Roethlisberger badly hurt in cycle crash - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Roethlisberger badly hurt in cycle crash

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:43 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:This is horrible. He's truly one of the good guys in the NFL, and, even though I'm not a Steelers fan, I always enjoy watching him play. I doubt he'll play this year, but I hope he eventually fully recovers and is able to get back on the field someday.

Now, before people start bashing him for not wearing a helmet or even riding a motorcycle at all, remember that most of these guys who play professional football work hard and play hard. You can't expect these guys to go get the s*** knocked out of them on the field, and then go relax and watch Lifetime movies. I know most people won't agree with me, but I have no problem players riding motorcycles or playing pickup hoops. Unless there was something written into his contract about this, then there is no way his contract should be voided.

work hard, play hard when you retire. these guys have millions of dollars. they can find something else to do with their time. ride the bike when you retire.

i've heard his contract permits him to ride the bike during the offseason although the steelers begged him to stop riding after winslow's accident.

I don't buy that at all. Here's an excerpt from an ESPN interview with Roethlisberger that pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

ESPN: What obligation does a professional athlete have in his free time to not engage in certain activities?
Roethlisberger: The obligation for us is on the days we practice and on Sundays, the days that we play. That is the obligation we have, to go out and be athletes toward what we do. In my free time, I can work out, which I do. I can throw, which I do. Or I can do anything else that I want to do -- as long as its not illegal or against the rules.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:48 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:Now, before people start bashing him for not wearing a helmet or even riding a motorcycle at all, remember that most of these guys who play professional football work hard and play hard. You can't expect these guys to go get the s*** knocked out of them on the field, and then go relax and watch Lifetime movies.

That doesn't make him any less of a complete dumbass.

Darwin lives.

And the last time I checked, i don't think I saw a football player running around the field without a helmet..... :-?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:55 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:
I don't buy that at all. Here's an excerpt from an ESPN interview with Roethlisberger that pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

ESPN: What obligation does a professional athlete have in his free time to not engage in certain activities?
Roethlisberger: The obligation for us is on the days we practice and on Sundays, the days that we play. That is the obligation we have, to go out and be athletes toward what we do. In my free time, I can work out, which I do. I can throw, which I do. Or I can do anything else that I want to do -- as long as its not illegal or against the rules.

you and ben are entitled to your opinions. my opinion is that molding yourself into a great athlete extends beyond game days and official practice times. being an athlete isnt something you do from 3:00-6:00pm on weekdays or whatever. thats the minimum effort. i've seen too many of my teammates take that attitude and not getting anywhere. being an athlete is something you are. you have to be it 24/7/365. every decision you make affects your performance and all the little things actually do add up to big things. its not just ben's season thats messed up now. its everyone on the teams season.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:28 pm

Quite a few people around here (on the Iowa side) ride there bikes without helmets (it's the law in NE). I don't think it's the brightest thing to do unless it's a long trip on a slower bike or something. If it's a crotch-rocket, bad idea.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby suppasonic » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:34 pm

Yep. Had he worn a helmet, accident probably would be a lot less series. No facial lacerations, no broken jaw, etc. etc.

Wear a helment next time, Ben.

Riding a motorcycle without a helmet is the same as riding a car without a helmet; you just dont do it.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:35 pm

suppasonic wrote:Yep. Had he worn a helmet, accident probably would be a lot less series. No facial lacerations, no broken jaw, etc. etc.

Riding a motorcycle without a helmet is the same as riding a car without a helmet; you just dont do it.

You wear a helmet when you drive your car?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mugrila » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:49 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
suppasonic wrote:Yep. Had he worn a helmet, accident probably would be a lot less series. No facial lacerations, no broken jaw, etc. etc.

You don't?

;-7
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:02 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:

I believe he meant seat belt. That or he's a race car driver.

Anyways, very sad, very stupid.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:04 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:Unless there was something written into his contract about this, then there is no way his contract should be voided.

Usually there is something written into contracts about riding vehicles like motorcycles, especially without a helmet.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Trot Nixon » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:09 pm

Even though I hate the Steelers, I wish Ben the best of luck and a speedy recovery, sad day
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk