will Jered Weaver get 2 starts w/ Colon back? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

will Jered Weaver get 2 starts w/ Colon back?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

will Jered Weaver get 2 starts w/ Colon back?

Postby jswede » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:50 pm

I see he is scheduled for 2 on CBS, but word is Colon is back this weekend. Any help? Thx in advance.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tol1l1yboy » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:59 am

I am sure hoping he does since I have starting over Vazquez this week due to the Sox playing in Texas and Weaver getting two starts and looking like the real deal.

I cant imagine that they would send him down over moving Escobar or Jeff Weaver into the bullpen. But if Jered gets shelled tonight you never know.
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:16 pm

Colon got shelled in AAA

Yet I still heard on XM MLB radio that Jered was getting sent down when Colon gets back.

Makes alot of sense you know. not :-t
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:46 pm

I think the Angels fans would revolt if Jered got sent down. He's been lights out from day one. If the Angels were way in first place, that would be one thing, but when you're struggling like they are, to voluntary kick your best performing starter down to the minors is a bonehead move. The Angels have a few bums in the bullpen that can get moved down to keep the entire rotation on the roster....

Having the brother situation makes it really tricky. You don't want to mess with Jered's head by dumping Jeff... And besides, Jeff is one of those pitchers that flirts with good stuff. He has good stuff but when a break doesn't go his way, he can sometimes lose focus and get wild. This is the sort of player who can turn it around and become a good consistant pitcher if he matures some. I think that if he has his little brother on the team outshiming him, that whole competetive brothers dynamic might be the catalyst to mature him and match the maturity that Jered is showing.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Big Train » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:59 pm

Send down Jered Weaver? Send in the clowns

BY STEVE BISHEFF
The Orange County Register

ANAHEIM, Calif. - It seems so ridiculous, so strangely unprecedented, that at first you don't think you're hearing it right.

Come on, the Angels aren't really about to send Jered Weaver, the best young pitcher they have had in years, back down to the minor leagues, are they?

It appears they are, if not later this week, then early the following one.

Even if Weaver pitches a shutout Tuesday night against Kansas City, even if he improves his eye-popping 3-0 record, his 1.86 ERA and the skimpy .162 batting average against him, he's a good bet to go.

"Hey, they obviously have got a Cy Young winner coming back, and I'm the odd man out," a surprisingly unfazed Weaver said.

But wait a minute. Isn't this a team dangling by its fingernails at the bottom of the AL West? Isn't this a club struggling to squeeze out any victories it can? And hasn't Weaver easily been its most effective starter in the past few weeks?

The goal should be to keep the pitcher who makes you the best baseball team, shouldn't it?

Apparently not. Not when you've got a couple of other starting pitchers with shaky stats but huge contracts. Not when you've paid one guy $8 million for this season and extended another for three more years at a gaudy $28.5 million.

The Angels are seemingly committed to Jeff Weaver, Jered's older brother, and Kelvim Escobar, even though Jeff has a 3-9 record and 6.15 ERA and Escobar continues to find creative ways to lose games.

"I think it's unusual today, with pitching at such a premium, for an organization to face a decision like this one," Manager Mike Scioscia said. "It will work itself out."

Maybe, but how many starts can these guys gamble away when they're already a half-dozen or so games out of first place? How many times can they send these two guys out to lose when they've got a kid who could replace either one and have an excellent chance to win?

Nobody is arguing that room shouldn't be made for Bartolo Colon, the Cy Young Award winner who is returning from a shoulder injury after making a less-than-impressive start in what was supposed to be his final rehab assignment Monday night.

Colon carried this staff a year ago and, if healthy, has earned the right to ease back in as soon as he is ready.

But sending out "Little Weaver," as he's known in the Angels clubhouse, would be crazy.

Unless, of course, there is an ulterior motive. Unless the Angels don't want to devalue any of their established starters while they are quietly trying to trade one of them for the much-needed bat they should have acquired in the offseason.

No one in the organization will admit that's what is happening, but it's the only thing that seems to make any sense.

Maybe Scioscia gave a veiled hint at such a scenario when he said: "It's tough for us to delete guys until this thing totally settles."

The funny thing is, the recurring rumor is that the pitcher the club is shopping is Ervin Santana, the other young power starter who seemed to be settling into this rotation for, oh, the next 10 years.

Why you would give Escobar a $28.5 million extension and consider dealing a kid with Santana's ability is beyond me. But then it wouldn't be the first time GM Bill Stoneman's logic was off somewhere in its own weird world.

In the meantime, the Angels try to rationalize by claiming young Weaver is "not a finished product." Scioscia used that description while saying the 2004 first-round draft pick still had things to learn.

"He needs to improve his changeup off his fastball," pitching coach Bud Black said.

But really, they're getting picky here. The bottom line is how the kid performs on the field, and so far, after three starts, he has been close to flawless.

"I've gotten the opportunity and done well," Weaver said. "I know down the line I'll be here for the long haul. I feel good that I've made the decision tough on them."

It would be one thing if the Angels were in first place, leading by five games. But this controversial move would be made at a time when the club's psyche is shakier than the U.S. soccer team was in its World Cup debut Monday.

Darin Erstad's return to the lineup only further complicates an already deepening offensive puzzle. His Gold Glove-caliber defense will be welcomed back in center field, but Erstad wasn't hitting when he was injured and didn't hit much in his rehab assignments leading to his return.

And when he's in the lineup, it means some combination of Chone Figgins, Tim Salmon, Juan Rivera or Dallas McPherson isn't.

Continuity hardly has been an Angels trademark this season.

Judging by what is about to happen to Jered Weaver, neither has common sense.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:20 pm

It is true that Jered doesn't have a great change-up, but that's sort of like saying Pedro Martinez needs to go down and work on his knuckle ball. With what he has now, Jered is legitimace ace now, with a good change up, he'd be even better. The thing is, even though the Angels aren't doing great, the AL West is so close it's still up for grabs and Jered could make the difference. Going to the minors, he could work on his change up, but they could also delay changeup practice till this next off season and spring training.

I think the hope is, they want to package Ervin Santana and Dallas McPherson, and maybe a few prospects, for Miguel Cabrera (who they'll sign to a long term deal), but to do that, they really need Santana and McPherson to play well for a while so the Marlins can justify the trade to their fans, who are already upset about all the players the Marlins traded away.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby checkers » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:35 pm

Jun. 13 [b]Jered Weaver[b] (P) LAA will likely be demoted to Triple-A Salt Lake upon the return of Bartolo Colon, despite his 3-0 record and 1.86 ERA, according to the Angels website. "It's been a dream come true for me," said Weaver. "We have the Cy Young winner coming back and obviously I'm the odd man out, but I'm glad I had success when I was here."
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rentz » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:01 pm

so can we expect tonight to be his last start?
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Slow Pitch » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:27 pm

rentz wrote:so can we expect tonight to be his last start?

If he pitches well I dont think they can send him down. It is just so absurd to send him down for the Angels.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:34 pm

If the Angels send him down, the other AL West team fans will let out a cheer.

The thing I just don't get is, I understand all the reasons why you might want to send Jered down, but none of them trump the fact that the Angels aren't out of the AL West race and to send down a guy who's been dealing like Jered has is just season suicide.

If they do send him down, as soon as the other Angel starters start getting shelled, you're going to hear shouts of "JERED! JERED!" all the time.

Sciosia must be half-praying that KC shells Jered tomorrow.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates