Gagne? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Gagne?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Terrordome666 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:54 am

I drafted Gagne in the 7th round. I sure wish I could have that pick back. At this point I have moved on, I have him stashed on my DL. If he comes back and pitches well this season, I will consider it gravy.
Terrordome666
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rainman23 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:13 am

Weasel_King wrote:
Mashug wrote:If Saito keeps pitching like this Gagne could end up as the setup man if/when he returns. It's unlikely that he'll ever get back to form

Yikes!!! I hope this doesn't occur...
:~( :~( :~(

I used a high pick on him, he's been injured for most of the season, and he might be a setup guy- this stinks
:-t

Holy cripes. If Mashug was part of the Dodger brain-trust I'm thinking he wouldn't have a Yankee avatar on his posts. Be very worried about Gagne's physical condition, but don't sweat this silly Saito hypothesis.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mashug » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:25 am

rainman23 wrote:
Weasel_King wrote:
Mashug wrote:If Saito keeps pitching like this Gagne could end up as the setup man if/when he returns. It's unlikely that he'll ever get back to form

Yikes!!! I hope this doesn't occur...
:~( :~( :~(

I used a high pick on him, he's been injured for most of the season, and he might be a setup guy- this stinks
:-t

Holy cripes. If Mashug was part of the Dodger brain-trust I'm thinking he wouldn't have a Yankee avatar on his posts. Be very worried about Gagne's physical condition, but don't sweat this silly Saito hypothesis.

Just being realistic. I didn't say it will happen but it could. Gagne could come back one way or another but but it's unlikely he'll ever be the dominant pitcher he once was. If he's out for a while and the new guy keeps mowing them down, while Gagne's fastball tops out at 92-93,what would you do as the GM of the Dodgers? Call that silly if you want. I call it basic logic.
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Red Sox Nation » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:43 am

JoJoTheWebToedBoy wrote:Another year, another wasted draft pick. That's 2 years in a row for me with Gagne and Sheets.

Note to self. Next year :-t

You know that Gagne almost didn't pitch next year cuz of the surgery so why did you draft him?... As for Sheets, I believe he was going to start the year off on the DL so why'd you draft him? I'm not into drafting pitchers unless they're studs/aces because they're more prone to injury and decline. I wouldn't get into closers cuz that's the easier role to lose. I'd only draft the ones that are excellent choices (that you know for certain will close), such as Gordon, Rivera, Izzy, Lidge, Hoffman, etc.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby benjapage » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:20 pm

Red Sox Nation wrote:I'd only draft the ones that are excellent choices (that you know for certain will close), such as Gordon, Rivera, Izzy, Lidge, Hoffman, etc.

yeah, because there are no potential health (mental or physical) concerns with any of them...pffff.... :-°

freakin' geniuses around here,

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Mashug » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:25 pm

Red Sox Nation wrote:
JoJoTheWebToedBoy wrote:Another year, another wasted draft pick. That's 2 years in a row for me with Gagne and Sheets.

Note to self. Next year :-t

You know that Gagne almost didn't pitch next year cuz of the surgery so why did you draft him?... As for Sheets, I believe he was going to start the year off on the DL so why'd you draft him? I'm not into drafting pitchers unless they're studs/aces because they're more prone to injury and decline. I wouldn't get into closers cuz that's the easier role to lose. I'd only draft the ones that are excellent choices (that you know for certain will close), such as Gordon, Rivera, Izzy, Lidge, Hoffman, etc.

Couldn't agree more. You only draft the sure thing at RP. There are always guys like Saito, Jenks and Coffey to pick up if you pay attention (it helps if your league is as clueless as mine) Otherwise you're taking a big risk of wasting a pick that could have been used for the 2nd tier hitters of the league
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Marvelous Merv » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:17 pm

Speaking as someone who wasted a second round pick on Gagne LAST YEAR, I swore I would stay away from him this year. Needless to say, no regrets. But I can't help but wonder where peopel will be taking him NEXT YEAR if he/when he comes back yet AGAIN.
Marvelous Merv
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Shooter9er » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:01 pm

Anyone have any updates?
Shooter9er
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby benjapage » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:55 pm

sportsline reports:
RHP Eric Gagne has switched to Neurotin, a medication that is supposed to calm the ulnar nerve that has kept him off the mound.
(Updated 06/20/2006).

Dodgers trainer Stan Johnston is hoping Gagne will be able to pitch before the All-Star break. Consider him out until at least July at this point. He might need another short rehab stint once he's able to throw again.

from what i can tell, the actual name of the drug is neurontin. here's a really good (clear) description.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby rainman23 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:54 pm

Marvelous Merv wrote:Speaking as someone who wasted a second round pick on Gagne LAST YEAR, I swore I would stay away from him this year. Needless to say, no regrets. But I can't help but wonder where peopel will be taking him NEXT YEAR if he/when he comes back yet AGAIN.

Well, the good news is that hopefully most people who have him on their roster took a late flyer on him. Or, like me, picked him up off the FA wire. No great gamble, just taking up a roster space for a while. If he comes close to being Eric Gagne again, it's a steal. One manager's disaster can be another one's triumph.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates