Mike and Mark: The Power(less) Rangers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike and Mark: The Power(less) Rangers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby FuriousGod » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:32 am

Texeira = Beltre

Bust of the year.
FuriousGod
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wade Boggs' Mustache » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:41 am

A's wrote:before I say what I am gonna say it will seem weird to you but just think about it.
My theory is a curse that is in the AL West, The people who have been victim's of the curse are Beltre, coming from the dodgers hitting 46 homeruns the previous year and and complete dud with the mariner's, same with his teammate sexson, he did well last year but has also been a dud this year, curse anyone ?
Now Teixeira and m. young are going thru on the rangers.
On the angels it was S. Finley who hit 37 homeruns for the diamondbacks the previous year and was a complete dud with the angels. plus his teammates are feeling it and did feel it (Glaus), now its G. Anderson. And V. Guerrero hasn't been as good when he was with the expos.
The athletics it was D. Justice a couple years ago. And J. Kendall as the current player going thru it.

It seems players in the AL WEst get their power taken away, a curse or just imagining it ?

Umm, I think it's actually more logical to point the finger at performance enhancing drugs, but that's just me...
Wade Boggs' Mustache
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stikmata » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:15 am

WittyC wrote:There is absolutely nothing to worry about with Teix. The kid has been streaky, even during his last two breakout seasons. Let's not forget the 13-homer July of '03. Last year he started hot, cooled off in July/August, then blew up for 9 HR and 35 RBI in September!

I'm buying low on this kid across the board. He's going to explode any time now, and you'll be happy to have him on your squad. ;-D

LMFAO!!!!

reverse psychology from a Teix owner hoping to get SOMETHING for his fallen star

:*)
stikmata
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:31 am

What I find funny is people who are simply looking at the stat sheets and not listening to Ranger fans here. If you've seen a large number of Ranger games, you know he has been hitting a TON of doubles, several of them have been hit off the wall. It won't be much longer until the Texas heat carries those balls out of the ballpark.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:09 pm

Lots of talk about Tex here, but I'm interested in hearing about Young. I'm just hoping he's in a slump right now and it's not going to be a bad year, because there are way more 0-fers and 1-fers this year out of him than I ever remember when owning him in the past.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby swyck » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:12 pm

Roadie wrote:Someone say roids????

No! :-[
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby garf112 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:10 pm

A's wrote:before I say what I am gonna say it will seem weird to you but just think about it.
My theory is a curse that is in the AL West, The people who have been victim's of the curse are Beltre, coming from the dodgers hitting 46 homeruns the previous year and and complete dud with the mariner's, same with his teammate sexson, he did well last year but has also been a dud this year, curse anyone ?
Now Teixeira and m. young are going thru on the rangers.
On the angels it was S. Finley who hit 37 homeruns for the diamondbacks the previous year and was a complete dud with the angels. plus his teammates are feeling it and did feel it (Glaus), now its G. Anderson. And V. Guerrero hasn't been as good when he was with the expos.
The athletics it was D. Justice a couple years ago. And J. Kendall as the current player going thru it.

It seems players in the AL WEst get their power taken away, a curse or just imagining it ?

Maybe the pitching in the AL West is uber good? That would be a better explanation than the whole "curse" thing. We know for a fact that Safeco and Macafee are two of the best pitchers stadiums in the AL.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby pangbones » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:03 pm

It isn't like Young was hitting 20+ HR's every year his whole career! He hit a combined 34 his first 3 years in the league, before hitting over 20 the past 2 years.

As far as Tex, I doubt he was on roids. Did he just get lucky and pass the tests the past couple years, and then decided that he'll get off them this year. :-?

I don't think so. Just because he hit 40+ HR's one year, doesn't mean he's going to do it every year. Even guys like Manny have had down years. And since there is still 3.5 months left in the season, it is a little premature to bash people for the "pace" that they're on. Take a look at Jason Bay. Everyone was bashing this guy, cuz he was on a bad pace. But then he had an incredible 10 day stretch, where he raised his Avg 32 pts, hit 10 HR's, and had 23 RBI's, and now his numbers look great.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:39 pm

slomo007 wrote:What I find funny is people who are simply looking at the stat sheets and not listening to Ranger fans here. If you've seen a large number of Ranger games, you know he has been hitting a TON of doubles, several of them have been hit off the wall. It won't be much longer until the Texas heat carries those balls out of the ballpark.

That reminds me of a hilarious call from an old Expos game. The announcer (Singleton I think) saw a well hit line drive and says:
"That's a well hit ball that will go for extra bases" the ball clears the fence...pause "about 4 of them"
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:20 pm

pangbones wrote:It isn't like Young was hitting 20+ HR's every year his whole career! He hit a combined 34 his first 3 years in the league, before hitting over 20 the past 2 years.

As far as Tex, I doubt he was on roids. Did he just get lucky and pass the tests the past couple years, and then decided that he'll get off them this year. :-?

I don't think so. Just because he hit 40+ HR's one year, doesn't mean he's going to do it every year. Even guys like Manny have had down years. And since there is still 3.5 months left in the season, it is a little premature to bash people for the "pace" that they're on. Take a look at Jason Bay. Everyone was bashing this guy, cuz he was on a bad pace. But then he had an incredible 10 day stretch, where he raised his Avg 32 pts, hit 10 HR's, and had 23 RBI's, and now his numbers look great.

A down year for Manny?...please. Check ths stats?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/ramirma02.shtml

In his worst year as a regular (1997) he hit 328 with 26 Hrs and 88 rbis.

In years that he was hurt (2000 and 2002) and only got 430 or so ABs, he STILL put up:

2000:
.351 38/122

2002:
.349 33/107

Tex or Helton can dream of such ability. And no one thinks Manny is a juicer.

Manny Ramirez is a first ballot HOF'er already imo.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers