Rickie Weeks and Rodney Dangerfield... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rickie Weeks and Rodney Dangerfield...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rickie Weeks and Rodney Dangerfield...

Postby WittyC » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:41 pm

What do they have in common? They can't get no respect. :-b

This came up in a different thread, and I thought it was worth discussing on its own merits. Weeks isn't destroying the ball by any means, and fielding hasn't been his strong suit, but consider this: he's the No. 4-ranked 2B according to Yahoo! right now. There are some other good prospects nipping at his heels with Jose Lopez, Dan Uggla, Jose Castillo and Brandon Phillips all playing well, but Weeks still hasn't tapped into his supposed power potential yet.

With Soriano and Felipe Lopez likely losing their eligibility next year, how do you feel about Weeks now and long term? Is he legitimately the No. 2 pick at 2B in '07 with Figgins, Kent and Loretta playing so poorly this year? :-?
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rickie Weeks and Rodney Dangerfield...

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:52 pm

WittyC wrote:What do they have in common? They can't get no respect. :-b

This came up in a different thread, and I thought it was worth discussing on its own merits. Weeks isn't destroying the ball by any means, and fielding hasn't been his strong suit, but consider this: he's the No. 4-ranked 2B according to Yahoo! right now. There are some other good prospects nipping at his heels with Jose Lopez, Dan Uggla, Jose Castillo and Brandon Phillips all playing well, but Weeks still hasn't tapped into his supposed power potential yet.

With Soriano and Felipe Lopez likely losing their eligibility next year, how do you feel about Weeks now and long term? Is he legitimately the No. 2 pick at 2B in '07 with Figgins, Kent and Loretta playing so poorly this year? :-?

I think it depends....If he gets his power stroke going he is as valuable as anyone. As of right now, he hasnt proven to me that he can put up better numbers than Figgins and Kent, but if he flashes some power during the rest of this season, you have got to put him up there due to his 30/30 potential. He's still so young and he has alot to learn. He'll be a fantasy stud some day, but right now he is just a solid option.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:42 pm

Guys like Rollins and Furcal were going in the third or fouth round in drafts this year. They hit for decent average, stole 40+ bases, had 10-15 HR power, had just over 50 RBI and could be expected to score over 100 R. At this point, the SS pool may be slightly shallower than 2B, but Weeks is on pace to have a pretty similar season to those guys, not to mention that he also has the potential to increase his power numbers considerably.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hookem2003 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:02 pm

Keep in mind that all of his home runs have come in the past month, so you probably shouldn't expect the first third of the season to reflect the entire season. The guy is going 20/30 this year.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:41 pm

Weeks' big power stroke hasn't showed as much yet, and a big part of that I think is he's had somewhat of a leadoff hitter mentality since he's been hitting there most the year. He has had great results for a leadoff hitter too -- he had a .382 OBP prior to his 3 for 5 tonight, is now hitting .303, and has stolen 14 bases in 17 tries. But, while he's not giving you the big home runs, he's still been very valuable fantasy-wise. He's tied for 3rd in all of baseball in runs (52), he's top 15 in SB (14), is hitting .303, and his 6 HR aren't all that bad for a 2B. The main thing he's lacking is RBI due to his leadoff position. Of course, add other categories and things change -- errors drop him in the rankings, whereas OBP would drive him way up.

I think in time you'll see that power stroke. I think this year he'll be a 15-20 HR guy, but he won't be hitting leadoff forever. I think he's destined for a middle of the order spot.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jeter2411 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:20 am

I live in Milwaukee and love his offensive potential but the guys already has over 20 errors! The next highest 2B I think is at 7! He is gonna have to improve his defense before he gets respect. I know we are talking fantasy here and defense doesn't matter, however if he continues to be this muh of a liability at 2B they may have to look at moving him to the OF anf then he joins the middle class of OFs.
jeter2411
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nails » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:50 pm

I think that if they did move him to the OF, he would still have the potential to be more than a middle of the road OF. If he really can put up these 30/30 numbers and bat around .300, that is a fantasy stud at any position.
Nails
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stevethumb » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:22 pm

a case of a player being more valuable in fantasy than in real life...a total of 42 errors in about 162 total ML games
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby hookem2003 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:22 pm

however if he continues to be this muh of a liability at 2B they may have to look at moving him to the OF anf then he joins the middle class of OFs.

Actually, he'd be grady sizemore.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers