I'm finally starting to hate h2h... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'm finally starting to hate h2h...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby u_fig_eater » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:17 pm

Yeah I quit H2H for roto this year. Last year I had a kick butt team in the playoffs. But one bad week where my bats went cold and I was OUT. And I lost by 1 SO. Im serious. I will never play in a H2H ever again. Roto is more realistic. You have to think in the long term. Baseball is not football, its not a week to week game. In football I always go H2H.
u_fig_eater
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J.C.Fighter » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:18 pm

Roto sucks for baseball .... its bad

Roto is good for basketball

;-D
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Red Sox Nation » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:40 pm

ThisOneGuy wrote:Try a H2H points league, if you think that's bad. I'm finally starting to hate my money league that I've been in for years.

In a points league, ERA, WHIP, etc. don't matter, so you're better off with 3-4 spots at the end of your bench that you can use to pick up '2-start' guys each week.

There is no innings limit and since ERA and WHIP mean nothing, the only penalty for starting an average pitcher is you might not get a lot of points, but with 2 starts, there's a very good chance you'll outscore a good 1-start pitcher. Since wins depend so much on the rest of a pitcher's team, a lot of times these 2-start guys will luck into 2 wins in a week and have a real good shot at at least 1. So really, you're probably better off starting an average 2-start guy over a really good pitcher who only starts once that week.

What this has done to our league is this:

Noone has any hitters on their bench, literally. You just can't afford it.

Some teams start 7 starting pitchers and no closers every week.

Some teams cut 3-4 guys every Monday and pick up 3-4 '2-start' guys for the next week.

Teams who have quality guys at the end of their bench are unable to do this, so you're basically rewarded for drafting a team with a bunch of expendable players at the end of your bench.

The worst part about it is, our whole league has basically come down to who has more 2-start pitchers for the week. If you have 5 2-start guys and your opponent only has 2, you're basically guaranteed a win for that week. It's getting worse too, as more owners are realizing this is what you need to do to win.

It just doesn't seem like that's how fantasy baseball was meant to be played.

So, in your league, guys can luck into a win every once in a while, but at least they can't cheese their way into a bunch of wins throughout the season, or even a championship.

In a Yahoo Public 12 team standard 5x5 league you usually draft people who can give you 4 of the 5 stats (usually SB is taken out) and for pitchers (usually saves) so you can concentrate on putting more numbers for the 4 cats (8 total). This way its easier to go 8-2 at least or 8-0.

Or join/create a private league and put a cap on transactions (add, drop, trades, etc). That'll keep it "clean".

I like roto better because it's the season stats (not really cuz your adding/dropping players). I find it easier to win roto leagues. So far this season I've been top 3 in two out of two roto leagues for the past month and a half. While my H2H I've been top 4 in a league for the past month and bottom 6 places (out of 12) for the past month in another league.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 4Pack » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:47 pm

To all managers complaining about getting beat in the H2H playoffs...with supposedly a better team: Do you always win your ROTO leagues? If not....what is the difference?

If you cannot stomach getting beat...then maybe fantasy games are not for you.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Carnac » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:21 pm

I agree with 4 pack. Brag about taking advantage of a brain dead fellow player, then throw a tantrum when he's beating you. Do the Royals ever win? Of course. Does the favorite always win the world series? Of course not. Sounds like you guys are just cry babies.

H2H is MUCH more exciting than ROTO. I play in a league (same bunch of guys for 6 years now). We play for a good amount of cash and NO ONE has ever cried like you guys. We take our losses like men, and come back another day to battle.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby roninmedia » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:37 pm

I agree with 4pack and Carnac about your view of roto. You took advantage of a guy who lacked knowledge and are in angst when he's is beating you. It's all karma. :-°

And for the head to head players complaining about the churning that goes on that contributes to losses in categories such as wins or innings pitched, check for league with limits on transactions or weekly line-ups.

H2H is the way I enjoy fantasy sports. You face off against another team and sometimes you lose some, sometimes you win, but if you team is good, you will come out with a winning record. But hey, chance is a spice of life.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Besaid_Aurochs » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:22 pm

roninmedia wrote:H2H is the way I enjoy fantasy sports. You face off against another team and sometimes you lose some, sometimes you win, but if you team is good, you will come out with a winning record. But hey, chance is a spice of life.

Amen to that. When you face one team and win, the bragging rights are way better then if you just did well one week in a roto league. The facilitation of smack talk alone is why H2H > roto.
Besaid_Aurochs
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Jumping off the nearest cliff cause I started Felix Hernandez again

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:35 pm

I'm a points league fan for life
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby roninmedia » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:42 pm

acsguitar wrote:I'm a points league fan for life

A fellow fan. ;-D
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:49 pm

Everyone who has mentioned Karma must have a point. I've now changed my smack-talk to "This week is clearly god smiting me for my bogus trades". I'm now down 20 runs and 22 RBI. 8-o
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers