I'm finally starting to hate h2h... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'm finally starting to hate h2h...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Rhino Tuff » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:18 am

In your H2H points league how much is a save or a hold worth? We have two philosophies in our league we have seven open pitching slots but

Saves are worth 8 points
Holds are worth 8 points
Wins are worth 10 points
K's are worth 1 point
Innings are worth 1 point
Earned Runs are worth -.5
BBI are worth -.5

This way the pitching is spread out. There is less movement because we charge a $1 dollar for add/drops.

My philosophy is to have 3 closers 4 closers and then just a stable of decent pitchers that I can shift in and out with two starts. So a guy comes at me with 14 starts, and I know probably about half of those aren't going to be strong starts anyway, so I just start my three to four quality starters and my good closers and pick up the W's with my superior hitting line up...
Rhino Tuff
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I'm finally starting to hate h2h...

Postby swyck » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:47 am

tinfoilxtouch wrote:Everyone always says that too much luck is involved in h2h leagues. On the other hand, I've always thought that even over the course of a week, things will even out...

Until this week.

I'll save the details of my roster, but basically I've built an all-star team at one oblivious owner's expense. We've done five or six deals this year, and almost all of them have been close to being vetoed for favoring me. At the moment, (excluding catcher), the latest any of my hitters were drafted is 41st overall. He has nobody left drafted in the top 50, except for Ichiro. This week we finally faced off...

I'm down 13 runs and 16 RBI. After three days. 8-o

It makes me wish there was a "toss-away" week, for the series in which your team is furthest away from their statistical mean. :-[

Maybe next season I will look into roto.

So you think you should go undefeated just because you have a good team? 8-o
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby hybrid » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:49 am

tinfoilxtouch wrote:Everyone who has mentioned Karma must have a point. I've now changed my smack-talk to "This week is clearly god smiting me for my bogus trades". I'm now down 20 runs and 22 RBI. 8-o

Maybe you should start making more fair trades, instead of worrying about karma. If you keep offering trades like that eventually the good owners won't want to deal with you at all. Then you are just stuck in a league w/ bad owners who your ripping off, seems pretty boring to me.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:18 am

ThisOneGuy wrote:Try a H2H points league, if you think that's bad. I'm finally starting to hate my money league that I've been in for years.

In a points league, ERA, WHIP, etc. don't matter, so you're better off with 3-4 spots at the end of your bench that you can use to pick up '2-start' guys each week.

There is no innings limit and since ERA and WHIP mean nothing, the only penalty for starting an average pitcher is you might not get a lot of points, but with 2 starts, there's a very good chance you'll outscore a good 1-start pitcher. Since wins depend so much on the rest of a pitcher's team, a lot of times these 2-start guys will luck into 2 wins in a week and have a real good shot at at least 1. So really, you're probably better off starting an average 2-start guy over a really good pitcher who only starts once that week.

What this has done to our league is this:

Noone has any hitters on their bench, literally. You just can't afford it.

Some teams start 7 starting pitchers and no closers every week.

Some teams cut 3-4 guys every Monday and pick up 3-4 '2-start' guys for the next week.

Teams who have quality guys at the end of their bench are unable to do this, so you're basically rewarded for drafting a team with a bunch of expendable players at the end of your bench.

The worst part about it is, our whole league has basically come down to who has more 2-start pitchers for the week. If you have 5 2-start guys and your opponent only has 2, you're basically guaranteed a win for that week. It's getting worse too, as more owners are realizing this is what you need to do to win.

It just doesn't seem like that's how fantasy baseball was meant to be played.

So, in your league, guys can luck into a win every once in a while, but at least they can't cheese their way into a bunch of wins throughout the season, or even a championship.

i'm in a similar league and we had the same complaints last year. this year we added deeper benches so that everyone can stash away their 2-start guys and put in a transaction limit of 25.

i used the strategy alot last year, but i can honestly say i've gotten burnt by my 2 start guys just as often as they've helped.

it just really sucks for the playoffs though, if you happen to go up against a guy with 5 more starts than you, but over the regular season it seems to balance out

we also made our championship 2 weeks to help balance that out as well
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers