MacDougal blows another one. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MacDougal blows another one.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MacDougal blows another one.

Postby Surfs up » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:48 am

How long does Pena stick with MacDougal?He is in a very tight race and this guy seems to blow one at least one a week? Does Al Levine get a chance to close out some games?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pkarr5000 » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:12 am

mac is going to deservedly continue to close for the royals for years and years to come.
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:18 am

Pena seems to be a pretty patient guy. I don't see him messing with the bullpen for the stretch run.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:17 pm

I'd say that Leskanic would get the job IF they remove MacDougal.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jdh » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:57 pm

I don't think MacDougal really "deserves" the job at this point, with how poorly he has pitched this season. His 4.24 ERA is acceptable for a rookie pitcher, but if you look deeper at his numbers, the 1.54 WHIP is just inexcusable, and it's likely that he's been lucky to sucessfully convert as many saves as he has, allowing that many baserunners. For as hard as he throws, his strikeout rate is also pretty poor, less than a K/inning is walking 5 per 9 innings, which is just dreadful for a closer. His control is so off that he also seems to bean at least one batter every inning and throw a wild pitch or two every appearance. (for the year, 6 HBP, and 7 WP, which is also not what you want from a closer). I think it's highly likely for his ERA to baloon into the 5.00 plus range before the end of the year.

Yes he has potential and could be a lights out closer, but only when he learns some control. Right now using him as a closer is like sending out a timebomb every close game. I would not be surprised if Leskanic takes the job over before too long.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:23 pm

jdh wrote:Yes he has potential and could be a lights out closer, but only when he learns some control. Right now using him as a closer is like sending out a timebomb every close game. I would not be surprised if Leskanic takes the job over before too long.

I agree jdh...his WHIP is way to high for a competent closer....I think Leskanic will be in the job soon if mac doesn't turn it around...
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Mechanic Leskanic

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:53 am

:-B I just love Leskanic. The Royals are now in 2nd in the central and you have to believe that Pena is feeling the pressure. One more implosion and that job is Leskanic's.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers