Coffey? How sound is his job? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Coffey? How sound is his job?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Bukoski77 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:18 am

Even if Coffey is to implode and lose his job, which I find highly unlikly, I dont think Weathers has any chance at all of taking the job back.

I have to disagree with any chance of Weathers resuming the roll.

Coffey's job is as secure a spot as any closer not considered among the leagues elite IMHO.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:30 am

The biggest threat to Coffey's closing job, I'm confident to say, is Grant Balfour. Krivsky was Min Ass. GM and Balfour was one of his 1st acquistions upon taking the Cincy job. Balfour has a great arm and closed successfully in the minors. He is more suited than Coffey is at closing based on pure stuff and having more pitches. The only issue is his health and he appears to be back in June.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 107)

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:04 pm

Coffey's job is about as secure as any middle-tier closer and probably more so. He's been pitching well and there's little reason to think he can't continue. Beyond that, who is gonna take his job? Weathers already had his chance and was a stinkosaurus. This is not a situation, like in Seattle, where you have an unproven closer (Putz) with another solid (if not better) arm breathing down his neck (Soriano).
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:15 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:Coffey's job is about as secure as any middle-tier closer and probably more so. He's been pitching well and there's little reason to think he can't continue. Beyond that, who is gonna take his job? Weathers already had his chance and was a stinkosaurus. This is not a situation, like in Seattle, where you have an unproven closer (Putz) with another solid (if not better) arm breathing down his neck (Soriano).

Weathers did not do a bad job. I fail to see why everyone thinks this guy is some total stiff. If Coffey stinks the place up Weathers could very well get the job back. Coffey may not give him the chance, but it is not like Weathers was Reistma out there.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:34 pm

yea i was a proud owner of weathers last year and this year, and he never really sucked, and its sad to see him removed as a closer.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby rainman23 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:38 am

activechamp2006 wrote:weathers will take over his job again as closer.. give it a month maybe a month and a half..

It's hard to see why anyone would hold this opinion. We're not talking Rivera or Lidge here...a guy who has dominated in the past, the club has made a major investment to lock up, and they'll be looking for any excuse to move him back into the role. Weathers has spent over a decade proving that he is a useful, far from special relief pitcher. He's a pro, and he did a decent job for the Reds when they weren't sure where else to turn. But they've got a guy now who's putting up the kind of numbers Weathers never has. Coffey's going to have to implode a great deal before they look in Weathers's direction again. IMHO.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:50 am

I'm telling you Balfour is Coffey's biggest threat and a better arm if healthy.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 107)

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:58 am

"Weathers did not do a bad job. I fail to see why everyone thinks this guy is some total stiff. If Coffey stinks the place up Weathers could very well get the job back."

Why so much love for Weathers? While I do admit his surface stats are servicable for the year -- 3.48 ERA and 1.35 WHIP -- they hide poorer skills underneath. He has walked 16 batters to 20 K. His WHIP has been over 1.5 for both May and June, with BAA of 277 and 292 respectively. With underlying numbers like that, Weathers is lucky his ERA isn't much higher -- as I've no doubt it would have been had he stayed in the closer job longer.

A 20/16 ratio, 1.5+ WHIP, and 277-292 BAA are simply terrible numbers for a closer, no matter how you look at it.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby NikeTxGuy » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:56 am

activechamp2006 wrote:weathers will take over his job again as closer.. give it a month maybe a month and a half.. coffey is going to blow up, hes much worse then weathers.. they have no true closer, but weathers is going to be the best option for that team unless they go look for a closer..

You my friend are WRONG!!!!! :-t :-t :-t I think this is coming from SOMEONE that has Weathers and is beating himself up that he didn't get Coffey because someone else picked him up... LOL :-D
NikeTxGuy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby NikeTxGuy » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:57 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:yea i was a proud owner of weathers last year and this year, and he never really sucked, and its sad to see him removed as a closer.

Oh well... its out with the old, in with the new... ;-D
NikeTxGuy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers