Quick Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Quick Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:29 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Pokeyouindaeye wrote:
Madison wrote:They should, but most don't. How did you get a parking ticket? :-?

Apparently I parked too close to someone's driveway. They called the police and they gave me a 38 dollar parking ticket at 1:30 in the morning. I'm totally never parking there again.

Were you parking in front of the driveway opening??

Yeah, about 6 inches. I'm not going to lie. I did park too close, and I paid the ticket as a result. I'm just wondering whether it'll affect my insurance rates.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:32 pm

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Pokeyouindaeye wrote:
Madison wrote:They should, but most don't. How did you get a parking ticket? :-?

Apparently I parked too close to someone's driveway. They called the police and they gave me a 38 dollar parking ticket at 1:30 in the morning. I'm totally never parking there again.

Were you parking in front of the driveway opening??

Yeah, about 6 inches. I'm not going to lie. I did park too close, and I paid the ticket as a result. I'm just wondering whether it'll affect my insurance rates.

Not sure where you live but I would say no. It's generally only moving violations and/or those with points attached to them.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:03 pm

acsguitar wrote:

Why should they???

Because most parking tickets are due to stupidity, and I'm in the camp that stupid people should be punished when they do something dumb.

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:Apparently I parked too close to someone's driveway. They called the police and they gave me a 38 dollar parking ticket at 1:30 in the morning. I'm totally never parking there again.

Sounds like that person needs a hobby (unless there wasn't enough room for them to pull in or back out?), but props to you for admitting you did it and paying the fine. ;-D

I doubt that your insurance company will care about that one. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:11 pm

Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Why should they???

Because most parking tickets are due to stupidity, and I'm in the camp that stupid people should be punished when they do something dumb.

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:Apparently I parked too close to someone's driveway. They called the police and they gave me a 38 dollar parking ticket at 1:30 in the morning. I'm totally never parking there again.

Sounds like that person needs a hobby (unless there wasn't enough room for them to pull in or back out?), but props to you for admitting you did it and paying the fine. ;-D

I doubt that your insurance company will care about that one. ;-)

When it comes to parking on the street with a meter present, I don't see any reason not to pump a couple quarters in the meter. To not do that is certainly an exercise in, not so much stupidity, but authoritative indifference and certainly deserves the fine allocated. That said, i don't think that under any circumstance that parking tickets should raise your insurance, unless it's specifically related to parking in a handicapped space or in front of a hydrant (in which case the fine is generally more severe than your typical parking ticket and may result in insurance rate hikes anyway).

That's said, I accumulated a few parking tickets in the past few years, all of which were on my college campus. The tickets are not federally, or even state regulated so I need not worry about insurance, but there were certainly cases where I would gladly pay a $10 parking ticket rather than park in an inconvenient location. This was particularly true when I lived on campus, the February winds made you want to kill yourself and the parking lot was something like 2 miles away.

So, Madison is our resident Texan and "shoot 'em while you got 'em" kinda guy, but I'm a firm believer in the punshment fitting the crime, at least in reasonable practice. That said, a routine parking ticket should not, and typically does not, raise your insurance rates. If you're too lazy to put 50 cents in the meter, then good riddance to you paying an $80 fine. But if you park in front of a fire hydrant; well, that's a safety risk and deserves a little firmer action.

End of story.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:50 am

Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Why should they???

I agree and they are. They get a fine. I differentiated the offenses before but I don't think that someone that has an expired meter should be handled like someone that does 100 in a 45.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:31 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Why should they???

I agree and they are. They get a fine. I differentiated the offenses before but I don't think that someone that has an expired meter should be handled like someone that does 100 in a 45.

Oh I agree with that, and quite a few insurance companies have different rate increases based on the offenses. 100 in a 45 gets a bigger rate jack than 72 in a 60 (yeah I did 72 in a 60 and called to find out what I was looking at in rate hike--they had recently changed the highway speed limits from 65 to 60 and I was just going with the flow. Paid the court costs, took defensive driving, and had a 90 day "probation" period where if I didn't get another ticket, it wouldn't go on my record since my record was sparkling clean.).

Anyway, a small rate jack for someone who parks where it's clearly marked "NO PARKING" should be done in my opinion. I watch people do it all day long during the school year around my son's school. What's nice though, is one of Fort Worth's finest does go through there writing tickets. Makes me chuckle the rest of the day that people are too stupid to not park in the areas where the NO PARKING signs are! :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to General Talk