:-D ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Slow Pitch » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:50 pm

Talk to a buddy of mine who was at the Rox/Cards game tonight & he happily reported to me that Albert did indeed take some BP tonight & looked good.

No idea how he felt afterwards & I sure there will be a story somewhere shortly about it....

Just wanted to pass along a quick heads up update!

;-D
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby johnsamo » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:30 pm

Man, it's been so much fun since he's been out. I was in first with him, and everybody trash talked me about how I was toast now.... It's an 8 yers-running league so we all know each other, but after a minor slip to 3rd, I'm back in first by 6 points without him. I've been platooning hot 1bs and the pitching finally started dealing. If I'm still in first when he gets back, I'm going to ask them if they just want to cede the season championship now and close up shop till the draft next year.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby s221506 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:37 pm

Cards notebook: Pujols encouraged by his swings
By Derrick Goold
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
06/18/2006

Advancing his rehabilitation from fielding to swinging, Albert Pujols took cuts in the Cardinals' batting cage Saturday and felt comfortable enough to progress to live pitching Sunday. Pujols, rehabbing his strained oblique, took 30 swings off a tee Saturday. The Cardinals remain conservative with the rehab schedule for the reigning MVP, but optimism has followed each step of his recovery.

Expecting to wake up without any soreness from his 30 swings, Pujols hoped to leapfrog soft toss and take some batting practice Sunday.

"If I feel as good as I did (Saturday)," Pujols said, leaving the clubhouse Saturday night, "I'd like to hit on the field."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument
s221506
College Coach
College Coach

Postby masarume » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:45 pm

When exactly is the all star break?

It would be good for him to get in 3-5 games before that and then see how he feels. Hopefully, he won't partake in the break festivities.
masarume

Hockey Mod
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby j24jags » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:54 pm

Rotoworld wrote:Albert Pujols, recovering from a muscle strain in his side, took grounders at first base and hit some soft-toss pitches on Sunday.
Pujols will travel with the club this week. Closer Jason Isringhausen said the club looks for him to return in Detroit next weekend, but team officials were not as sure. He'll take some more batting practice on Tuesday. Jun. 19 - 10:58 am et

It sounds like he will be back way before the ASB.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby the ROC » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:15 pm

Izzy says Pujols' return is imminent
Trainer, skipper more cautious in appraising slugger's progress
By Conor Nicholl / MLB.com

ST. LOUIS -- Jason Isringhausen said Albert Pujols, sidelined with a right oblique strain, could return to the Cardinals in the Detroit series starting June 23.

"We should get Albert back in Detroit," the Cardinals' closer said after Sunday's game. "That should help take the load off Scott [Rolen] and Juan [Encarnacion]."

Cardinals head trainer Barry Weinberg offered a sarcastic response when told of Isringhausen's comment.

"If Izzy says it, then it must be gospel," he said.

Weinberg said Pujols, the Major League leader in homers (25) and RBIs (65), is feeling better.

"He is progressing," Weinberg said. "He is satisfied today and took some ground balls and played catch, did some running and hit in the cage. What we will do is repeat it tomorrow during the off-day. He will start hitting off the coaches on Tuesday."

The slugger took some soft toss before Sunday's game, but has yet to face live pitching.

Weinberg said the ground balls on Sunday were not an aggressive movement for Pujols. The first baseman also took grounders on the field before Friday's contest.

"It was just normal," Weinberg said. "He took ground balls. He is tolerating everything well."

Weinberg said there is no date set for Pujols' return. The first baseman could be activated as soon as Tuesday.

"There is no timetable yet," the trainer said. "Each time he is satisfied with something, we get closer and closer. We will see how he does with hitting off coaches on Tuesday."

Pujols was unavailable for comment. He stated on Friday that he would play when he was 100 percent. The slugger also said he would only play first and not DH. The Cardinals' next two series are in American League parks.

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said on Saturday he thinks Pujols can be ready by the All-Star break, a statement he reiterated on Sunday.

The team is playing very well without its slugger. After Sunday's win, the team is 8-5 without Pujols and is batting .297, tops in the National League and second-best in the Majors.

Conor Nicholl is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I made a bet in 2003 that the Devil Rays would win the 2008 World Series. Oh so close.
the ROC
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Location: Defending my Baseball, Football, and Hockey Fantasy Championships

Postby Amazing Oopah » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:21 pm

Hope Izzy was a little too eager with his assessment. Last thing I want is for Pujols to come back on Friday, getting re-injured and being lost for several more weeks. :-[
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates