What more does Kemp have to do....? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What more does Kemp have to do....?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What more does Kemp have to do....?

Postby Prooks25 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:40 am

When will the stupid Dodgers just give this guy the starting job so he doesnt have to look over his shoulder everytime he doesnt hit a HR (Which is rare in itself). The guy has 7 HRs in 45 ABs. He's batting near .400. And he's a very good fielder. Why are the Dodgers insistent on messing with this kid.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Fan » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:48 am

I wish I knew. He's doing all he can. If he's not in tomorrow's lineup...Grady is a fool. Hopefully he keeps it up and makes the decision for them (although it seems like it's already clear he should start everyday)
Fantasy Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazing Oopah » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:50 am

The kid is good, they should ride his hot streak like a lot of fantasy owners are doing ;-D
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby spacehamster01 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:10 am

15 games (hasnt started them all)

7 HRs, 16 RBI, 3 SBs, .378 AVG

He can play great defense, hit for AVG, hit for power, run the bases and drive those runners in. What else does he need to show?
spacehamster01
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Diggs » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:54 am

I figured it out!!!!!!! ;-D

Grady Little is Havok. Havok is Grady Little. They are the only two poeple in the nation who don't think that a 6'2'', 230 lb beast who's hitting .378 with a .420 .OBP, 7 HRs, 16 RBI, 13 runs scored, and 3 SB in only 45 at bats should not be starting everyday.

HTH.
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Diggs » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:11 am

June 15, 2006

Matt Kemp Hits Home Runs, Play Him

The rookie has seven homers in 45 at-bats. Including a pinch hit homer last night in San Diego. Why was it a pinch hit homer? Because for some reason when you have six homers in 44 at-bats that's not good enough to get in the lineup if you're on the division leading Dodgers.

Los Angeles lost last night to San Diego 5-3, mostly due to the handy work of the Padre rookie pitcher who only allowed three hits in his seven innings of work.

LA-faithfull know what the Blue Crew are doing. They're trying to mimic the 2003 Florida Marlins' two-lead off hitter back-to-back speed attack when the Fish threw Juan Pierre and Luis Castillo at people and got some runs on the board immediately. And with newly-acquired shortstop Rafael Furcal hitting a measly .248, you can see why you'd want to hedge your bets and put the 39 years-young Kenny Lofton (.315) up there batting second. Someone's bound to get on and steal second with one out and the hot hitting Nomah up at the plate.

But we think that's crazy talk. Andre Ethier needs to ride the bench instead of starting in left field where Kemp should be. Why wouldn't you want a left-handed pinch hitter to compliment the Tomato Can?

And what do the Dodgers have against home run hitters? This is a team who is tied for first in a very competitive division and their top slugger, J.D. Drew, only has nine dingers, just three homers since May 3. Thats nine shots in 207 ABs. Our boy Kemp has seven in 45 ABs. Bench Ethier.

Let Lofton lead off, let Nomar bat second, Kemp third, Drew, then Kent and Furcal. That's not a bad lineup when you have guys like Willy Aybar who's basically a rookie hitting a steady .300 and batting seventh. In his 27 starts, Aybar has had an 0-for just twice all year. He's gotten a hit in 17 of his last 18 games. If Kent wouldn't a tizzy, Aybar oughtta be in the #2 slot and everyone gets pushed back a notch, but imagine Jeff Kent feeling good about hitting 7th.

Our advice is to play the kids. Allow some home runs. Make it fun again to go back to Chavez Ravine. And nothing says fun more than rookie sensations hitting the crud out of the ball.
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Diggs » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:16 am

KEMP MAY HAVE 'FINALLY' DONE IT! Read the bold comments by Grady Little:

The Dodgers led in this game briefly when rookie Willy Aybar slugged a two-run homer in the top of the second inning off Mike Thompson. It was Aybar's third home run as the replacement for the injured Bill Mueller, who is out indefinitely because his knee is not responding following surgery. Aybar is hitting .302.

Sometimes, like with Aybar, you back into playing opportunity. Sometimes, you make it undeniable.

That's what Kemp is doing, even though his opportunities have been limited because manager Grady Little has been alternating him in left field with Andre Ethier, who is hitting .299.

But Kemp has seven home runs, all in June, prompting the obvious question: How can Little keep him out of the lineup?

"That will be difficult," said Little, conceding that Kemp apparently has won an everyday job. "It will be very difficult for a while."

Called up from Double-A 2 1/2 weeks ago, the 21-year-old Kemp has thrust himself into Rookie of the Year consideration. He's hitting .378 with as many home runs as Nomar Garciaparra and one more than Jeff Kent.

"The way the field is playing, I didn't know if it was going out," he said of the blast, which is tied for fifth-longest in PETCO Park history. "Like I've been saying, I'm seeing the ball real good and getting good pitches to hit and taking advantage of it."

He leads the club with an .867 slugging percentage and a .420 on-base percentage. And he's missed 50 of the team's 65 games.

"I don't know you can expect this much from a normal human being," said Little. "He's a special player."

This was Kemp's first pinch-hitting appearance in the Major Leagues and probably his last for a while. He said he couldn't remember the last time he did it in the Minor Leagues.

"You sit and watch the game until they call on you," he said. "You just go in and try to get something started."
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:28 am

good news...about time! dodgers and angels looked like they were competing for the bonehead management award:

send jered weaver down VS bench matt kemp
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Diggs » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:35 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:good news...about time! dodgers and angels looked like they were competing for the bonehead management award:

send jered weaver down VS bench matt kemp

I own them both!!!!! ;-D

:-o
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:50 am

Diggs wrote:I figured it out!!!!!!! ;-D

Grady Little is Havok. Havok is Grady Little. They are the only two poeple in the nation who don't think that a 6'2'', 230 lb beast who's hitting .378 with a .420 .OBP, 7 HRs, 16 RBI, 13 runs scored, and 3 SB in only 45 at bats should not be starting everyday.

HTH.

I like Kemp, not as much as I do Guzman, but I like him and he should for sure be the starting CF, at least until his hot streak ends. You need to realize that I like the guy and think he's a good prospect just not elite. Lofton isn't anything special anymore and the only reason why he is getting some starts is because of his cost. Kemp should for sure be the starting CF right now.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers