2nd half studs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2nd half studs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jdsun1 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:08 pm

Ender wrote:Nobody, its just a fluke of numbers that says someone is a 2nd half player instead of a 1st half. Any established player that had a bad first half is generally going to be a good buy low candidate.

Makes me feel a lot better about some of my first half busts so far. ;-D
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mugwump » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:23 pm

FuriousGod wrote:Yea, lots of people will be better in the second half.

This happens every year and they are well-known juicers. Early on in the season they still check too often but as soon as the All-Star game is over, the needles come out.

Bonds will have a MVP second half.

Do all your post deal with steroids?
I was in Los Angeles, and the team was playing in San Diego, but I didn't know it. I had taken LSD at noon. I thought it was an off-day. At 1pm, my girlfriend and trip partner looked at the paper and said, "Dock, you're pitching today!"
Mugwump
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

AE

Postby Mugwump » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:25 pm

Don't know if Adam Eaton qualifies as a stud, but has had some success in the past and will be returning after the all star break.
I was in Los Angeles, and the team was playing in San Diego, but I didn't know it. I had taken LSD at noon. I thought it was an off-day. At 1pm, my girlfriend and trip partner looked at the paper and said, "Dock, you're pitching today!"
Mugwump
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: AE

Postby rentz » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:26 pm

Mugwump wrote:Don't know if Adam Eaton qualifies as a stud, but has had some success in the past and will be returning after the all star break.

i wouldnt count on eaton... flyball pitcher going into one of the better hitters parks.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Re: AE

Postby Mugwump » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:21 pm

rentz wrote:
Mugwump wrote:Don't know if Adam Eaton qualifies as a stud, but has had some success in the past and will be returning after the all star break.

i wouldnt count on eaton... flyball pitcher going into one of the better hitters parks.

really? maybe im wrong but always took him for somewhat of strike out pitcher... not a K an inning but just below that.
Mugwump
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mugwump » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:22 pm

alright, how about huff? is this guy going to do anything this year? he's got me believing that he won't do anything, even after the allstar break. what are other's opinions?
Mugwump
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cordscords » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:21 pm

Mugwump wrote:alright, how about huff? is this guy going to do anything this year? he's got me believing that he won't do anything, even after the allstar break. what are other's opinions?

He's always been a producer in the 2nd half. If it doesnt hurt you to stash him on your bench for a little bit, pick him up and hope for the best.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby mdHARRIS » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:25 pm

Dan Johnson is heating up. He may be a good power source for the 2nd half...
mdHARRIS
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ravenmad22 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:25 am

Andy Pettitte is due for a big turnaround. Watch him get better once Clemens gets back in the fold.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:34 am

Pettite has had bad stretches before and always bounced back so he's due unless there's some nagging injury, which I doubt, because in stretches, he's looked very good, so it's a mechanical issue I think, and he usually works those out...

King Felix is gonna be dealing just about every start now.

Jered Weaver's success is no first time through the league honeymoon fluke. He's got great pitches that he can locate and doesn't walk a lot of people.

Both Weaver and Felix are capable of throwing a no hitter with the stuff they've had lately. What hits they've been giving up lately are largely dinks. Nobody is raking them.

Josh Beckett is gonna have a nice period soon, he's been facing a lot of good AL East teams, and his bad games have mostly been against strong teams that just faced him a few weeks before. Once he hits the largely virgin territory of the AL Central and West, I expect a string of good games.

Marcus Giles is due... He's too young to be at the deteriorating skills stage, and historically, he has a few bad months, and some really fantastic months, so I figure he's due for some great ones.

Carlos Zambrano has put together a series of flawless starts after a bit of a rough stretch where he was solid mostly, but was often hobbled by a BAD inning... He's haviing fewer of those BAD innings.

CARL CRawford is already on fire after a slow start from injuries.

Gary Mathews Jr. seems to have found a real groove lately.

Conor Jackson, unlike a lot of rookies who start hot then cool off, seems to be improving as he goes along which means he's adjusting as the pitchers adjust to him. His obp is an especially good sign for future improvement. not chasing bad pitches as a rookie is a great sign. It means he's not going to be an easy out, and the more pitches you see, the more mistake pitches you'll see. I'm not sure he's gonna be a power hitter, but he could hit for a VERY HIGH average in the future. Same story possibly with the Angels' Kendry Morales. I think he's got more power potential though.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers