Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue May 30, 2006 3:56 pm

BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue May 30, 2006 4:06 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Reality check?

http://www.metsblog.com/blog/_archives/ ... 71828.html

In Milledge's defense that was from August of last year...a lot can change in almost a year and Milledge's bb/k rate is much better now. Maybe he's made some adjustments.

I'm not sure what I want to do with Milledge in my keeper league. First of all I'm hoping against hope that he does not get 130ab before August 21st. If he goes over the 130ab mark I have to keep him as one of my 6 keepers - if he doesn't I can keep him as a minor leaguer.

The other issue for me is whether I want to drop a guy like Youklis, Counsell or Lofton to make room for him on my roster. I'm just not sure whether it's worth it for me to bring him up from my minor league roster any time soon given my starting players (Crawford, Giles, D.Roberts/K.Lofton/C.Granderson for the last 2 slots). :-?
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby The_Met_Threat » Tue May 30, 2006 4:08 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Reality check?

http://www.metsblog.com/blog/_archives/ ... 71828.html

That "scouting report" by "JoeZ" is almost a year old. Many changes have been made by Lastings since then, and he shows much more patience at the plate. .425 OBP 32 Walks...
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby j24jags » Tue May 30, 2006 4:13 pm

i'm psyched B-)
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Krunk City King$ » Tue May 30, 2006 6:11 pm

interview from last year:

Lastings Milledge is a center field prospect in the New York Mets organization. The 2003 first-round pick played at two levels in 2005, starting in the Florida State League and ending in the Double-A Eastern League. Combined, he hit .318 with 29 steals. He also represented the United States in international competition, playing in the IBAF World Cup in the Netherlands. Now the 20-year-old is a member of the Grand Canyon Rafters and will be chronicling his experiences in an AFL journal for MiLB.com. In 13 games, Milledge has hit .302 with two homers, nine RBIs and five stolen bases.
• Send Lastings an email.

Hey everyone. It's been a pretty good week. I hit a walk-off homer in the ninth inning the other day. It's cool, especially when your team needs you. It's exciting when everyone comes together to meet you at home plate. That's how everyone wants to play the game, and it's a great way to end the game. I get an extra charge when something like that happens. It gives me and my team an extra spark, even into the next day. It carries over. It gives you more confidence going into the next day.

I can't seem to get the multi-hit games coming regularly, but I'm staying within striking range. One day, I'll have that breakout game when I can get the average up to the mid threes or high threes. The average isn't that important though. That's not the thing I'm worried about. There are other aspects of the game I want to compete better at. If I don't get the average way up there, it's alright.

I'm more concerned with walks, on-base percentage, stolen bases, stuff like that. Those are more important to me than average, right now. Taking pitches and drawing walks is something I'm going to have to get a better feel for over time. It's not going to happen overnight. I need to get better with that if I want to be a complete leadoff hitter.

Off the field, we didn't go anywhere. We were just chilling. This week was kind of the get-over-the-hump week. I think people are looking to the end of the season a little bit at this point. It's a couple weeks away, but we'll keep working hard, and I'll keep answering your emails.

Lastings' Mailbag / Send Lastings an email > ;-D

How did you like your time with the Binghamton Mets? Did you try Spedies, a local barbecue favorite? Do you think you will start next year at Binghamton? -- Paul

Paul, I don't know where I'm going to start. You never know. People can get hurt, or there can be a backlog, so you never know. Spedies was pretty good. I enjoyed it after every game. Binghamton was a cool place to play.

I'm curious about the approach you use at the plate. Are the Mets asking you to slap the ball on the ground and use your speed to get on base? Or are they asking you to drive the ball? You have been leading off for most of your professional career, so I would think they are asking you to use your speed. Does it depend on the situation in the game (runners on base, late inning situations, etc.)? -- Derek

Derek, you have to play to the situation. There can't be a guy on third and you're looking to drive the ball out of the ballpark. When a guy's in scoring position, you're just trying to find a hole and get the run in. There are times when you can be aggressive and try to drive the ball in the gaps, like if there's a runner on first. It depends on how many outs there are, if you have to get the guy over ... it really depends on the situation.

From an athlete to an athlete, how do you handle competition? When you see another baseball player who, in your opinion, is better in general than you are, how do you react? -- Stephen G.

Stephen, you do things that they don't do. There are not many guys who can do well in every aspect of the game. When a guy does something better than you, you try to find something they don't have. Speed is one of the biggest things. Not too many people have the speed and power combo. Or the ability to make plays in the field. When you see a player who does something better than you do, you can dig for something they don't have. Maybe you just do things differently than that player does.

I had the opportunity to see you play in a few games down in Florida this year. I noticed that your dad attended a lot of games. Do you miss not being able to play in front of your family? -- Carol, NJ

Carol, I'm actually pretty lucky. I get to play in front of my family all the time. They're always there. Even when I was in New York, they came. They go where I go.

Lastings Milledge is a New York Mets outfield prospect and an MLB.com contributor. This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/ ... &fext=.jsp
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Tue May 30, 2006 6:27 pm

Mets fans hope he produces like Francoeur did last year, but it's not going to happen. :-)

'Course, Frenchy's run was pretty flukey, so there ya go. Miledge is a guy with tons of potential, although he's not quite a sure thing. I took Quentin over him in a minors draft over the winter and I still like the decision. Still, there's not really a lot left for him to prove in the minors, and given the way their team is built, this is probably a good move for the Mets even if it does get the arbitration clock started on him. They need all hands for this year (and next), so getting him into the majors isn't a bad plan.

As a Braves fan, I was really hoping he'd get dealt for Zito or something; I could take losing the division one year (which would be much more likely if the Mets had another good SP) if it meant Miledge was in Oakland for the next 5-7 years. If he starts to light things up for the Mets, look out. The biggest risk is that he loses his plate discipline (he'll never be Francoeur-like, but he had a poor K/BB rate until recently in the minors) or that his power never fully developes at the ML level. He should still be a good defender and he'll eventually get good enough on the bases to steal 20 per year (if he isn't there already).
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jealousblues » Tue May 30, 2006 7:25 pm

Will he have any real value this year?
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby DK » Tue May 30, 2006 7:28 pm

jealousblues wrote:Will he have any real value this year?

I expect nothing short of Pujols-like numbers.

:b

In all seriousness, he's definitely worth it in keeper leagues and NL-Only league. In mixed leagues, I'd say pick him up and take the chance - but keep him on a short leash as he's bound to struggle a bit.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Tue May 30, 2006 7:34 pm

I'm trying to decide if I want Kemp or Milledge for 06... :-?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

when will milledge be up on yahoo

Postby dodgers6 » Wed May 31, 2006 1:50 am

sorry guys had to continue tradition :-°

over under June 5th?
dodgers6
College Coach
College Coach