strategy: has anyone done this - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

strategy: has anyone done this

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:36 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:I do this quite often in roto leagues with a max ip. If there's not a SP that I'm comfortable using I'll pick up a guy from the following list:
Shields, Wainwright, Betancourt, Soriano, Linebrink, Rincon.

I've looked carefully at all 6 of those guys and their ratios (all at least close to a 3-1 k/bb ratio if not better with k/9 at least in the ballpark of 8 if not better with at least a decent hr/9) and am comfortable sending them out there in any league I need the quality ip.

That's a very nice list, LL. If you need to look quite a bit deeper, where most of the setup men will likely be taken, there's also Ramon Ramirez, John Hancock, and Chad Bradford (the K/9 isn't there, but he allowed 1 free pass in the past month and will keep give you ratio help). Most of these guys aren't going to get you more than 2-3 holds on the season, but the bulk of them will help lend a hand to your standard ratios, and give you nice K/BB and K/9 if you count them.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:45 pm

bigh0rt wrote:That's a very nice list, LL. If you need to look quite a bit deeper, where most of the setup men will likely be taken, there's also Ramon Ramirez, John Hancock, and Chad Bradford (the K/9 isn't there, but he allowed 1 free pass in the past month and will keep give you ratio help). Most of these guys aren't going to get you more than 2-3 holds on the season, but the bulk of them will help lend a hand to your standard ratios, and give you nice K/BB and K/9 if you count them.

Bradford's really nice because of the ground ball percentage too. For those that haven't seen him pitch he's possibly the most extreme submarine style pitcher ever. Seeing as how he's actually had his knuckles hit the ground on a couple of occassions on a pitch it would be impossible to throw more submarined than he does.

Because of that arm angle he gets a HUGE number of ground balls...about a 2-1 ratio ground ball to fly ball at this point. That seriously limits the extra base hits which allows him to avoid those nasty home runs that get relievers into trouble. His whip may not be as good as some of the more k heavy pitchers but his era will normally be very good due to the very good control and the lack of extra base hits.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Hobbes » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:51 pm

I've had Scot Shields on my team for the entire season and I never take him out of the lineup unless the Angels aren't playing. He helps my ratios and adds some strikeouts as well. Plus he's given me 3 wins and a save. I play in a H2H league and there have been a few weeks where his several innings in a week have saved my bacon and won me the ERA and WHIP categories. And we don't even count holds.

The other good thing about middle relievers is that they will pitch in games when the team is winning or losing. Closers usually only get in the game when their team is winning. Shields also often gives me 2-inning outings. Who doesn't like a couple of innings of 0.00 ERA and .50 WHIP with 3 strikeouts added to their stats?

I've had opportunities to release him for a good player, but I am reluctant to let him go. I still have Hamels on the DL because I don't want to drop Shields and have nobody else I can drop right now.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LouisC9999 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:56 pm

I used this strategy in the days when Lidge and K-Rod were middle relievers. They did wonders for my K, WHIP, ERA ;-D ;-D ;-D
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WittyC » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:11 pm

Hobbes wrote:I've had Scot Shields on my team for the entire season and I never take him out of the lineup unless the Angels aren't playing. He helps my ratios and adds some strikeouts as well. Plus he's given me 3 wins and a save. I play in a H2H league and there have been a few weeks where his several innings in a week have saved my bacon and won me the ERA and WHIP categories. And we don't even count holds.

The other good thing about middle relievers is that they will pitch in games when the team is winning or losing. Closers usually only get in the game when their team is winning. Shields also often gives me 2-inning outings. Who doesn't like a couple of innings of 0.00 ERA and .50 WHIP with 3 strikeouts added to their stats?

I've had opportunities to release him for a good player, but I am reluctant to let him go. I still have Hamels on the DL because I don't want to drop Shields and have nobody else I can drop right now.

Shields went for $10 in my league that replaced WHIP with holds. He's an absolute monster in that league, and everyone took notice after I got for $2 the year before.
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:23 pm

Shields is gold.... as is, he puts up great #s and gets vulture wins, and if K-Rod goes down, all the sudden you have one the top closers out there.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Hobbes » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:41 pm

johnsamo wrote:Shields is gold.... as is, he puts up great #s and gets vulture wins, and if K-Rod goes down, all the sudden you have one the top closers out there.

And with K-Rod's stressful motion, he's a candidate to blow that arm out one of these days.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rkiivs » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:53 pm

Hobbes wrote:
johnsamo wrote:Shields is gold.... as is, he puts up great #s and gets vulture wins, and if K-Rod goes down, all the sudden you have one the top closers out there.

And with K-Rod's stressful motion, he's a candidate to blow that arm out one of these days.

Yep, see Gagne.
Good morning America, how are you... Don't you know me, I'm your native son
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:58 pm

I have Zumaya in one of my RP slots since Im down a closer. Zumaya has been great for K's, 5 tonight in 2 innings :-)
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby testing » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:04 am

this has been a very useful thread...anyone got any others?
improving.
testing
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers