Papelbon's Future - Starter Or Closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Papelbon's Future - Starter Or Closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Blakas » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:12 pm

^^^^^^^ This sounds pretty logical.

Have Dempster, Gonzalez and Jones/Rodney at very reasonable prices for a keeper situation so guess I'll move Paps and try to land the help I need to make a run...
Blakas
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Red Sox Nation » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:22 pm

1st post here. :-)

Papelbon, I believe, was prepared Spring Training as a starter and replace Foulke in the first week of the season as their closer. Personally, I like Papelbon as a closer but remember that he had some good starts last year for the Sox. He could go either way but for most, if not all this season, he'll probably remain their closer.

Hansen is trained/drafted to become Boston's future closer. He's on their 40 team roster and is currently in a $4mil/4year deal. IMO, he'll most likely be their closer next season.

Another potential starter is Jon Lester. With Wells aging and injured he could possibly replace him in the future.

Those are basically the three big names for BoSox pitching prospects. I hope Lester stays in the big leagues for another start and that Boston recalls Hansen up soon.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pokey » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:03 pm

The way I see it, with a kid this talented, there's no reason not to try and turn him into a starter. As fantasy owners we might overvalue the closer position a little bit, Papelbons been an elite closer so far, but if he can be an elite starter, he'll probably be worth 5-10 more wins a year to the Sox (especially if they have someone capable in the closer role, hopefully Hansen).

And if he doesn't succeed as a starter, who's to say he won't dominate if put back into the closer's role? They have to at least try.

RE: "Then again, these are the people who traded Arroyo for Wily Mo Strikeouts."

24-year old Wily Mo was hitting .321/.370/.482 before he got injured. Arroyo would not have a 2.31 ERA if he was still pitching in the AL East.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CadensDad » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:25 pm

Geek wrote:He's the best at his position in all of Major League Baseball.

It would be pure stupidity to mess with that.

Then again, these are the people who traded Arroyo for Wily Mo Strikeouts.

He's good I'll admit, but not the ebst at his postion. Not yet anyways

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mikegp » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:03 am

Although he's been great as closer so far, the Red sox need him in the rotation next year(most likely) and his value is much more as a SP as well. However, if he struggles in a starting role I could see them moving him back to closer where he has been dominate.
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nsulham » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:09 am

The notion that the Red Sox are stretching Hansen out to be a starter is false.

He's being stretched out to work on his other pitches. He, and the team, found out last September that you can't be a 1-2 pitch pitcher and have success. He's in Pawtucket getting his innings in mainly to work on his slider, changeup, etc., NOT to become a starter.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Red Sox Nation » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:16 pm

nsulham wrote:The notion that the Red Sox are stretching Hansen out to be a starter is false.

He's being stretched out to work on his other pitches. He, and the team, found out last September that you can't be a 1-2 pitch pitcher and have success. He's in Pawtucket getting his innings in mainly to work on his slider, changeup, etc., NOT to become a starter.

Hansen is a CLOSER.

Papelbon is the best closer this season (ahead of Ryan) in the AL. Jenks is doing excellent too along with Street (the past week that is).

I think I mentioned how Papelbon prepared as a starter in spring training but ended up in the bullpen and got the closer role. He could go either way and with the limited amount of good pitchers in the Sox rotation (ie: Schilling and Beckett; Wakefield has some good outings but Clement and Wells have been mediorce), I wouldn't be suprised if the Sox "dump" or trade Clement (dunno his signing deal with the Sox) and get rid of the old Wells and add Lester and Papelbon to the rotation and stick Hansen into the closer role next year.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers