Coffey? How sound is his job? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Coffey? How sound is his job?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:30 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:"Weathers did not do a bad job. I fail to see why everyone thinks this guy is some total stiff. If Coffey stinks the place up Weathers could very well get the job back."

Why so much love for Weathers? While I do admit his surface stats are servicable for the year -- 3.48 ERA and 1.35 WHIP -- they hide poorer skills underneath. He has walked 16 batters to 20 K. His WHIP has been over 1.5 for both May and June, with BAA of 277 and 292 respectively. With underlying numbers like that, Weathers is lucky his ERA isn't much higher -- as I've no doubt it would have been had he stayed in the closer job longer.

A 20/16 ratio, 1.5+ WHIP, and 277-292 BAA are simply terrible numbers for a closer, no matter how you look at it.

I have no love for Weathers. I simply have no dislike for him either and can read a stat line. He was a serviceable lower mid-tier closer. No one said he was Mariano Rivera. He did do a serviceable job for quite some time last year and this in the role.

People talk about him like he was Reistma and has absolutely no shot of ever getting the closer's job back. That is simply wrong as if Coffey stinks the joint up, Weathers is still an option for Cincy. I do not think that a likely scenario, but the hate for Weathers around here is simply ignoring the facts of his numbers. There are plenty worse around this year, from Todd Jones who has imploded, to Valverde who has also imploded, to whoever Atlanta, TB and Florida have closing on any given day, to Baez, F. Cordero and Guardado before they lost their jobs.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:34 pm

Newsday: "Maybe what winds up happening is the Yankees try and shorten the game for their wobbly rotation by working on their bullpen, arguably just as vulnerable. Acquire someone such as Minnesota's Juan Rincon, for instance, or Cincinnati's David Weathers, after the Reds' inevitable fall out of contention."

Stormy Weathers could be headed to NYC.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:47 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Newsday: "Maybe what winds up happening is the Yankees try and shorten the game for their wobbly rotation by working on their bullpen, arguably just as vulnerable. Acquire someone such as Minnesota's Juan Rincon, for instance, or Cincinnati's David Weathers, after the Reds' inevitable fall out of contention."

Stormy Weathers could be headed to NYC.

Well you can bet that whoever Clueless Cashman acquires he will be washed up and no good. Cashman would not know a decent pitcher if his life depended on it.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers