt. He was doing fine and leading the league in saves until about a couple of weeks ago when he just imploded. He was fine all of last season too, so you just have to wonder if something is wrong with the guy. Or maybe age has all of a sudden caught up with him. Either way, I have had Jones benched now for the past week and he is getting close to a cut should this pattern continue. He is not only blowing saves but blowing saves with 1 IP 4 ER performances.

He hasn't led the league in saves, Papelbon has led all year :-?

That's false now. Izzy of St. Louis has 21 saves. Pap only has 20. He only has 1 in June. Jenks is pretty close with 19.

Here's the number of saves through the beginning of June 15th.
J. Isringhausen (21, St. Louis)
J. Papelbon (20, Boston)
B. Jenks (19, Chicago White Sox)
D. Turnbow (19, Milwaukee)
T. Gordon (18, Philly)
Lidge (HOU) and Jones (DET) 17
Ray (BAL) and Ryan (TOR) 16
F-Rod (LAAA), Hoffman (SD), Street (OAK) 15

I heard Zumaya was gonna start in place of Maroth. I like Zumaya's pitches and I think he should be put into the starting rotation.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby u_fig_eater » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:14 pm

Sooooo...for fantasy purposes, is Zumaya worth getting?
u_fig_eater
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bluejkrew » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:16 pm

Red Sox Nation wrote:
j24jags wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:I wonder if Jones is hurt. He was doing fine and leading the league in saves until about a couple of weeks ago when he just imploded. He was fine all of last season too, so you just have to wonder if something is wrong with the guy. Or maybe age has all of a sudden caught up with him. Either way, I have had Jones benched now for the past week and he is getting close to a cut should this pattern continue. He is not only blowing saves but blowing saves with 1 IP 4 ER performances.

That's false now. Izzy of St. Louis has 21 saves. Pap only has 20. He only has 1 in June. Jenks is pretty close with 19.

J. Papelbon (20, Boston)
T. Gordon (18, Philly)

I heard Zumaya was gonna start in place of Maroth. I like Zumaya's pitches and I think he should be put into the starting rotation.

Where did you hear Zumaya would start??
bluejkrew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:18 pm

bluejkrew wrote:
Red Sox Nation wrote:
j24jags wrote:

J. Papelbon (20, Boston)
T. Gordon (18, Philly)

Where did you hear Zumaya would start??

:-? probably some hack reporter that knows nothing about the Tigers. Zach Minor is going a decent job of that
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Red Sox Nation » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:36 pm

Somewhere, I forgot the source. Well, who's the best candidate to fill in for Maroth? They're gonna call up a minor league guy? That's just silly. He's obviously the best candidate so far considering how well he's done. He'll be what Liriano is to the Twins except to the Tigers. In fact, I'd like to see him start vs any other prospect pitcher.

Yes, Zumaya is worth getting fantasy wise if you need a relief pitcher to "eat" up unused innings or to get you Ks and only if it's a large league.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stumpak » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:04 pm

Interestingly, Rodney pitched the 9th today. Not an official save situation since it was 6-2, but maybe a harbinger of things to come.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:11 pm

Zumaya has been a successful starter his entire career until now. I think he's developed a think enough skin to close. Plus, with his stuff mistakes aren't as costly.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 107)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:15 pm

Zumaya has been a successful starter his entire career until now. I think he's developed a thick enough skin to close. Plus, with his stuff mistakes aren't as costly.
Last edited by Havok1517 on Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 107)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:17 pm

Red Sox Nation wrote:Somewhere, I forgot the source. Well, who's the best candidate to fill in for Maroth? They're gonna call up a minor league guy? That's just silly. He's obviously the best candidate so far considering how well he's done. He'll be what Liriano is to the Twins except to the Tigers. In fact, I'd like to see him start vs any other prospect pitcher.

Yes, Zumaya is worth getting fantasy wise if you need a relief pitcher to "eat" up unused innings or to get you Ks and only if it's a large league.

yeah, i mean how silly to call up a minor leaguer who's now 2-1 and has been starting in the minors all year. they should have tossed that "veteran" Zumaya right in the starting gig even though he only pitches 1-2 innings a night ;-7

face it guys, Zumaya is an amazing talent and i love watching the guy pitch, but right now he's most valuable to the Tigers current staff as a setup man out of the pen and has marginal fantasy value at best
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:27 pm

stumpak wrote:Interestingly, Rodney pitched the 9th today. Not an official save situation since it was 6-2, but maybe a harbinger of things to come.

:-? or it could be becasue Zumaya and Jones both pitched 2 innings last night
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers