Jason Kubel - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Kubel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jason Kubel

Postby The Big Train » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:39 pm

Anyone want to speculate on whether this guy might be right for a pickup?? He's been hot since being recalled and I know Minnesota is high on him long term. I seem to recall he had outstanding numbers in the minors. I'm guessing he's not on anyone's radar right now since he was demoted earlier. Anyone familiar with him?
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rookies » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:44 pm

Kubel was one of the Twins top hitting prospects before he blew out his knee. He looked lost during his first call up earlier this year but has looked good so far during call up number two.

One comparision I heard of him as a hitter is Brian Giles. I'm thinking he's still at least a year away from contributing to Fantasy Teams.

It will be harder for Kubel to get at bats once Shannon Stewart comes off the DL.
Don't try to strike everyone out. Strikeouts are boring besides that they're fascist. Throw some ground balls it's more democratic. - Crash Davis
Rookies
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bosy Billups » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:47 pm

If Kubel can keep this up, he will be playing everyday. Personaly, I wished they moved Cuddyer to 3B so Kubel can take RF.

Anyway, he is a legit prospect and it has been said he has the potential to consistently hit 25+ Hr's with a .300+ average.
Bosy Billups
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MashinSpuds » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:53 pm

If your league doesn't count K's, he'll probably help you out here and there. Like Rookies said, he's probably a season away from getting into his groove. I guess play the hot handed rookie if you've got the room, but don't expect miracles.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Surfs up » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:01 am

The Twins are done for this year. Chances are good Stewart will be traded. Even Hunter could be gone.I believe they will find a way to keep Kubel in the lineup. Batista could be benched or relesed and move Cuddyer back to third.Rondell White has been terrible so far and I doubt he fits into their plans.In any case Kubel will get his at bats. If you can afoord to wait in keeper leagues I think he will help some this year and more next.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 194)

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:23 pm

Sounds like surf's up and I are on the same page. He's a strong prospect, and I'm glad to see he's regaining his stroke. He's still really not hitting for much power, which is somewhat worriesome. He's definitely a guy you'll want to add and watch if you're in a keeper league, but his impact in non-keepers will only be in the deepest leagues.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Big Train » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:20 am

I guess there's no beter way to keep yourself in the lineup that by hitting a game winning grand slam in extra innings, lol. :-D

And it came off one of the players I despise the most: Julian Tavarez. ;-D
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Big Train » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:02 pm

I guess this might be construed as good news for Kubel if they do decide to move Cuddyer to third and give the OF position to Kubel, though the article suggests that the Twins will go with a committee of other players at third right now.

MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- The days of Tony Batista as a Twin appear to now be over.

Following their 5-2 victory over the Red Sox in 12 innings Tuesday night, the Twins announced that they had designated Batista for assignment and recalled shortstop Jason Bartlett from Triple-A Rochester to take his spot on the roster.

Bartlett will assume the starting shortstop spot from Juan Castro and provide what the Twins hope will be a jolt to a slumping offense.

"We need to change it up a little bit," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said of his team. "Bartlett's been playing his tail off. We called down there today again, and he's doing everything you can possibly do, running all over the place, taking charge of the infield and doing what it takes to be a big-league shortstop. So that's what we're hoping for."

In 58 games with the Red Wings this season, Bartlett batted .306, including a 1-for-4 performance in a game Tuesday against Indianapolis. His 23 doubles also lead the International League.

The Twins now have 10 days to either trade Batista or send him to the Minors.

Batista had been the starting third baseman all season for the Twins, but Gardenhire said that the team now plans to use a committee of players to fill the spot including Castro, Nick Punto, Luis Rodriguez and Terry Tiffee.

When the Twins signed Batista this past offseason, the hope was that he would add some power to a lineup that has often lacked it over the past few years. But with Batista hitting just .236 with five home runs and 21 RBIS, the decision was made to go back to a player who could provide a bit more speed to an offense that has long been based around it.

"We were hoping Tony would be able to hit a few more home runs," Gardenhire said. "He's been wonderful here, a quality person, just what we thought when we brought him over. It's just that we're just not getting the production we need."

Bartlett had been considered the favorite to win the starting shortstop job during Spring Training, but a lack of vocal leadership made Gardenhire choose to break camp with Castro as his starter.

The thought was that once Bartlett displayed an ability at Rochester to do that, he would likely get a chance to return to the club. With all the reports saying he's done just that, Bartlett received the news following Rochester's 2-0 loss on Tuesday that he would once again get his chance with the Twins.
Image + Image = 762

The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:04 pm

Kid can absolutely rake. If you guys were high on Morneau, then this guy should be owned in all leagues right now.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby garf112 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:00 pm

I think he is going to be an excellent hitter. I'd pick him up if I had any room in my OF right now. He has the ability to go 20-20.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers