100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Kemp

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:41 am

Diggs wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
hybrid wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Hey Hybrid. I wanna ask you a qyestion real quick. Say both Kemp & Guzman max out and meet their potentials...who will have the better career???

Hm, well I thought I answered this back when we talked about them before. Anyways I like Kemp more as a prospect and I like his potential more .... so I would take Kemp. The reason why we disagree here is because you think their potential is one thing, and I think it is another.

hmmm...interesting

If they max out on potential I say Kemp might have Bay or Abreu potential while Guzman has Pujols or MCab potential, I'd pick the latter.

Pujols potential? Players like that come along once or twice a decade. Joel Guzman, even if he M-A-X-S out has Albert Pujols potential?

Ok, I guess I'm done considering anything you ever say (however, after you have been sh.tting on Kemp for about 2 weeks now and quoting rotoworld as your "information source," I was done paying you any mind even before this comment. This just pushed it over the edge.)

HTH.

I could care less what you think. Rotoworld simply made a game observation that Kemp appears to have a problem hitting curve balls. I've seen it other places but that was the easiest source to find. Guzman has scouts drooling over his skills and potential. He was the most heavily recruited player probably ever to come our of the DR. I haven't "sh.tted" on Kemp at all I just stated that I don't think he will be as good as Guzman will be. Kemp has hit the ground running and gotten people excited, much like Francouer did last year, and don't think he's as good as other prospects. I see multiple MVP type seasons coming Guzman's way. I've stated that and I believe that.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:25 pm

houstonoilers wrote:I have a question for Hybrid?

You seem to be pretty savy on the upcoming players....how can a kid who hit 27 hrs and stole 23 bases not be in the top 100 prospect list...was it because he was thinking about playing basketball? Do they not have breaking pitches/off speed pitches in A or AA ball? I know its a different caliber but he seems to have hit those pitches at those levels...confused on the scrutiny(sp?) on this kid.

Well he was on BA's Top 100 this year, but overall most people over looked him. Why, well one reason is because most tend to me wary of toolsy prospects that are pretty raw, unless they have a background to make them over look it somewhat. Happens all the time especially w/ BA in their rankings. A great example is the Cubs Ryan Harvey, had great tools and power and was a top pick. Yet he constantly struggled with his swing and plate discipline ... still does. Yet he was still ranked high they say due to his "potential". Rankings aren't the perfect solution to anything, guys miss prospects that come up and finally put things together like Kemp. He has improved a lot since last year when he was more of a raw, swinging at more pitches type player ... another reason for his sudden jump.

Havok1517 wrote:If they max out on potential I say Kemp might have Bay or Abreu potential while Guzman has Pujols or MCab potential, I'd pick the latter.

Like I said, we disagree on their potential. IMO Guzman will never have the potential to hit for the AVG. they do and never have that type of plate discipline they show. He could have 40 HR power, but that is the only likeness I see with those players.
Last edited by hybrid on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby houstonoilers » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:49 pm

hybrid wrote:
houstonoilers wrote:I have a question for Hybrid?

You seem to be pretty savy on the upcoming players....how can a kid who hit 27 hrs and stole 23 bases not be in the top 100 prospect list...was it because he was thinking about playing basketball? Do they not have breaking pitches/off speed pitches in A or AA ball? I know its a different caliber but he seems to have hit those pitches at those levels...confused on the scrutiny(sp?) on this kid.

Well he was on BA's Top 100 this year, but overall most people over looked him. Why, well one reason is because most tend to me wary of toolsy prospects that are pretty raw, unless they have a background to make them over look it somewhat. Happens all the time especially w/ BA in their rankings. A great example is the Cubs Ryan Harvey, had great tools and power and was a top pick. Yet he constantly struggled with his swing and plate discipline ... still does. Yet he was still ranked high they say due to his "potential". Rankings aren't the perfect solution to anything, guys miss prospects that come up and finally put things together like Kemp. He has improved a lot since last year when he was more of a raw, swinging at more pitches type player ... another reason for his sudden job.

Havok1517 wrote:If they max out on potential I say Kemp might have Bay or Abreu potential while Guzman has Pujols or MCab potential, I'd pick the latter.

Like I said, we disagree on their potential. IMO Guzman will never have the potential to hit for the AVG. they do and never have that type of plate discipline they show. He could have 40 HR power, but that is the only likeness I see with those players.

thanks for your input Hyrbid.

I have Delmon and Matt in my keeper league and am very excited...peace and hair grease
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bobcat99 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:17 pm

Is Kemp worth dropping G. Jenkins or K. greene for? They have both been struggling Jenkins inparticular really has.
bobcat99 Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:46 pm

bobcat...here is what Sandy Alomar, Jr has to say about young Matt Kemp...

Ex-Indian Sandy Alomar heaped high praise on red-hot Matt Kemp. "He reminds me right away of Manny Ramirez," Alomar told MLB.com. "He's a confident guy -- he trusts in himself. He told me in Spring Training in the outfield one day that he was going to make the club right away, right out of A-ball. That might sound crazy, but that's the kind of confidence Manny had. And this guy had even less time in the minors than Manny. This guy has such a quick bat for a big guy. That's very rare. So, they can't throw inside on him and now he's laying off the breaking ball away. He's a special kind of player."

The above is from CBSportsline.

Yep, I own the kid in a keeper... ;-D
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers