Matt Kemp - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Kemp

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kcs261 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:17 pm

Whoa, I got him with the 4th priority tonight. Three people above me were sleeping. ;-D
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:20 pm

hes been on my free agent list for a few weeks now. just picked him up today...gonna bench rowand for a little while.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby buminabox » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:28 pm

Diggs wrote:"Exactly," to the guy earlier who said that rotoworld made an "offspeed trouble," comment after the Dodgers played the Mets. It was Pedro Martinez ... PEDRO FREAKING MARTINEZ! And while Pedro (a sure-fire first ballot hall of famer) did make him look silly in his first two at bats with some offspeed breaking balls, Kemp made the necessary adjustment and parked another offspeed breaking ball 400+ feet to right-center field in his third at bat. ;-D

Anyone talking negative about Kemp right now is just pissed that someone else beat them to the waiver wire to pick him up while they got caught sleeping. :~(

HTH.

True. You they can keep on looking for ways to put this guy down, and he just keeps on producing. Hell obviously have his bumbs as do all rookies, but i hell make ajustements and improve. The talent is there.
buminabox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby v1rtuoso » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:36 am

Dropped hunter for him today. Hope it works out :-o
[url=http://fantasy-tracker.v1rtuser.com/]Free stattracker for Yahoo leagues[/url]
[url=http://fantasy-tracker.v1rtuser.com/dostats.php?mid=v1rtuser1]My team[/url]
v1rtuoso
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ravenmad22 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:38 am

Kemp is known as a good talent with a great work ethic. He has worked hard at every level to become a better hitter and while he lacks the upside of Joel Guzman, he projects to be a very good major leaguer.

That said, it's wishful thinking, that he won't hit an extended slump this season. Pitchers will adjust to him and start throwing more breaking balls off the plate, and PT will be an issue if he does slump. Rarely do hitters come up at that young age and produce at a high level in their rookie season. See Francouer, Jeff. Bottom line, Kemp is a must have in keeper leagues, but yearly leaguers should look to sell high before pitchers get a book on him.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:44 am

ravenmad22 wrote:Kemp is known as a good talent with a great work ethic. He has worked hard at every level to become a better hitter and while he lacks the power potential upside of Joel Guzman, he projects to be a very good major leaguer.

There fixed it for you, and he is no slouch in that department obviously. ;-)
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Amazing Oopah » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:54 am

I'm so frustrated with Hawpe and Wilkerson lately that I may drop one of them for this Kemp guy :-?
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:35 am

I grabbed him late last week (both he and Milledge in one league for the heck of it). Then I was watching the Rox/Dodgers game yesterday, and the Rockie commentators said that Kemp had the potential to be one of the "top 5 players in baseball" in the next 3 or 4 years. I was blown away by that comment. I knew he was projected to be good, but not that good. Anyway, I'm riding the wave baby! ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:13 am

p32bars wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Heard Kemp has a problem hitting off speed stuff. Give pitchers some time to see how to get this guy out. It wil happen.

What is it with comments like these that make it seem like people on these forums are rooting for his failure. I've heard so much crap over the years about young guys coming in and tearing things up and then I hear the people spewing out the negative comments and how guys really aren't that good while they're in the midst of their own respective hot streaks.

It's like the people on these boards who make these comments are actual major league scouts who have been following these players from high school to the majors just waiting to throw something out there negative.

Sure, I understand that once pitchers get used to Kemp, they will develop a gameplan on how to pitch him, that's how baseball works, but on the other hand, don't say that once a gameplan is administered, there is nothing Kemp or anyone else can do about it so we might as well just drop him or don't worry about adding him b/c he will be tainted once pitchers learn to pitch him.

I also understand the rookies of fantasy baseball that cream their pants over young studs or guys who start off 10 for their first 18 or some other type of insane stat that sparks the topics: "Drop Berkman for Kendry Morales" or "Drop Zito for Zumaya".

Relevant posts are needed to help young fantasy ballers from making mistakes during the course of their season, but I'm sick of guys posting things, that in my opinion, are nothing more than hopeful, lucky guesses on how a player will perform in a said period of time made soley so that if the player does poorly, the guy who posted it will look like a genius.

I'm all for opinions, but if you have one, at least back it up with credible evidence or stats from years past. We all know that pitchers will start understanding how to pitch Kemp, you're definately right about that, but who is to say Kemp can't adapt and adjust? It's not a one way street, there are two parties to this equation, Kemp and opposing pitchers.

Sorry for the vent, but this has reached a boiling point with me over the past few weeks.

Wow, I do think he is a fine prospect but this is for sure honeymoon time.

rotoworld

Jun. 11, 2006 - 7:01 pm et

Matt Kemp homered twice off Aaron Cook and the Dodgers scored a pair of runs off Brian Fuentes in the ninth to win 6-5 on Sunday.
Kemp has six homers while starting nine games since he was called up two weeks ago. Like Jeff Francoeur before him, he can be pitched to. However, the Rockies' pitchers certainly had no idea how to go about attacking him. As long as Kemp keeps hitting, Jose Cruz Jr. and Andre Ethier will receive fewer at-bats.

Matt Kemp went 2-for-4 and hit his fourth homer Tuesday in a win over the Mets.
It doesn't take much more than an average curve or slider to make Kemp look silly, but when he gets something straight, he's feasting at the plate. We're guessing Tom Glavine, Wednesday's scheduled starter, was taking notes.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby ravenmad22 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:17 am

Havok1517 wrote:
p32bars wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Heard Kemp has a problem hitting off speed stuff. Give pitchers some time to see how to get this guy out. It wil happen.

What is it with comments like these that make it seem like people on these forums are rooting for his failure. I've heard so much crap over the years about young guys coming in and tearing things up and then I hear the people spewing out the negative comments and how guys really aren't that good while they're in the midst of their own respective hot streaks.

It's like the people on these boards who make these comments are actual major league scouts who have been following these players from high school to the majors just waiting to throw something out there negative.

Sure, I understand that once pitchers get used to Kemp, they will develop a gameplan on how to pitch him, that's how baseball works, but on the other hand, don't say that once a gameplan is administered, there is nothing Kemp or anyone else can do about it so we might as well just drop him or don't worry about adding him b/c he will be tainted once pitchers learn to pitch him.

I also understand the rookies of fantasy baseball that cream their pants over young studs or guys who start off 10 for their first 18 or some other type of insane stat that sparks the topics: "Drop Berkman for Kendry Morales" or "Drop Zito for Zumaya".

Relevant posts are needed to help young fantasy ballers from making mistakes during the course of their season, but I'm sick of guys posting things, that in my opinion, are nothing more than hopeful, lucky guesses on how a player will perform in a said period of time made soley so that if the player does poorly, the guy who posted it will look like a genius.

I'm all for opinions, but if you have one, at least back it up with credible evidence or stats from years past. We all know that pitchers will start understanding how to pitch Kemp, you're definately right about that, but who is to say Kemp can't adapt and adjust? It's not a one way street, there are two parties to this equation, Kemp and opposing pitchers.

Sorry for the vent, but this has reached a boiling point with me over the past few weeks.

Wow, I do think he is a fine prospect but this is for sure honeymoon time.

rotoworld

Jun. 11, 2006 - 7:01 pm et

Matt Kemp homered twice off Aaron Cook and the Dodgers scored a pair of runs off Brian Fuentes in the ninth to win 6-5 on Sunday.
Kemp has six homers while starting nine games since he was called up two weeks ago. Like Jeff Francoeur before him, he can be pitched to. However, the Rockies' pitchers certainly had no idea how to go about attacking him. As long as Kemp keeps hitting, Jose Cruz Jr. and Andre Ethier will receive fewer at-bats.

Matt Kemp went 2-for-4 and hit his fourth homer Tuesday in a win over the Mets.
It doesn't take much more than an average curve or slider to make Kemp look silly, but when he gets something straight, he's feasting at the plate. We're guessing Tom Glavine, Wednesday's scheduled starter, was taking notes.

While I agree with the sentiment that he will fall off this season from his current output, quoting Rotoworld's advice is not a good way to drive your point home. Go to rotoworld for their news, but try to ignore the little blurb they write under the information. You get what you pay for if you catch my drift.

Anyway, Kemp does lack the overall potential of Joel Guzman. Guzman projects long term for a higher average, better on base skills and power according to BP.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers