Orel Hershiser is creeping me out - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Orel Hershiser is creeping me out

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Smee » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:01 am

Phatferd wrote:The worst announcers by far are the White Sox. Most arrogant announcers/homers ever.

I've caught a couple of Sox games and those guys are pretty bad, just as you described them. I think local announcers in general suck, the Brewers guys openly root for the Brewers during the game. I'm considering writing them a strongly worded email....YOU GUYS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE OBJECTIVE!!!...that should teach them.

I think the best local guys that I've seen are the Twins announcers, Burt Blyleven and some other guy. They're solid.
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:07 am

Smee wrote:
Phatferd wrote:The worst announcers by far are the White Sox. Most arrogant announcers/homers ever.

I've caught a couple of Sox games and those guys are pretty bad, just as you described them. I think local announcers in general suck, the Brewers guys openly root for the Brewers during the game. I'm considering writing them a strongly worded email....YOU GUYS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE OBJECTIVE!!!...that should teach them.

I think the best local guys that I've seen are the Twins announcers, Burt Blyleven and some other guy. They're solid.

local broadcasters have to be objective? no they dont. i like it better when they arent. and yes i still think hawk sucks but not because he's a homer, he's just a soundboard.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Another Blown Save » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:18 am

I'm always freaked out by Tino Martinez's smile :-[
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Mugwump » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:19 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Smee wrote:

local broadcasters have to be objective? no they dont. i like it better when they arent. and yes i still think hawk sucks but not because he's a homer, he's just a soundboard.

I don't mind local/homers, but you guys are right the CWS commentators are blatant and verging on obnoxious.

Hawk is a complete moron!
I was in Los Angeles, and the team was playing in San Diego, but I didn't know it. I had taken LSD at noon. I thought it was an off-day. At 1pm, my girlfriend and trip partner looked at the paper and said, "Dock, you're pitching today!"
Mugwump
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:57 am

Some other teams may have this now, but the Angels broadcast now has a super-slow motion camera that's really great.

The all time best announcer was Harry Carry, you could tell he was drinking, so as the game went on, he got more and more funny and off topic. It was like watching a game with a really funny and nice guy at a bar. He'd call pitches "High and outside" that were in the dirt. He was definitely a Cubby booster, but he didn't hold back criticizing bad plays.

Vin Scully is probably the most polished and knowledgable play-by-play guy, plus he's got an encyclopedic knowledge of baseball history.

All the ESPN guys are good.

I generally hate the Fox playoff guys, they spend too much time talking about everything but the game, plus, they spend so much camera time on things other than the game at hand. THey're fixated on creating drama surrounding the game, and not so much on the actual game. Sometimes, they cut back to the game when the ball is already heading toward the plate. If it's a really tense moment in the game, they'll start cutting away to fans or coaches watching to try and build up the drama visually, and I'm screaming "THE GAME IDIOTS! SHOW THE GAME!"
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:07 am

johnsamo wrote:Some other teams may have this now, but the Angels broadcast now has a super-slow motion camera that's really great.

The all time best announcer was Harry Carry, you could tell he was drinking, so as the game went on, he got more and more funny and off topic. It was like watching a game with a really funny and nice guy at a bar. He'd call pitches "High and outside" that were in the dirt. He was definitely a Cubby booster, but he didn't hold back criticizing bad plays.

Vin Scully is probably the most polished and knowledgable play-by-play guy, plus he's got an encyclopedic knowledge of baseball history.

All the ESPN guys are good.

I generally hate the Fox playoff guys, they spend too much time talking about everything but the game, plus, they spend so much camera time on things other than the game at hand. THey're fixated on creating drama surrounding the game, and not so much on the actual game. Sometimes, they cut back to the game when the ball is already heading toward the plate. If it's a really tense moment in the game, they'll start cutting away to fans or coaches watching to try and build up the drama visually, and I'm screaming "THE GAME IDIOTS! SHOW THE GAME!"

i agree with almost everything you said. but joe morgan is the absoulute worst. his snide remarks are offputting. he just seems like an arogant s.o.b.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:49 am

Joe does seem to bring up the "I'm a hall of fame 2nd basemen" thing a lot... I've seen much worse announcers though....

THe team I'd really love to see is Harold McReynolds and John Kruk going at it. They'd spend half the game arguing, but it'd be hilarious.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby echrisl » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:41 am

I also have really enjoyed Hershiser in the booth this year, he's rapidly becoming a favorite of mine as well.

I haven't noticed these faces, I'll have to start looking for them.
Using a key to gouge expletives on another's vehicle is a sign of trust and friendship.
echrisl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Apollo » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:37 am

Did anyone else watch the Sox/Indians game last night?

Jon Miller: Travis Hafner stepping up, he's nicknamed "Pronk" after the Eddie Murphy character in Shrek. You saw that one, didn't you Joe?

Joe Morgan: No, I didn't see it. People told me about it. Why would I see that movie?

Jon: I don't know, I've heard it was good

Joe: I don't care, I wouldn't go see it. I've never seen that movie.

Jon: Okay, Joe.

Joe: I prefer science-fiction movies.

Jon: Oh, okay. Did you see the Matrix movies?

Joe: Yeah, those are more my speed. But not Shrek!

Me: Oh my God, will you idiots shut up?!

By the way, the Eddie Murphy character in Shrek was "Donkey." Pronk is a combination of "Project" and "Donkey." So we started off on a horribly flawed premise anyway.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers