Benitez traded to the Mariners for Jeff Nelson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Benitez traded to the Mariners for Jeff Nelson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:36 pm

Mugrila wrote:hopefully benitez performs better outside of the new york atmosphere. he's still a pretty young arm and if he can get it together and become the pitcher he used to be he could really help. (ok, so maybe i'm a little optimistic)

You can always hope...I guess. Sadly, maybe there is none with Benitez. Sorry guys, good luck with him- you'll need it.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dr.DooM » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:14 pm

I'll be surprised if Seattle holds onto Benitez. I think they really just wanted to get rid of Nelson fast and get some tradable commodity in return. With Shige and Kaz, there's just no need for Benitez. Rhodes can fill in for Nelson. I bet you Benitez will be traded away again.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:16 pm

So the Ms don't make a trade AGAIN, and Nelson bashes them. Too bad, the Ms don't need passionate players that want to improve their team.

So what does management do? Ship him off for a head case.

I can't believe this... what a bad deal. :-t :-t
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:22 am

Ok, i'm the only Benitez lover. Seattle made a great move. Benitez is a upgrade because he can close. Sasaki wont be a factor with his decreased velocity, plus Benitez gets lefties out far better then Nelson, helping out Rhodes. Benitez hasnt been as bad in post as most think. A 3.56 era not great, but certaintly not batting practice. Seattle did it for the wrong reasons, (Nelsons comments), but Benitez out of the media market could flourish. Nelson did a nice job while here, but his track record, and stuff, just arent as good as Benitez.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:11 am

I don't believe Nelson was traded for the comments he made. The M's were quietly dealing him before those comments.

I see it as a way to sell Nelson why his stock is still high. He is obviously on a downward slope and is having problems with his command. Getting Benitez was not ideal, but it will help alleviate Rhodes as being the only option against lefties. With the emergence Ruben Mateo and R. Soriano, dealing Nelson was not that difficult. Plus Benitez might be insurance for the spotty performance Sasaki has made in Single A.

Overall I think it was a smart move by Gillick since we filled a void, got some cash, and probably weren't going to resign Nelson anyway.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers