Top 5 closers in a keeper league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 5 closers in a keeper league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby theultimate69 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:26 pm

To all those "fantasy GURU's" that think they're so smart: maybe WATCH Papelbon pitch for once in your life. I even saw the guy last year and said "Wow." I drafted him in March just because of how he had looked. Now everyone knows about him because he has obliterated the AL. Don't even think numbers - watch him! He pitches with so much confidence and so much poise, it's absurd to be compare him to Chris Shelton...
theultimate69
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Met_Threat » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:29 pm

theultimate69 wrote:To all those "fantasy GURU's" that think they're so smart: maybe WATCH Papelbon pitch for once in your life. I even saw the guy last year and said "Wow." I drafted him in March just because of how he had looked. Now everyone knows about him because he has obliterated the AL. Don't even think numbers - watch him! He pitches with so much confidence and so much poise, it's absurd to be compare him to Chris Shelton...

O wait you sarcastically label us "fantasy gurus" but when you watch a player pitch and deem him good, he ultimately is the best pitcher ever. Are you a scout for Boston?
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Red Sox Nation » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:37 pm

theultimate69 wrote:To all those "fantasy GURU's" that think they're so smart: maybe WATCH Papelbon pitch for once in your life. I even saw the guy last year and said "Wow." I drafted him in March just because of how he had looked. Now everyone knows about him because he has obliterated the AL. Don't even think numbers - watch him! He pitches with so much confidence and so much poise, it's absurd to be compare him to Chris Shelton...

I saw him pitch last year. He had good stuff. My league was an autodraft so he wasn't picked. After his first save vs TEX I picked him up.

The_Met_Threat wrote:

O wait you sarcastically label us "fantasy gurus" but when you watch a player pitch and deem him good, he ultimately is the best pitcher ever. Are you a scout for Boston?

LOL. Meh... I'm a Boston Fan and Papelbon is awesome for what he's done with Boston this year in the closing role but he's not the best pitcher out there now or before. He's young and until he retires you can't compare anyone really. You can only compare this current season players.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby garf112 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:39 pm

We each keep 8 and I refuse to keep a closer. I have not kept one the last two years. Last year I ended up with Joe Nathan, Miguel Batista, Turnbow off of the wire, and Hoffman in a trade. This year I drafted Street, Fuentes, MacDougal, picked up Putz and traded for Saito.

Keeping a closer is a VERY high-risk proposition. This years' keepers in our league: Joe Nathan (I traded him for a draft pick), Mariano Rivera, Brad Lidge, Billy Wagner, KRod, and Gagne.

There rank in saves:
7. Lidge
13(T). KRod (Fuentes and Street have as many saves)
15(T). Wagner
15(T). Rivera
29. Nathan
44(T). Gagne (I have Shields and he has the same amount of saves, one, as Gagne)

Bottom line... You CAN get saves in the draft. You just have to know which closers to go after.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Another Blown Save » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:53 pm

I'd still say that Rivera is the best closer in both keeper and non-keeper.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby activechamp2006 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:58 pm

the top 5 are easy

krod is obviously the best.. hes young and has a good track record with great stuff
pap is second kid is just a great young stud

in a keeper league really these are the only 2 that are keeper worthy.. i really think keeping a closer is a horrible idea, considering so many of them pop up on the free agents.. everyone else is either to old or 2 inexperienced.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby garf112 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:02 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:the top 5 are easy

krod is obviously the best.. hes young and has a good track record with great stuff

in a keeper league really these are the only 2 that are keeper worthy.. i really think keeping a closer is a horrible idea, considering so many of them pop up on the free agents.. everyone else is either to old or 2 inexperienced.

I would have to add Huston Street to this list. Oakland does not want to pay money for a closer, so, until Street becomes a free agent 5 years or so from now, Street is their closer. You can't find that kind of job security in any closer role other than with the A's right now.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:41 pm

garf112 wrote:

I would have to add Huston Street to this list. Oakland does not want to pay money for a closer, so, until Street becomes a free agent 5 years or so from now, Street is their closer. You can't find that kind of job security in any closer role other than with the A's right now.

They might trade him a year before that but your premise is correct. Billy Beane talks about selling the closer before he gets expensive in Moneyball so don't be surprised if Street goes with a 1/2 year or maybe even a year left before he becomes a FA. Beane would use Street to trade for a late-season key part or for some good prospects...most likely a late season key acquisition though.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:43 pm

garf112 wrote:

The thing with Street, aside from him being unhealthy, is that he isn't dominating like Ryan, Lidge, & Krod. He doesn't K near as many guys.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)

Postby garf112 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:51 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
garf112 wrote:

The thing with Street, aside from him being unhealthy, is that he isn't dominating like Ryan, Lidge, & Krod. He doesn't K near as many guys.

KRod's numbers are worse in every way than Street's, except for a slight edge in k/ip. I'll agree on Ryan, but have you checked out Lidge's numbers lately? He has been great again recently, but before that was taken out of the closer role and reinserted.

garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers