GIANT Concerns! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

GIANT Concerns!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

GIANT Concerns!

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:18 pm

I would loooking at the Giants current roster and prospects coming up and I'm very worried about the future of the team. Teams like the Royals, Marlins, & Devil Rays have a bunch of great young talent that will greatly improve their teams.

Granted, the AJ from Min trade that gave up a ton of prospects (Nathan, Liriano, Bonser, etc.) is over and done with so might as well move on from there even though I believe that move set the SF franchise back 3-5 years. But what are the Giants planning to do in the next few years? Bonds (42), Alou (40), Durham (35), Schmidt (33), Benitez (33), Vizquel (39) & Finley (41) are all at the end of their respectable to legendary careers. All of the guys mentioned, besides Benitez & Vizquel (Finley's option won't be picked up), are FA after this year. Maybe they resign Schmidt, Bonds, & Alou and move one of the OF to 1B. But I think its obvious that SF lacks any game changing offensive players. As good as Winn & Feliz are, and they're decent, they aren't superstars by any means.

The SF farm system does have a few good prospects to pick up the pieces like the superfast Marcus Sanders taking over for Durham (FA to be), Merkin Valdez who will take up a setup role and probably take over as closer in 2008, & Eddy Martinez-Esteve who will probably take over a OF position if both Alou and Bonds aren't resigned. But aside from those 3 guys I think the future of the Giants looks bleak especially on offense. Sabean has appears to have ran this franchise into the ground. What do you think?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j24jags » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:28 pm

Cain, Accardo, Sanders, Niekro are all young. They're definitely going to have to make some trades/FA Signings soon if they want to compete.

Also, Tim Slinecumb (spelling), the rookie they took first round this year, could be something special. I was looking at the scouting tapes on mlb.com and he was the most impressive out of anyone.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:34 pm

j24jags wrote:Cain, Accardo, Sanders, Niekro are all young. They're definitely going to have to make some trades/FA Signings soon if they want to compete.

Also, Tim Slinecumb (spelling), the rookie they took first round this year, could be something special. I was looking at the scouting tapes on mlb.com and he was the most impressive out of anyone.

Their pitching isn't as much in question since Lowry & Cain are going to be studs, Morris is only 31 (though he's lost a step or 2), and I think the resign Schmidt. Not sure bout the draft picks since they are a few years away from being in the majors but Niekro wouldn't start on most MLB teams. Their prospects on offense scare because they don't have much.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby garf112 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:21 pm

The Giants haven't developed an everyday starter since Bill Mueller. Yes... it has been that long. And they don't have much in the minors now, especially with Marcus Sanders playing as poorly as he is.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby j24jags » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:23 pm

garf112 wrote:The Giants haven't developed an everyday starter since Bill Mueller. Yes... it has been that long. And they don't have much in the minors now, especially with Marcus Sanders playing as poorly as he is.

Sanders has turned it around as of late, but there are still several holes to fill. I remember Ellison filled in pretty well last year, I don't know much about him. Is he young or good enough to be an everyday player?
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:24 pm

j24jags wrote:
garf112 wrote:The Giants haven't developed an everyday starter since Bill Mueller. Yes... it has been that long. And they don't have much in the minors now, especially with Marcus Sanders playing as poorly as he is.

Sanders has turned it around as of late, but there are still several holes to fill. I remember Ellison filled in pretty well last year, I don't know much about him. Is he young or good enough to be an everyday player?

no, no he's not.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:28 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
j24jags wrote:

no, no he's not.

I hate ellison and I have no confidence in him, hes really streaky
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Postby Armed and Hammered » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:40 pm

When all those guys retire they are gonna spend that freed up $40+ million on free agents. Same thing they did to acquire all those guys in the first place. Long gone are the days of an all home grown infield of Will, Robby, Uribe and Matty Williams. :~( :~(
Armed and Hammered
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:54 pm

Armed and Hammered wrote:When all those guys retire they are gonna spend that freed up $40+ million on free agents. Same thing they did to acquire all those guys in the first place. Long gone are the days of an all home grown infield of Will, Robby, Uribe and Matty Williams. :~( :~(

FA Market next year isn't great at all. Carlos Lee seems like the only guy there.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby stumpak » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:54 pm

By the way, Merkin Valdez' name is hilarious if it so happens that you know what "merkin" means in English.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers