Keeper etiquette: When is it okay to throw in the towel - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper etiquette: When is it okay to throw in the towel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper etiquette: When is it okay to throw in the towel

Postby Geek » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:41 pm

for this year and try to improve your team for next year?

I'm in a 5X5 roto keeper league (keep 3) where I'm 40 points out of first and ten points out of 6th. The team has no chance of being competitive this year--too many teams to climb over, too many holes in the lineup, not enough K's in the starting rotation. I'm quite disgusted with the way things turned out, and would rather not even look at this lineup anymore.

But, I do have some players that are in much demand--Papi, A-Rod*, Bay, Carpenter, Rollins, Cantu, Willingham, Webb, Carpenter, Contreras, Willis, Colon, and Lidge.

So, do I tank this year in hopes of upgrading for next year (offering my entire roster for Johann or Pujols)? Or do I wait another month?

When is it considered bad form to quit in a keeper league and just play for next year?

*I've gone several times over the numbers, and am absolutely convinced that A-Rod has begun to decline significantly.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dodgers6 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:47 pm

personally , and i dont consider myself a expert, i would be putting some packages together to get 3 1st rounders (even a-rod ) and would pick up some gems the guys here at the Cafe have found, Kemp, Hamels, Jer. Weaver, etc.
dodgers6
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SuperSlugger360 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:52 pm

This is actually a very good question. I'm wondering the same myself. One team of mine has been totally disappointing, and at this point, it looks pretty bleak. However, I think I'm going to wait until July or so, and re-evaluate my team. The major issue for me, is that, in roto leagues, it's not easy to make up ground in things like average, and I'm doing terrible there. :(.

Dug myself a hole too deep. Oh well. I'd definetely wait towards July, and by then, if it looks too bleak, I'd do a Florida Marlins esque fire-sale.
SuperSlugger360 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:56 pm

You've got pretty decent keeper options already... only maybe Pujols, or taking a flyer on King Felix I might consider.... Haw many teams in your league? My guess is not enuf, you've got too many starts to be doing so badly. Too few teams makes rosters too star laden, and half the fun of FBB should be trying to patch a full roter together when there aren't any stars available.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Geek » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:58 pm

johnsamo wrote:You've got pretty decent keeper options already... only maybe Pujols, or taking a flyer on King Felix I might consider.... Haw many teams in your league? My guess is not enuf, you've got too many starts to be doing so badly. Too few teams makes rosters too star laden, and half the fun of FBB should be trying to patch a full roter together when there aren't any stars available.

12 teams in the league.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:59 pm

But back to your first question, I'd say now is the time. The sooner Pujols is due to play, the more the player is likely to want to keep him... Likewise, if you want to take a flyer on King Felix, you better hurry because he's just thrown his first great game... a few more and he may not be gettable...

But to me, A-Rod, Pappi and Webb makes for 3 pretty good keepers.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Geek » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:01 pm

dodgers6 wrote:personally , and i dont consider myself a expert, i would be putting some packages together to get 3 1st rounders (even a-rod ) and would pick up some gems the guys here at the Cafe have found, Kemp, Hamels, Jer. Weaver, etc.

I offered someone A-Rod, Ortiz, and Carp for Vlad, Pujols, and RJ.

Bay's about the only guy I don't consider expendable--which is ironic considering I was really down on him early in the year.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:03 pm

Package Papi and Bay for Pujols or Johan. Even i think that it is an unfair trade, it is still worth more to you. You got Carpenter for a nice 3rd keeper, or you can make some trades to get a 3rd.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:05 pm

Geez, I'm a 12 team (6 keeper league) and have nothing like the talent you have but I'm vying for first... hang in there a bit, you might rise.... Cantu, Rollins, Carpenter, Lidge and Colon could put up great 2nd half stats... A-Rod can go on tears too... His avg. is abnormally low this year, same with Pappi.... Hang in there a bit longer, see if they turn it around.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:08 pm

If you ask some of the VKC guys you can start to throw the towel in around Mid-April. :-P

If you are certain that your team can't compete even if you were to make a trade to upgrade, then try and move your "sell high" guys ASAP. Don't sell out on solid players who are struggling just to get something out of them for next year. You still have plenty of time for their stocks to rise and for the real contenders to become more desperate for firepower.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers