GIANT Concerns! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

GIANT Concerns!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: GIANT Concerns!

Postby Deuce » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:39 pm

Havok1517 wrote:I would loooking at the Giants current roster and prospects coming up and I'm very worried about the future of the team. Teams like the Royals, Marlins, & Devil Rays have a bunch of great young talent that will greatly improve their teams.

Granted, the AJ from Min trade that gave up a ton of prospects (Nathan, Liriano, Bonser, etc.) is over and done with so might as well move on from there even though I believe that move set the SF franchise back 3-5 years. But what are the Giants planning to do in the next few years? Bonds (42), Alou (40), Durham (35), Schmidt (33), Benitez (33), Vizquel (39) & Finley (41) are all at the end of their respectable to legendary careers. All of the guys mentioned, besides Benitez & Vizquel (Finley's option won't be picked up), are FA after this year. Maybe they resign Schmidt, Bonds, & Alou and move one of the OF to 1B. But I think its obvious that SF lacks any game changing offensive players. As good as Winn & Feliz are, and they're decent, they aren't superstars by any means.

The SF farm system does have a few good prospects to pick up the pieces like the superfast Marcus Sanders taking over for Durham (FA to be), Merkin Valdez who will take up a setup role and probably take over as closer in 2008, & Eddy Martinez-Esteve who will probably take over a OF position if both Alou and Bonds aren't resigned. But aside from those 3 guys I think the future of the Giants looks bleak especially on offense. Sabean has appears to have ran this franchise into the ground. What do you think?

I agree. I have also been saying this for about 3 years. When the old guys retire, hopefully Sabean retires with them. When Bonds retires, the seats will begin to resemble Candlestick Park. Watch for a .500 season this year and worse next.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Deuce » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:52 pm

IMO, it is time for the Giants to cut bait. Trade Bonds before the trade deadline along with Benitez and Durham and pick a boat load of young talent. They don't have to go together, they just have to go. I am one of Bonds biggest fans (read my previous posts), but he does not have the legs to carry this team any longer. The guys surrounding him (aside from Alou, Schmidt & Vizquel) can't even carry themselves. This team is old, tired and the fans have lost interest. The fans coming to the park today aren't there for baseball. They have come to see a new park. And a few to see a Bonds milestone. There won't be many of those anytime soon. At the end of the season, the Giants will have a boat load of money and no one to spend it on. NOw is the time for the Giants to put the shoe on the other foot and take advantage of Barry. How will the fans feel after this season, if Barry walks away to another team, when they could have traded him for young talent.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ravenmad22 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:02 pm

God I hate Sabean's guts. He's made his name on basically 2 lucky trades and one big signing, namely acquiring Schmidt and Kent a while back, and of course the bonds signing.

But really he has run this team into the ground in recent years. The pierzynski trade aside (which I hated even at the time), what has he done for this team? NOTHING. He's ridden Bonds' coattails to several above average seasons.

I'll still keep going to the games because the stadium rocks, and the team is decently competitive, but Sabean needs to go.

- The Lunatic Fringe
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers