Beltre vs Aramis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltre vs Aramis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:24 pm

I'm going to ignore the steroid reference because I hate senselessly accusing people. Why can't a fluke year just be a fluke year...without steroids? It can be done, you know. I think his injury forcing him to lay off of breaking pitches was the reason he had a great season.

But anyway, Beltre could be better than A-Ram as evidenced by 2004, but he has never been able to put it all together. He has even more potential though, as he can be a better overall hitter...more power, too. We'll see if he ever puts it together again. I think he will one of these years, but it's anybody's guess when it'll come. For now, he's a good guy to take a gamble on, especially since he has great splits for teh 2nd half. May not be a great starting 3B option, but I like having him as an option for UTIL.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:51 am

NikkiSixx wrote:Beltre's career statistics are obviously flawed by a fluke 2004.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Take out Beltre's 2004 numbers, and he's never topped 23 HR, 87 RBIs, and a 290 AVG. To me, this screams fluke year.

Also, the original poster said ARam was older. The fact is, he's older by a few months... Also, despite having nearly 800 fewer AB's, ARam has only 3 fewer HR.

Finally, the outlier factor doesn't play with Aramis, either. Of the 4 years he's been healthy enough to crack 400 AB (which is, admittedly, his biggest fault), he's hit more than 30 HR in 3 of them.

Now, I know the original poster said he wasn't arguing that Beltre was better, but that it was closer than it seemed. Actually, I don't think it's close at all...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Laean » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:16 pm

beltre had one good year, aramis had many more. that's all it comes down to.

with that said, i think aramis is kind of an overrated player anyway. him and sexson are kind of similar, as opposed to players like berkman, konerko, or even dunn.

what i mean by that is that with berkman, konerko, and dunn, you can basically chalk up what you will get by the end of the year and you'll get something like it. i'm not saying those #s will necessarily be better than sexson's or aramis' #s, but they are consistent year to year.

sexson and aramis, on the other hand, are capable of 40+ 120+ one year, but are also just as capable of getting something along the lines of 28 100 .270 with no major reason the next year.

anyway, beltre just sucks. i guess if you were expecting a suckier rollins/furcal type from your 3b when you drafted beltre, he might be ok this year as long as he bats in the 2 hole.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby j24jags » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:09 pm

Aramis by 95.5 miles
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)