Tigers should trade for Huff - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Tigers should trade for Huff

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tigers should trade for Huff

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:37 am

anyone think that would be a good idea?

he's a left handed bat and can fill in a 1B, 3B and OF for us. i know he's slumping badly, but he always seems to go on a tear after the break. not too sure about his D, dont think it's anything special, but we need someone to spell Shelton besided Pudge or Guillen

i'm sure he wouldnt cost us much, the D rays need pitching BAD and i'm sure we have some decent minor leaguers we could deal or bring up if we dealt someone up now. he's a FA so the Rays will likely deal him. maybe Ramon Colon and a minor leaguer?

not saying he's my top candidate to get, but anyone think it's a realistic (or good) option?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dannomyte » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:55 am

I really like the idea of adding Huff. He plays multiple positions and is a proven LH bat. Sure he is struggling a bit but like you said he usually picks it up in the 2nd half and he has showns signs of life in his bat recently. He doesn't strike out nearly as much as the other rumored lefties on the market and is a good contact hitter. Other than the big names(Abreu, Dunn) that would cost the Tigers way to much to acquire I would probably have Huff at or near the top of my wish list.

The big problem is that TB has always over-valued their players and asked for way to much in return.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:04 pm

If he can be obtained on the cheap like you suggest, then he is a fine candidate to acquire via trade, so long as our expectations for him are not too high. His defense is pretty bad except at 1B where he is decent and he is on pace for his third consecutive season of declining numbers since peaking in 2003. He is also a free agent after this year (I think), which isn't exactly a bad thing since it should do nothing but make him more available via trade. Offensively, he's a better bet than Inge or Monroe to be a producer. Something along the lines of Colon and some mediocre minor leaguer would be fine, but if names like Humberto Sanchez or Wil Ledezma come up, I'd rather get someone who also has a little more speed and/or plays better defense in addition to what Huff brings.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:44 pm

I don't have any issue with them trying to pick up Huff. I doubt he will ever be a threat to hit 30 bombs again, but he is a left handed bat that can spell Shelton, Inge and Monroe.

If I were going to try and trade with the DRays I would go for Lugo. He is a solid SS/2B who has a good stick and knows how to steal bases. Guillen is scaring me with his knees and his poor ABs of late. Plus he could be moved to third and make the infield look a lot more threatening. I think I read somewhere proir to the season where the DRays weren't all that interested in keeping Lugo because they have a stud in the minots who has to come up soon, all bat/no field Upton.

Another team to look at might be the Mets. Would they be willing to part with Cliff Floyd for some pitching? They have to be wondering about how well the starters will hold up and have a serious pennant drive ahead. Too. :-D

It sure is fun to think of what the Tigers can do to get better now than to try and bolster their minor league system.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:51 am

I've actually been thinking about this for a while. Here are some of the more sensible names I've come up with.

Jeff DaVanon:Switch hitter, draws a lot of walks, good enough defensively to play CF, and has decent speed. Offers very little in the way of power hitting. Arizona has Chris Young and Carlos Quentin waiting in the wings, so you would have to think they can afford to move an outfielder and DaVanon is only platooning with Byrnes right now.

Eric Hinske: Decent left handed bat, knows how to take a walk, can player 3B, 1B or a somewhat crappy outfield. Somewhat useless vs LHP. Toronto doesn't really seem to have much use for him, so he's stuck in a utility role. Maybe they'd move him?

Carl Crawford: He's about the perfect fit, but he's too expensive. I saw the Anaheim-TB rumors and thought I'd mention him. I would assume it starts at Zumaya or Verlander and that's not happening.

Jose Cruz Jr.: Seems like the LAD are getting a little crowded in the OF with Kemp making a splash. Cruz is a switch hitter, draws a lot of walks, has decent power, and is solid defensively. But he K's a ton and seems to be a much better hitter from the right side of the plate. I don't really think he would work.

Geoff Jenkins: RHP-masher with power. K's a lot, is fragile and isn't good at all vs LHP.

Raul Ibanez: good left handed bat, plays LF and 1B, draws walks. Not a ton of power, isn't all that great vs LHP, and may not be available at the moment.

Sean Casey: very good left handed bat, great plate discipline. Limited to first base and doesn't have much power and I worry about his durability. Pittsburgh isn't a contender. He almost HAS to be available.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Detroit Tigers