Nick Johnson: Underappreciated Stud. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nick Johnson: Underappreciated Stud.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:06 pm

I echo the sentiments above: everyone knows he's got very solid skills and can produce -- but he's more injury prone than Wile E. Coyote.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CadensDad » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:49 pm

He's a nice solid 1b you can always seem to get cheap

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby paiger » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:47 am

I have Ortiz @1B and NJ as Util, any trade that comes in everyone always wants Ortiz, (understandable) if I counter something w. NJ trade dies (ok w. me 'cause I'm not trading Ortiz) but the threads do instantly perish upon the inclusion of NJ which is surprising since he's currently Yahoo-ranked above Ortiz, (I know I know rankings shmankings... and I agree!) but the wiplash speed with which any trade stops is a bit surprising, that's all.
paiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:25 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:I echo the sentiments above: everyone knows he's got very solid skills and can produce -- but he's more injury prone than Wile E. Coyote.
Doesn't always bounce back as well, either.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:27 pm

WittyC wrote:
Howie wrote:
Yin_Xu88 wrote:
Howie wrote:For sure. ;-D

My only complaint is that he is very injury prone. Add that to the fact that no one seems to think he is good and i cant trade him for anyone! (He's currently on my bench right now, unfortunately).

same here, everyone in my league turns down my Nick Johnson offers.

And I was only asking for players like Greg Maddux and Chad Tracy.

I think everyone is trying to trade him because in the back of our minds we know he's gonna get hurt, or at least cool off.

Hurt is a concern, but if he stays healthy, I don't think he'll cool off too much. I picked him up in my money roto very early this year, but had to drop him b/c of an injury. :-t

Pretty ironic, huh??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby kcs261 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:50 pm

Nick Johnson is a stud player. Last year, he was hit by a pitch and broke his hand. That's not a wimpy injury. He has had problems in the past, but so what. The past is the past. I am just pissed because I had him the last two years. This year, I didn't get him in the draft and now look at what happens. If you own, don't trade him for nothing less than another stud player. Keep riding him and hope he stays healthy.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:54 pm

kcs261 wrote:Nick Johnson is a stud player. Last year, he was hit by a pitch and broke his hand. That's not a wimpy injury. He has had problems in the past, but so what. The past is the past. I am just pissed because I had him the last two years. This year, I didn't get him in the draft and now look at what happens.

Yeah but it is always something with this guy. They say the same thing about Prior...oh it is not his fault he gets hit with a liner...that Giles runs into him, etc. Bottom line, he gets hurt all the time and it is usually something bordering on lame. He has not had more than 450 ABs in his entire MLB career spanning back to 2001. If you think Drew is risky health-wise. Drew is the Rock of Gibraltar compared to NJ.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kcs261 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:59 pm

I hear you. But I still wouldn't deal him for less than a stud player. If I had him, I'd take my chances that this is the year he bucks the trend. Why would anybody deal him for a guy less talented?!? No way would I do that.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:02 pm

kcs261 wrote:I hear you. But I still wouldn't deal him for less than a stud player. If I had him, I'd take my chances that this is the year he bucks the trend. Why would anybody deal him for a guy less talented?!? No way would I do that.

I agree. I own him myself in a few leagues. He is one of those guys you will never get a great price for in a trade because of his reputation. I will ride the wave for as long as it lasts. If he makes it through the season, great. If not, like I mentioned in a previous post, I am getting great production out of a very late teen round pick and he will return a tremendous value based on draft selection cost and risk vs reward analysis.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rainman23 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:05 pm

Those of you who are frustrated because you can't deal Johnson -- it's simple, really. Keep him and get rid of that other first baseman on your roster. If you're reluctant to do that because of the injury concern -- well, then, there's no great mystery why no one else is hot after him, right?
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers