Billingsley - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Billingsley

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:49 pm

I don't think they would have called him up unless they were going to keep him around. They need all the help they can get too, what with the Seo/Odalis difficulties. You know that Aaron Sele's not going to get it done all year either.

I think Billingsley's up to stay.

As for his projections, he was Baseball America's #7 prospect for 2006, immediately following F. Liriano, and ahead of Verlander (#8), Cain (#10), Scott Olsen (#34) and the mighty Hamels (#68).
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby uclanima » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:37 pm

mak1277 wrote:I don't think they would have called him up unless they were going to keep him around. They need all the help they can get too, what with the Seo/Odalis difficulties. You know that Aaron Sele's not going to get it done all year either.

As for his projections, he was Baseball America's #7 prospect for 2006, immediately following F. Liriano, and ahead of Verlander (#8), Cain (#10), Scott Olsen (#34) and the mighty Hamels (#68).

really, immediately following liriano? Liriano is a stud. Wow, that says something I guess, but then again, what information did they base it on. Like I said, his minor league stats are nothing special. Does the kid just have some crazy stuff? What pitches does he throw and throw well?
uclanima
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mak1277 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:55 pm

uclanima wrote:
mak1277 wrote:I don't think they would have called him up unless they were going to keep him around. They need all the help they can get too, what with the Seo/Odalis difficulties. You know that Aaron Sele's not going to get it done all year either.

really, immediately following liriano? Liriano is a stud. Wow, that says something I guess, but then again, what information did they base it on. Like I said, his minor league stats are nothing special. Does the kid just have some crazy stuff? What pitches does he throw and throw well?

Fastball can get upwards of 96 with a low 90's sinker. Supposedly has a great slider (didn't use it much in his first start) and a good curve. Lots of comments about his mound presence, tenacity, etc.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby uclanima » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:59 pm

I'm thinking about picking up Soler instead, particularly since it won't cost me a waiver. Who is better between the 2. 5 great years in Cuba's league for Soler sounds good to me. Wouldn't mind both, but really don't want to drop Duke. Getting rid of Ponson though. Trash is ticking me off.
uclanima
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TurdFerguson » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:05 pm

uclanima wrote:I don't get the hype on him. His minor league stats weren't all that great, even if he got them in a hitter's park.

His first start was nothing to get too excited about either. 6 hits and 2 walks with 2 runs in 5.1.

He's supposed to be the best prospect that hadn't been called up yet, but is he supposed to be as good as Hamels or even Weaver? What kind of stuff does he have?

I wish I had used my waiver on Weaver though. I had it, then cancelled it hoping nobody would waive him and I could get him after he cleared. That's what I get for being greedy.
He has much better stuff than Weaver.Its to close to call with Hamels even though Billingsley throws about 4 to 5 different pitches.He is going to be very good but I dont know how consistent he will be this year.He is definitely up for good unless he absolutely tanks
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby uclanima » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:27 pm

TurdFerguson wrote:
uclanima wrote:I don't get the hype on him. His minor league stats weren't all that great, even if he got them in a hitter's park.

His first start was nothing to get too excited about either. 6 hits and 2 walks with 2 runs in 5.1.

He's supposed to be the best prospect that hadn't been called up yet, but is he supposed to be as good as Hamels or even Weaver? What kind of stuff does he have?

I wish I had used my waiver on Weaver though. I had it, then cancelled it hoping nobody would waive him and I could get him after he cleared. That's what I get for being greedy.
He has much better stuff than Weaver.Its to close to call with Hamels even though Billingsley throws about 4 to 5 different pitches.He is going to be very good but I dont know how consistent he will be this year.He is definitely up for good unless he absolutely tanks

Thanks for the good information. My question is then, if he's got such great stuff, why the average numbers in the minors. I understand that he pitched in a hitter's park and apparently in a "hitter's league" (whatever that means), but why did he have almost a 4.00 there, and also a 3.51 era in Jax if his stuff is so great. If his stuff is so much better than weaver, why did he put up those numbers while Weaver had under a 2.00 with far fewer walks (9 to 32) in about the same number of innings.

His control doesn't seem to be the best (i'm in a H2H league that counts walks) either.
uclanima
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TurdFerguson » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:09 pm

uclanima wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

Thanks for the good information. My question is then, if he's got such great stuff, why the average numbers in the minors. I understand that he pitched in a hitter's park and apparently in a "hitter's league" (whatever that means), but why did he have almost a 4.00 there, and also a 3.51 era in Jax if his stuff is so great. If his stuff is so much better than weaver, why did he put up those numbers while Weaver had under a 2.00 with far fewer walks (9 to 32) in about the same number of innings.

His control doesn't seem to be the best (i'm in a H2H league that counts walks) either.
You already mentioned one(ballpark) and he has had some command problems is the other, not to mention he is only 21.The stuff is there
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby issaquah stud » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:33 pm

For those who say not to drop Garcia, would it be worthwhile to drop Mulder for the guy?
1BPujolsHuff
2BWeeks
3BCabrera
SSPeralta
IFSoriano OFSizemoreAlouCocoRVlad
PRoyHMULDERCainMadduxVerlanderESCOBAR Liriano
RPNathanCoffeyPapelbonGagne
issaquah stud
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigbadfridge » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:10 pm

how bout dropping josh johnson for him?? I have this waiver request pending I could cancel though if you guys dont think this is worth it
bigbadfridge
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:39 am

bigbadfridge wrote:how bout dropping josh johnson for him?? I have this waiver request pending I could cancel though if you guys dont think this is worth it

i'd keep Josh
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates