Mike and Mark: The Power(less) Rangers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike and Mark: The Power(less) Rangers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mike and Mark: The Power(less) Rangers

Postby Wade Boggs' Mustache » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:01 pm

Ok guys, new topic to hopefully spark some good conversation and speculation. So Mark Teixeira is on pace for 15 homeruns when he hit 43 dingers last year and Michael Young is on pace for 10 homeruns after he hit a career high 24 last season. Both are still hitting for average, but the power is just not there.

Apparently,Teixeira can't even explain it, "I still would like to know why I'm not hitting home runs," he said. "I feel like I'm seeing the ball well. I feel strong. I feel like I'm hitting the ball hard." This was quoted from CBS. (I think he might know why, but can't really tell anyone why since what he was doing was illegal).

It's not that either of these hitters is slumping, which is apparent with their good averages, they simply haven't had the power this year. If they were both hitting .230 or something with this lack of power, it would be much easier to believe that they were just in a slump and were bound to bounce back, but this isn't the case. I'm not one to point fingers for steroids or any performance enhancing drugs, until proven guilty, but this might just be "proof." Granted, it's still fairly early in the season, but for both of those guys to reach their 2005 season total in HR's, they would need to nuts with the bats. Teixeira, for example, would need to hit a homerun in every 10 at bats from here on out to reach 43 assuming he gets the same number of at bats as 2005. In 2005, he hit a homerun every 15 at bats.

Anyways, I feel there's a good chance both of these hitters were taking some kind of performance enhancing drug. What sparked this analysis for me was that I was thinking about buying low on Teixeira, but once I remembered that Young's power was missing, too, I was a bit skeptical. When two guys on the same team lose a significant amount of power, I just don't think that's a coincidence anymore.

What do you guys think?
Wade Boggs' Mustache
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:04 pm

Here is a recent quote from Tex about it:

Mark Teixeira said Tuesday that he and hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo are working on fixing a flaw in his swing that they detected.

"The balls that should be homers are going for doubles," Teixeira said. "If I get backspin on six of those, I'm sitting here with 12 homers. I'm trying to work through it, but I don't want to completely confuse myself and stop hitting altogether."

Anyways I doubt it's anything illegal, it was illegal last year and he had his best year. Not to mention they don't test for HGH, so he still could take it if he ever did it in the past.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Roadie » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:08 pm

Someone say roids????
Roadie
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Apollo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:12 pm

Yeah, this whole "he's off the roids!" business is getting silly. I think it's pretty apparent that if anyone was on roids and wanted to keep juicing, they would've just moved straight on to HGH. There's no reason Teixeira would've exploded last year and not this year because of roids--the testing hasn't changed.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby tomdoyle3 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:15 pm

This isn't the first year that they've been testing. If he was doing something illegal last year, he would have been caught. Not to mention the man is 6'3, 225 and he hits in one of the best hitting parks in the majors. Did he really need steroids last year?
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:58 pm

Young will end up with at least 15, and Teix will end up with at least 25. ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Amazing Oopah » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:04 pm

I liked that thread where someone theorized Tex's lack of power was a result of having a new baby :-D :-]
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:29 pm

Add Blalock to this list. 9 HR on pace for 22.

If it wasn't for Mench I would say that there is something in the water in Texas
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:30 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Add Blalock to this list. 9 HR on pace for 22.

If it wasn't for Mench I would say that there is something in the water in Texas

Besides his stretch of 8 games or whatever, he has been absolutely horrible too. Texas's offense is just not clicking yet....which makes it pretty scary that they are still in first place. :-°
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby The_Met_Threat » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:35 pm

Well Young is on pace for aobut 60 doubles, which is unheard of, while Tiex is on pace for 50. I don't think theyll end up with those numbers, and some of those would be doubles are gonna go for HR's soon enough.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers