Benitez traded to the Mariners for Jeff Nelson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Benitez traded to the Mariners for Jeff Nelson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Shiggy

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:48 pm

I have to agree, keep Shiggy the closer for now. Actually, I think they should keep Shiggy the closer until he blows it. Why ruin a good thing?
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby IchiBalls » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:15 pm

Pokeyouindaeye wrote:This is a horrible atrocity committed against Mariner's fan's. WHAT THE HELL!?!!!!

This is nothing but politics, and realistically doesn't change much of anything. They are both free agents at the end of the year and Nelson has had his share of bad outings this year. I don't think this will change whatever the outcome is for them this season. Sure Benitez blew a lot of saves, but so did Nelson when he had his chance to be a closer.

I really doubt Benitez will get a shot at closing other than just being the 3rd option if Kaz and Shiggy need a day off. The one thing I don't like about this is Nelson going back to the Yankees.
IchiBalls
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jebatzel » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:20 pm

I think Nelson can handle the pressure of NY better

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:31 pm

Well, no its not the numbers/stats I'm referring too.

If you were a mariners fan, you would understand this too, Nelson is as much a part of team as is Ichiro. Just a huge member of the "Mariner Atmosphere" here in Seattle.
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:36 pm

well then, I guess your little "mariner atmosphere" has just gone corupt.
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:44 pm

Nelson was traded because he voiced how dissappointed he was that the Mariners didn't make any moves before the trade deadline. I think this hurts the Mariners and helps the Yankees.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby blankman » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:47 pm

:-D :-D :-D :-D

All we need is Stanton ;-D

J/k with Stanton, but I love this trade. From day one, I was rooting for Benitez to fail, so he wasn't used in the postseason. Now he have a great playoff proven setup guy. Great move for the Yanks ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D . This sucks for M's fans, I feel sorry for you guys ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Mugrila » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:16 pm

hopefully benitez performs better outside of the new york atmosphere. he's still a pretty young arm and if he can get it together and become the pitcher he used to be he could really help. (ok, so maybe i'm a little optimistic)
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby ballgame » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:01 pm

OMG!! What do you do if you have Shiggy and Sasaki? You're screwed. I'm in the friggin' playoff hunt and now I have this. I guess I have to roll with Shiggy until proven otherwise. I'm definitely cutting Sasaki loose, though. If Sasaki gets the closer's job back and he loses it, he's gonna lose it to Benitez, not Shiggy. DANGIT!!

Seriously, why demote Shiggy? Is it in Sasaki's contract that he must close? I doubt it. Shiggy is lights out.
ballgame
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tjhksig » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:03 pm

As another M's fan, I can only see ONE reason why this was done:

It was Nelson for Benitez and CASH. I don't think the exact amount was reported, but maybe this is the cash the Mariners are looking for in order to finally get some 3B help for the playoff stretch.

If they do not use this $$ to get a better bat this season, then I see this as a waste. I'd rather have Nelson and his 4 rings over Benitez and his blown saves in any playoff situation........
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers