Any new Pujols info? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Any new Pujols info?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any new Pujols info?

Postby FrogStamp » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:39 pm

I haven't heard or read anything about him in the last few days.

Am I paranoid or is this a very bad sign?
FrogStamp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Any new Pujols info?

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:23 pm

FrogStamp wrote:I haven't heard or read anything about him in the last few days.

He is supposed to be out at least till the All Star break. So I wouldn't worry too much if you don't hear an update on him every minue. I mean he's not T.O
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Young 8 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:06 pm

acsguitar wrote:
FrogStamp wrote:I haven't heard or read anything about him in the last few days.

He is supposed to be out at least till the All Star break. So I wouldn't worry too much if you don't hear an update on him every minue. I mean he's not T.O

:-D
Young 8
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby FrogStamp » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:15 pm

acsguitar wrote:So I wouldn't worry too much if you don't hear an update on him every minue.

It's been two minutes. Anymore news?
FrogStamp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby masarume » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:32 pm

I wouldn't expect him back until after the all star game.

But I would rather him take his time and be 100% healthy for the playoff run than as opposed to come back a week early and then being out another month or something.
masarume

Hockey Mod
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:09 pm

It's one of those injuries where there isn't much news unless it's bad. It's sort of liked cracked ribs. All you can do is not exert yourself and wait. The one bit of good news is, because you're not in a cast or anything, no part of the body suffers from dramatic muscle atrophy, so the body doesn't lose a lot of strength. The biggest dangers are coming back to soon and getting over the pyschological fear that you'll reinjure it if you go 100%.

THe good news is, it's his right obliques, and a righty hitter depends more on his left obliques for his power in a swing.

SInce Pujols is one of my keepers, I naturally read all I can about him, and if anything, the thing that has always worried me about him is his intense training schedule. I sort of wish he'd lay off the weights and work more on flexibility. Whether overtraining had something to do with this injury I don't know. WHat I'm pretty sure though is, he had already strained his oblique to a degree and was trying to play through the minor injury before the play that took him out. Besides the fact that the movements he made on that play shouldn't have casued a serious injury, his at bats in the two games before the injury just didn't look 100% to me.

Maybe this will be a lesson for him than when he feels a twinge, sometimes, it's better to sit a few games rather than play through the pain.

As character flaws in athletes go, working too hard and playing through pain, you can have a lot worse problems than that.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:17 pm

johnsamo wrote:It's one of those injuries where there isn't much news unless it's bad. It's sort of liked cracked ribs. All you can do is not exert yourself and wait. The one bit of good news is, because you're not in a cast or anything, no part of the body suffers from dramatic muscle atrophy, so the body doesn't lose a lot of strength. The biggest dangers are coming back to soon and getting over the pyschological fear that you'll reinjure it if you go 100%.

THe good news is, it's his right obliques, and a righty hitter depends more on his left obliques for his power in a swing.

SInce Pujols is one of my keepers, I naturally read all I can about him, and if anything, the thing that has always worried me about him is his intense training schedule. I sort of wish he'd lay off the weights and work more on flexibility. Whether overtraining had something to do with this injury I don't know. WHat I'm pretty sure though is, he had already strained his oblique to a degree and was trying to play through the minor injury before the play that took him out. Besides the fact that the movements he made on that play shouldn't have casued a serious injury, his at bats in the two games before the injury just didn't look 100% to me.

Maybe this will be a lesson for him than when he feels a twinge, sometimes, it's better to sit a few games rather than play through the pain.

As character flaws in athletes go, working too hard and playing through pain, you can have a lot worse problems than that.

Completely agree with everything here. I think Pujols' comments in the days after the injury (that he's going to come back when he's 100% no matter how long that means he'll be out) show that he may have realized the cost of pushing his body past what it can do. He's a young guy still unless you believe the conspiracy theorists and may have finally coming to the realization that even he is mortal (although he may be the closest to not being mortal we have in MLB right now ;-D ).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Slow Pitch » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:22 pm

acsguitar wrote:

Where did this come out that he is definately out till after the break? That would put him out over 7 weeks closer to 8. Everything I heard was 6 week max......
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:31 pm

If anything, for his long term health, I sort of wish Pujols wouldn't swing so hard. I suspect this injury is due to the fact that he is so strong that he's putting too much stress on his body in a swing. Normally, I'd never say that about a player, but a guy like Pujols could dip in strength by 5% and still have an awesomely powerful swing. It might not mean any 85 homer seasons, but I'd rather have ten years of 65 homer seasons rather than see this injury keep coming up because he's putting too much torque into his swings.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Burt » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:08 pm

johnsamo wrote:THe good news is, it's his right obliques, and a righty hitter depends more on his left obliques for his power in a swing.

I agree with everything you said except this. A right handed hitter uses his right oblique to push the bat through the zone, not his left to pull the bat through.
Burt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates