SP Angel Guzman - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SP Angel Guzman

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SP Angel Guzman

Postby norton17 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:27 pm

Whats the future look like for Guzman?

He was thought to be a top prospect a year or two ago.

He K'ed 20 in 18 IP, but also walked 16.
Isn't he supposed to have pretty good command?

What kind of stuff does he possess and can he make an impact this year or next?
norton17
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:30 pm

I'd stay away from him, he has been way to injury prone. Because of it his stuff isn't as good and his control is eratic. Yeah he was a top pitching prospect, but injuries have taken it's toll on him now.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby nolanwood » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Last season was Guzman's injury, so he's gonna need to log some innings this year in AAA before he'll make a significant impact when he comes up for good next year. His stuff is there....he just struggled a little with control in the first innings when he came up this year.

He's less injury prone than Cole Hamels....
Last edited by nolanwood on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:37 pm

nolanwood wrote:He's been less injury prone than Cole Hamels, if that tells you anything...

Last season was Guzman's injury, so he's gonna need to log some innings this year in AAA before he'll make a significant impact when he comes up for good next year.

Except Guzman's injuries have been much more worse on his arm and stuff, where as Cole's injuries never hendered that (never had anything require surgery like Guzman). A tear in your labrum isn't something to put lightly, it's much more difficult to come back from that then a back injury or whatever else Hamels has endured.

P.S. Just took a better look at him and he is pitching better this year considering. It's hard to say what his stuff is like now since it has changed since his surgery. I've heard his FB sits back in the low to mid 90's, yet his change up isn't what it used to be, and he didn't throw his curve much last year (not sure about it this year).
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby nolanwood » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:47 pm

hybrid wrote:Except Guzman's injuries have been much more worse on his arm and stuff, where as Cole's injuries never hendered that (never had anything require surgery like Guzman). A tear in your labrum isn't something to put lightly, it's much more difficult to come back from that then a back injury or whatever else Hamels has endured.

P.S. Just took a better look at him and he is pitching better this year considering. It's hard to say what his stuff is like now since it has changed since his surgery. I've heard his FB sits back in the low to mid 90's, yet his change up isn't what it used to be, and he didn't throw his curve much last year (not sure about it this year).

Yeah, he had a rough year last year including in winter ball as well. This year his velocity is almost back where it should be, and his pitches have had alot of movement. His main issue when he came up this year was control in the 1st inning's...I just don't think he's logged enough innings post surgery to gain enough confidence in his stuff yet.

I was just mentioning the Hamels thing because both have been talked about as "injury prone"....and Hamels hit the DL after only 2 starts when he came up. Guzman hasn't had arm issues since surgery.
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:49 pm

his control before and even after the first few injuries was preposterously good. after all he's been though its to be expected that that falls off, but i don't think its something that can't be regained either.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:52 pm

nolanwood wrote:I was just mentioning the Hamels thing because both have been talked about as "injury prone"....and Hamels hit the DL after only 2 starts when he came up. Guzman hasn't had arm issues since surgery.

Yeah I understand, though Guzman did arm issues since then. He had forearm stiffness last year that made him most all of last year, only pitched 18 total innings.

RugbyD wrote:his control before and even after the first few injuries was preposterously good. after all he's been though its to be expected that that falls off, but i don't think its something that can't be regained either.

Your right about his control, I can only assume I was thinking about another prospect and got them confused. :*)
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby nolanwood » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:19 pm

hybrid wrote:
Yeah I understand, though Guzman did arm issues since then. He had forearm stiffness last year that made him most all of last year, only pitched 18 total innings.

You are correct, I just hadn't considered him healed until this last offseason. Guzman has had alot of problems since his surgery. It appears that the long recovery is behind him now.... I hope;)
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:23 pm

I think he could be a good gamble in a keeper leauge. I personally think he will be better than Hill & Marshall if he can stay healthy. He was among the top young arms in the minors. He's still quite young and has always been highly coveted by the Cubs despite the injuries (a pattern there :-? jk). I wish all Cub fans and their players the best of luck. The losing will end sometime I hope.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby WittyC » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:53 pm

Havok1517 wrote:I think he could be a good gamble in a keeper leauge. I personally think he will be better than Hill & Marshall if he can stay healthy. He was among the top young arms in the minors. He's still quite young and has always been highly coveted by the Cubs despite the injuries (a pattern there :-? jk). I wish all Cub fans and their players the best of luck. The losing will end sometime I hope.

I still think Hill is the best of the bunch, and it's just nonsense that the Cubs don't have him in the rotation right now. He's dominated at every level, and the Cubs just need to ride out the rough times in a down season with him until he adjusts. That curveball just makes batters look silly.

It's certainly not time to write off Guzman, yet, but he might benefit from a recovery season in AAA with less of a workload.

I don't really care who the Cubs call up (Marmol?), but there is absolutely no reason Glendon Rusch should be getting the nod to start. I guess they're just hoping he starts pitching well so he has some trade value.
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers