Peavy: Good Buy Low Candidate? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Peavy: Good Buy Low Candidate?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Peavy: Good Buy Low Candidate?

Postby NatsFan10 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:58 pm

I am in need of a solid ace to help bolster my pitching staff, but they are in high demand in my league and I don't want to hurt my offense too much when trying to improve my pitching.

After analyzing some pitchers to trade for, I came across the idea of trading for Peavy. Now he certainly hasn't looked like an ace recently, but now may be the best time to trade for him.

What do you guys think? Is it wise to trade for Peavy right now on the hope that he gets back to what he was last year? Or could we be seeing the "real" Peavy right now?

EDIT: Would an offer of Morneau and Wigginton be insulting to a guy hurting in HR and RBI?
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theultimate69 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:06 pm

If anyone had the answer they'd be millionaires.
theultimate69
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:08 pm

I doubt you could get him cheap. If you're in a keeper league I'd have 2nd thoughts though. His throwing motion makes me think he's going to suffer arm troubles a lot as the years roll by.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ben_Sheets » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:12 pm

johnsamo wrote:I doubt you could get him cheap. If you're in a keeper league I'd have 2nd thoughts though. His throwing motion makes me think he's going to suffer arm troubles a lot as the years roll by.

I definitely agree with that since he's already had shoulder problems and missed a start for it. I wouldn't be surprised if that's in part why he's been doing so poorly at times this year. Morneau and Wigginton isn't enough right now for a manager that would know how valuable Peavy is.
Ben_Sheets
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:55 pm

If you can get him that low...certainly...but I think that offer is pretty insulting.

Maybe Bartolo Colon? He certainly is risky, but I just acquired him for Curtis Granderson...who I had as a bench OF.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:26 pm

Well here's a deal that just went through in my league, if it gauges anything...of course this will have no effect on any owners in your league with Peavy.

Peavy/Crawford for Soriano
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby theultimate69 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:29 pm

Peavy/Crawford side better IMO, someone undervalued both of them. But Soriano is in fact baller-status, so...
theultimate69
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FuriousGod » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:53 pm

Sell high. Since they started cracking down on steroids, Peavy hasn't been the same anymore.

I'd probably take someone like Greinke over him.
FuriousGod
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tomdoyle3 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:34 pm

Well, when a pitcher has shoulder problems, that results in a drop in velocity. But, he has struck out 75 in 73 innings, so it can't be bothering him too much. His control is fantastic, he has walked just 16 in 73 innings.

He has been a victim of extremely low run support. In all of these games he has not gotten the win.

7 ip 2 er against ATL
7 ip 1 er against NYM
7 ip 2 er against ATL
5 ip 3 er against Arizona

His only problem is hr's, he has given up 11 in 73 innings.

Another thing to mention is that his DIPs era is 3.51. He has been affected by bad defense and terrible luck, he's certainly doing his part. ;-D
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bing Hampton » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:47 pm

FuriousGod wrote:Sell high. Since they started cracking down on steroids, Peavy hasn't been the same anymore.

I'd probably take someone like Greinke over him.

Yeah, you should pick up Greinke off of FA and then offer him straight up for Peavy.

Seriously, I doubt anybody would part with him for less than a 4th-fifth round type guy, think Dunn or Chavez type of hitter. People tend to get attached and overrvalue their early round draft picks, even when they are doing poorly.

I think that it might be a good time to acquire Clemens. I know that the guy in my league is looking to deal him right now. You might be able to get him for a Magglio Ordonez type player, depending on Rocket's owner's circumstances.
Bing Hampton
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers