PLEASE HELP A COMMISH OUT!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

PLEASE HELP A COMMISH OUT!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Matthias » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:34 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
Matthias wrote:Whatever.

Everyone on this board is no veto crazy. Finding people to tell you that they wouldn't veto it is like finding someone who likes fish out of a herd of polar bears.

Deal with your league yourself.

Rather than complaining, perhaps it would be better to explain why the people that believe in minimal vetoing are incorrect, if that's what you believe. As far as "Deal with your league yourself" comment, why would you say that? The purpose of the cafe is discussion and help. If I had a problem in a league, this is the first place I would come, because MOST of the people here are very knowledgeable, and polite.

Do a search under "veto." You'll find threads ad nauseum discussing the basic arguments behind how you should run a league and under what circumstances (if any) you should veto. Including arguments that I've made.

And I'm not complaining. And don't be snide. Just because you haven't read something doesn't mean it's not there.

My basic point is that he's not looking for advice. He's looking for vindicaton. And if you're a polygamist but poll in the Mormon country of Utah if what you're doing is OK, that doesn't necessarily means it's OK. It just means you knew the right place to ask the question.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby uucrook3d » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:38 pm

Matthias wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:

Everyone on this board is no veto crazy. Finding people to tell you that they wouldn't veto it is like finding someone who likes fish out of a herd of polar bears.

Rather than complaining, perhaps it would be better to explain why the people that believe in minimal vetoing are incorrect, if that's what you believe. As far as "Deal with your league yourself" comment, why would you say that? The purpose of the cafe is discussion and help. If I had a problem in a league, this is the first place I would come, because MOST of the people here are very knowledgeable, and polite.

Do a search under "veto." You'll find threads ad nauseum discussing the basic arguments behind how you should run a league and under what circumstances (if any) you should veto. Including arguments that I've made.

And I'm not complaining. And don't be snide. Just because you haven't read something doesn't mean it's not there.

My basic point is that he's not looking for advice. He's looking for vindicaton. And if you're a polygamist but poll in the Mormon country of Utah if what you're doing is OK, that doesn't necessarily means it's OK. It just means you knew the right place to ask the question.

actually advice is precisely what i am looking forr. while i would hope that the advice would vindicate me, because i think my leaguemates are veto happy, if it did not vindicate me then i would know that i was in the wrong
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:51 pm

There is nothing wrong with a trade hostile league as long as it is fair and even-handed in that hostility. I frankly prefer leagues being too hard on deals than too soft. I do not believe in the caveat emptor, anything goes idea many like around here.

Simply put, if the trade is lopsided to the point where the losing side should have been able to get a far better deal from someone else, it is veto-worthy imo. As long as the commish remains consistent on what will pass and what wil not, then this way works better imo.

There is NOTHING worse than one league idiot making bad trade after bad trade and ruining the balance of power in the league. A league is supposed to be won based on who has the best draft, does the best WW and free agent pickups and manages his roster the best. It is not supposed to be based on who can rip off the league moron the best imo.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:34 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:A league is supposed to be won based on who has the best draft, does the best WW and free agent pickups and manages his roster the best.

you dont think trades play a vital and important role? Trading is the only thing that makes playing worthwhile after the draft. In one of my leagues a guy was able, over a series of trades, to turn Jim Edmonds into Pedro. That's what makes a league great, not being the nerd who can run to his computer fastest to pick up Otsuka and Papelbon.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby noseeum » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:24 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:There is nothing wrong with a trade hostile league as long as it is fair and even-handed in that hostility. I frankly prefer leagues being too hard on deals than too soft. I do not believe in the caveat emptor, anything goes idea many like around here.

Simply put, if the trade is lopsided to the point where the losing side should have been able to get a far better deal from someone else, it is veto-worthy imo. As long as the commish remains consistent on what will pass and what wil not, then this way works better imo.

There is NOTHING worse than one league idiot making bad trade after bad trade and ruining the balance of power in the league. A league is supposed to be won based on who has the best draft, does the best WW and free agent pickups and manages his roster the best. It is not supposed to be based on who can rip off the league moron the best imo.

What? I completely dis...

Ah, forget it. ;-)
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby garf112 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:19 pm

Matthias wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:

No one likes Matthias, so he lashes out at others.

You need to revamp the rules for your league. You should not be judging your own trades.

I'd say the trades are pretty fair, and Matthias might too. If he cared enough to actually look at them and think critically, rather than jump on everyone whenever they talk about "veto only if collusion." I'd think Ender and Matthias were the same person; if I didn't read Ender's other intelligent posts.
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 99)

Postby fun » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:08 am

first trade is fine, don't see much reason to complain there.

second trade you are pretty much ripping the guy off. the thing i can't stand is when people make questionable trades and then keep looking for people to tell them they were on the up and up. you know you took advantage of the guy on that 2nd deal, there's no question. sure people here will tell you it's close enough to not veto and maybe that's true...but you made your bed now lie in it.

if you don't want the rest of the league to treat you like a sketchy trader then don't take advantage of people who don't know what they are doing.
fun
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers