Do closers get more Saves home or away? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do closers get more Saves home or away?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do closers get more Saves home or away?

Postby drpiranha » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:46 pm

If you take the top 10 closers in baseball, do they get more saves at home or on the road.

The natural inclination is to assume at home, since most teams have better records at home.

However, if a game is tied after the 8th inning, it is impossible for the home team to get a save and if the road team wins, they will get a save opportunity every time they don't score more than 3 runs to take the lead.

If anyone has access to these stats it would be very helpful for those of us that may want to rotate quality closers.
drpiranha
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:59 pm

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but it's an article which highlights, among other things, that closers have a bigger impact on a team's succes in away situations than in home situations.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... icleid=648
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Do closers get more Saves home or away?

Postby The Jury » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:54 pm

drpiranha wrote:If you take the top 10 closers in baseball, do they get more saves at home or on the road.

The natural inclination is to assume at home, since most teams have better records at home.

However, if a game is tied after the 8th inning, it is impossible for the home team to get a save and if the road team wins, they will get a save opportunity every time they don't score more than 3 runs to take the lead.

If anyone has access to these stats it would be very helpful for those of us that may want to rotate quality closers.

I respectfully disagree with everything in this statement.

My natural inclination would be to think that in a vacuum, closers get more opportunities on the road. If you win in the 9th on the road, there's a save opp. If you win in the 9th at home, there is no save.

As for the second part, there are a few teams that win a lot of games every year and have are in the upper portion of the league in save opps, but teams don't need to battle for the league lead in wins to produce league-leading save opps. You can find more information on this in other threads in Baseball Leftovers.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby garf112 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:02 pm

The Jury wrote:
drpiranha wrote:If you take the top 10 closers in baseball, do they get more saves at home or on the road.

My natural inclination would be to think that in a vacuum, closers get more opportunities on the road. If you win in the 9th on the road, there's a save opp. If you win in the 9th at home, there is no save.

As for the second part, there are a few teams that win a lot of games every year and have are in the upper portion of the league in save opps, but teams don't need to battle for the league lead in wins to produce league-leading save opps. You can find more information on this in other threads in Baseball Leftovers.

...which is exactly what he went on to say in the second part of the thread. :-°
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby The Jury » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:00 pm

garf112 wrote:
The Jury wrote:

...which is exactly what he went on to say in the second part of the thread. :-°

I addressed 2 things, thanks :-°
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby drpiranha » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:14 pm

I did some leg work on this.

I looked up the situational stats for every reliever who saved more than 20 games last year. That represented 25 pitchers.

There were a total of 886 saves with those 25 pitchers.
431 or 48.65% of the saves were at home.
455 or 51.35% of the saves were on the road.

10 of the 25 pitchers had more saves at home.
13 of the 25 pitchers had more saves on the road
2 pitchers had an equal number of saves at home and on the road.
drpiranha
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby stevethumb » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:18 pm

nicely done, drpiranha ;-D
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby The Jury » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:00 pm

drpiranha wrote:I did some leg work on this.

I looked up the situational stats for every reliever who saved more than 20 games last year. That represented 25 pitchers.

There were a total of 886 saves with those 25 pitchers.
431 or 48.65% of the saves were at home.
455 or 51.35% of the saves were on the road.

10 of the 25 pitchers had more saves at home.
13 of the 25 pitchers had more saves on the road
2 pitchers had an equal number of saves at home and on the road.

Excellent work. Yeah, I had a feeling saves would be evenly dispersed, and in the case they are not, over a large enough sample size, the tipping of the scale would go to the road side.

But mostly saves are pretty randomly distributed road vs. home.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby theonetheonlypv » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:22 pm

i've noticed saves can sometimes be a crapshoot, because so much is dependent on how the rest of the team is playing.
theonetheonlypv
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mugrila » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:04 am

theonetheonlypv wrote:i've noticed saves can sometimes be a crapshoot, because so much is dependent on how the rest of the team is playing.

A lot of statistics are dependent on the rest of the team. Runs-rbis-wins-etc. There's a lot that goes in to all of these stats and the saves category is no exception.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers