Roethlisberger badly hurt in cycle crash - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Roethlisberger badly hurt in cycle crash

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roethlisberger badly hurt in cycle crash

Postby Pacman » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:32 pm

Prayers for Ben. Riding without a helmet is stupid, but that being said, I pray he's okay.

Link

Roethlisberger hurt in motorcycle crash

PITTSBURGH - Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was badly hurt in a motorcycle crash Monday and undergoing surgery. The extent of his injuries was not known.

Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition, said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital.

"He was talking to me before he left for the operating room," Jones said before the operation. "He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened. He knows where he is. From that standpoint, he's very stable."

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger likes to ride without a helmet, a habit that once prompted coach Bill Cowher to lecture him on the dangers. It was not known whether Roethlisberger was wearing a helmet when he crashed.

:-/
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:36 pm

You would think Kellen Winslow II would have been example enough to make Ben think twice about motorcycle safety. That's a real shame to see that happen to someone else in the NFL.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:36 pm

Heard this on the radio today. If he's in any way seriously injured and can't play, I think his contract would probably be voided. For his sake, hopefully it's not another Jay Williams scenario.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:10 pm

i heard facial lacerations, lost several teeth, and possibly has a broken jaw. he hit the side of a car (not sure who was at fault) and broke the car's windshield with his face.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby blankman » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:19 pm

He apparently then rolled over the hood and hit his knees, then head on the pavement :-o
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:22 pm

This is horrible. He's truly one of the good guys in the NFL, and, even though I'm not a Steelers fan, I always enjoy watching him play. I doubt he'll play this year, but I hope he eventually fully recovers and is able to get back on the field someday.

Now, before people start bashing him for not wearing a helmet or even riding a motorcycle at all, remember that most of these guys who play professional football work hard and play hard. You can't expect these guys to go get the s*** knocked out of them on the field, and then go relax and watch Lifetime movies. I know most people won't agree with me, but I have no problem players riding motorcycles or playing pickup hoops. Unless there was something written into his contract about this, then there is no way his contract should be voided.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:23 pm

blankman wrote:He apparently then rolled over the hood and hit his knees, then head on the pavement :-o

After all that, he apparently tried to stand up 8-o .
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:27 pm

I heard that his knees hit the windshield.

Anyways - doesn't look like he will be playing anytime soon. Praying for you Ben.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:29 pm

Here's some post-accident vid:

http://www.wpxi.com/video/9356341/index.html
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:40 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:This is horrible. He's truly one of the good guys in the NFL, and, even though I'm not a Steelers fan, I always enjoy watching him play. I doubt he'll play this year, but I hope he eventually fully recovers and is able to get back on the field someday.

Now, before people start bashing him for not wearing a helmet or even riding a motorcycle at all, remember that most of these guys who play professional football work hard and play hard. You can't expect these guys to go get the s*** knocked out of them on the field, and then go relax and watch Lifetime movies. I know most people won't agree with me, but I have no problem players riding motorcycles or playing pickup hoops. Unless there was something written into his contract about this, then there is no way his contract should be voided.

work hard, play hard when you retire. these guys have millions of dollars. they can find something else to do with their time. ride the bike when you retire.

i've heard his contract permits him to ride the bike during the offseason although the steelers begged him to stop riding after winslow's accident.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk