To all Nolan Ryan dissers... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

To all Nolan Ryan dissers...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re:

Postby chicagowhitesox1173 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:22 am

mbuser wrote:i hate to keep harping on it, but despite the huge amount of walks, his WHIP wasn't that bad (especially considering how bad it could be). would you rather have a pitcher walk a batter or give up a base hit?

I would almost rather have a pitcher give up a basehit than walking alot of batters. A walk is more demoralizing to a team than a hit because a ball in play is at least playable. A walk also will lead to higher pitch counts causing teams to go to bullpen earlier. A guy like Nolan Ryan in my opinion is around 23 to 25th best pitcher of alltime and he really didn't learn to pitch until probably 1987. Before 1987 his strikeouts and walks were both very high and that caused his defense to be sluggish and bored and i'm sure being bored on the field led to low energy at the plate.

I don't even feel Nolan Ryan was the best pitcher on his own team in most years. I think Frank Tannana was better while on Angels, Joe Neikro and Mike Scott were better on the Astros and he was the best pitcher the Rangers had but he really only had a few good years with em. Bobby Witt was probably better in some years in Texas.

I hate to say this but I hear alot about the homerun record being tainted but in my opinion Ryan was using from as early as 1987. I have no proof but usually a pitcher declines after 40 except for Clemens and other roid users. Maybe Ryan was the exception but he did play for some steriod heavy teams in his last years. His horse trainer at his ranch was convicted of selling illegal steroids to University of Texas football players and he does show signs of steroid abuse like his recent heart problems. I can honestly say I would bet money he used.
chicagowhitesox1173
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: To all Nolan Ryan dissers...

Postby ayebatter » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:37 am

Hey welcome to the Cafe ;-D ...........................just pay attention to the date on the posts that you're quoting and everything will be just fine. ;-)

Postby mbuser » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:57 pm
i hate to keep harping on it, but despite the huge amount of walks, his WHIP wasn't that bad (especially considering how bad it could be). would you rather have a pitcher walk a batter or give up a base hit
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby chicagowhitesox1173 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:43 pm

ayebatter wrote:Hey welcome to the Cafe ;-D ...........................just pay attention to the date on the posts that you're quoting and everything will be just fine. ;-)

Postby mbuser » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:57 pm
i hate to keep harping on it, but despite the huge amount of walks, his WHIP wasn't that bad (especially considering how bad it could be). would you rather have a pitcher walk a batter or give up a base hit

I saw the dates but it looks like everything in the history section is over 2 or 3 years old. Curious are we not suppose to respond if it's an old post?
chicagowhitesox1173
T-Ball Trainer

Postby ayebatter » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Respond at will ;-D

When a tree falls in the woods
does it make a sound
if no one is around. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby Tavish » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:36 am

I wouldn't be completely shocked if Ryan used, but it doesn't really make a difference to me one way or another. I think much of the improvement he saw was due to the much lighter workload. And really (other than perhaps 89), none of the "late-career" Ryan was in the same realm as how the other great pitchers performed.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Previous

Return to Baseball History