Pick up when Pudge on DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pick up when Pudge on DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pick up when Pudge on DL

Postby Ivan » Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:35 pm

5x5 1st timer. No reserves. Weekly lineups. Weak in SB/Avg/Runs.

IF-Delgado, E.Young, Tejada, Ventura
OF-Larry, Berkman, Drew, A.Jones., F.Cat
U-Burks, ???????
C-Hall, Lieberthal (pick up Marrero or Pierzynski instead? Which 2 are worthy of the 2 spots?)

Who should I grab for utility?
Spivey, McLemore(good team), Erstad, Marrero, Mora.

Like Spivey, but also Mclemore because plenty of opportunity in lineup. Maybe drop F.Cat or Burks(too old?)also.
Really like Erstad though(too bad injured)

Any other suggestions for this rookie would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)
Ivan

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:24 pm

This is pretty tricky. If you're willing to take a gamble, pick up Marrero for Hall. At the moment I'd value them about equally, but Marrero could fluctuate more. Check out what others have said about him here - opinions about him vary by quite a bit, too. Either way, with Lieberthal providing solid insurance, you'll be fine.

Who to grab for your utility slot isn't an easy decision, either. You can't really drop Burks when he's this hot, but Catalanotto might be an option. All the names you mention have value, and they're close enough that there'll probably be several different opinions here, but if I have to choose one on the spot, I'll go with McLemore, who can give you a push in the categories you need. The team doesn't hurt, either. It depends on your position eligibility rules, too. The more positions you can back up (especailly 3b or 2b), the better. If McLemore will fit as of/ss/3b, that would really help your roster.

Other tips? Not really - your team looks very solid. If your pitching looks the same and you can make a good move or two during the season, you're set for a good year.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ivan » Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:43 pm

Thanks for your advice Obiwan. heeheehee.
Ivan

Postby Arlo » Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:50 pm

"Obi-Wan... Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time..."

:-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Pierzynski?

Postby Ivan » Fri Apr 26, 2002 10:45 pm

What do think of A.J.? Is his avg a fluke? Feel like grabbing him for Hall.

He has a better team/lineup (more scoring), doesn't have to face tough pitchers/teams (NYY, BOS), is in somewhat of a hitter's park. Despite batting lower than Hall, numbers are better.

I know he's a star in the making but how long can I tolerate his avg (.230's)? With Grieve, Cox, Winn doing fairly well, you think he'd be revved up. If Hall doesn't hit the long ball, I don't see his R/RBI any better than Pierzynski. However, saw Hall batting cleanup. hmmmm?

Is Lieberthal fully recovered (knee)? Is Rivera last yr's Hall? He seems to have potential (if he could bat higher up) but like Hall, is in a bad lineup/team. I'm leaning twds Mike and A.J. Will I regret abandoning Hall?

Is Kearns here to stay? Dunn's little bro or twin is looking good. heeheehee.

Thanks.
Ivan

Postby Arlo » Sat Apr 27, 2002 5:34 am

Your reasoning on Hall vs. Pierzynski is sound; Hall still has potential, but if you don't like his chances of putting it together, by all means make the switch. You have Lieberthal (Yes, he's recovered), so even if this move doesn't pay off, you'll still be solid at catcher. At any rate, I like all those guys more than Rivera (uncertain playing time, for one thing).

And yeah, Kearns looks nice - he'd be a nice pickup in keeper leagues (check out our earlier sleeper profile for some pre-season enthusiasm).
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers