Andy Pettitte - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Andy Pettitte

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:03 pm

If I wasn't in first t and didn't have other SPs dealing right now, I can afford to bench and wait.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:13 pm

CadensDad wrote:I think AL Hitting seems better and the NL Pitchign seems better because of the DH spot. In NL Pitchers hit and that is looked at as a easy out or something. Plus most AL lineups have usually only 1 or 2 "easy outs" most NL teams have 3 sometimes 4.

The DH is a big help imagine if the EMts had a DH? Ortiz in the lineup with Delgado, Wright, Beltran and Reyes? Or Hafner in the line up with Pujols, Rolen or Edmonds?

I think DH plays a huge roll in numbers over all. When you ahve 9 hitters on a team or you face 8 hitters. It's only 1 but in most cases it's a HUGE difference.

In the NL the pitcher batting is 3 or 4 soft outs every game. It also affects the number 8 hitter as you can pitch him junk in situations to get to the designated out. If all it does is kill one rally that would otherwise not have been killed in the AL with a DH, it will have a signifcant effect on ERA. Historically in the recent past that has amount to about a 0.5 difference in the ERA.

It is why Clemns goes to the NL and his ERA drops under 3. Why Pettitte stepped it up, etc. The 2 name SPs this has not applied to have been Hudson and Mulder. Mulder collapsed his last year with Oakland. What Hudson's problem is I really have no idea.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby quitesanemax » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:21 pm

The Big Train wrote:You know that Pettitte must have some serious problems when he gives up a slam to a lightweight like Podsednik. I've noticed quite a bit lately that he's had difficulty getting the opposing pitcher out as well (can't remember who, but he gave up 3 or 4 hits in one game to the other pitcher). Given that he started his throwing program later than usual this year, I was prepared to give him until the beginning of this month to really get going. But this is ridiculous. I'd hate to cut him loose, but he's practically worthless right now.

He was pitching against the White Sox, who have a pretty good hitting team this year... plus, he has always had trouble against the White Sox. This is why I benched him today... glad I did.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:23 pm

It varies depending on their personality, but some pitchers probably pitch better when they have to hit in the same way some hitters do better playing than DHing.

I think it has to do with keeping your head in the game and not obsessing over that last bad pitch or bad at-bat you had. If you're a pitcher in the NL, you need to watch the other pitcher and try and figure out how he's going to throw you. Sometimess that's better than obsessing over your pitching.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beezer » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:44 pm

Pettitte should come around in the second half if you can wait that long. He sure didn't look good last night but had 3 good outings prior. I am probably going to bench him vs. Texas next week though. I'm sure he will proceed to go 8 inn. with no runs or something!!!!!
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers