Dealing for a bat. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Dealing for a bat.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dealing for a bat.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:18 am

link
The article doesn't mention anything really new but I thought these parts were interesting.

The Cardinals are disinclined to trade either Reyes or reliever Adam Wainwright, both of whom are projected to be in the team's 2007 starting rotation.

That Walt is a smart guy. ;-D

The Cardinals would much prefer to deal from their pitching depth at Double-A Springfield, where 2003 second-round draft pick Stuart Pomeranz, 2004 first rounder Chris Lambert and Michael Parisi have excelled.

Also, what are the Pirates smoking?
Jocketty approached the Pittsburgh Pirates about outfielder-first baseman Craig Wilson's availability even before Pujols pulled up in the second inning of Saturday's game against the Houston Astros. Talks went nowhere when the Pirates asked for starting pitcher Anthony Reyes
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dealing for a bat.

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:56 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Also, what are the Pirates smoking?
Jocketty approached the Pittsburgh Pirates about outfielder-first baseman Craig Wilson's availability even before Pujols pulled up in the second inning of Saturday's game against the Houston Astros. Talks went nowhere when the Pirates asked for starting pitcher Anthony Reyes

i think they are still bitter about giving away all their players to the cubs in 2003.

i am still not decided on whether the cards need pitching or hitting help. probably both, although if you traded mulder for a bat and called up reyes that might help. i cant see it happening.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:59 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i am still not decided on whether the cards need pitching or hitting help. probably both, although if you traded mulder for a bat and called up reyes that might help. i cant see it happening.
I think trading Mulder is the best option. But can you get a decent hitter in return?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:35 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I think trading Mulder is the best option. But can you get a decent hitter in return?

that depends. its been rumored, and i dont know how accurate it is, that the phillies want mulder (some sort of abreu deal?). there might also be some pitching starved teams technically still in the hunt that might be interested. arizona or the rangers perhaps. hard to say. i am pretty sure reyes and wainwright wont be moved which really limits things, although the cards can always try to find a prospect to sweeten the pot. also, moving mulder would create some salary flexibility to perhaps get someone in return with a not so great contract (like the larry walker deal).
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:44 pm

I've heard the Phillies rumors but I've also heard that they don't want to deal Abreu and would prefer to deal Burrell. Supposedly they would be willing to swap Burrell straight up for Mulder. I know the Cards have limited options but I don't like that deal. Burrell already has a bad foot and it isn't going to get better. Plus he is owed $27 million in the next 2 years.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:22 pm

i guess burrell or abreu probably wouldnt make too much sense financially unless the phils kick in some cash or prospects. they probably arent too likely to pay someone to play elsewhere since they are already paying thome to mash in chicago.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:07 pm

Abreu makes more sense cause he is only $1 million more over the 2 years and much better than Burrell IMO. Plus he doesn't have an apparent injury like Burrell. But if it happens I don't think Edmonds will be back next year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to St. Louis Cardinals