How old does Albert Pujols look to you? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How old does Albert Pujols look to you?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby activechamp2006 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:46 am

he looks like hes 40 yrs old.. my god.. but he has to be atleast 31.. look at the guy, he could be jose reyes's dad..
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

O.K.. From a dominican 30...

Postby pelotero » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:15 pm

I'm dominican by parents.. I was born in the U.S. and used to go to D.R. every time my family wanted to go and relax. I'm 33 now. I did spend my adolescent years (14-18) in the D.R. as so many kids in my sutiation do. I can easily tell someone I'm 23 and they'll believe me..

Pujols looks more closer to 30-32 years old.. From the info I gathered as I lived in D.R., you rarely see someone that has a birth certificate handy. Usually dominicans want to travel abroad, to travel and get a visa, the consulate needs documents like a birth cert. Also the domincan farm leagues throughout the countryside recruit a lot of country kids that parants rarely have any documents. Most of these documents are made up for about nothing..

Pujols attended college in the U.S. because that was his proper path to the majors, he really did it in a way that there would be no speculation on his age. If he went through differently, things have been dug up.

When I was in the D.R. , If I would have wanted a college degree from a top-5 school there, all I would have to pay a school official was about 500.00.. I opted to join the U.S. Air Force..

In 03, I met Furcal in a Dominican restaurant that is run by good friends of his in Atlanta, we chatted a bit and that boy looked at least 30. After he left I commented it with my cousin and a few clients at the rest. Needless to say, the clients preferred I not mention the age thing in that establishment.

Richie..
"Born with a glove"
pelotero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:35 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Krunk City King$ wrote:last month on around the horn, woody paige said that he knows people that have seen his real visa/birth certificate and he is not as young as he says that he is...

Well that settles it cause a second hand story from Woody Paige has to be the truth. :-t

Yep, that makes up my mind. Pujols is not lying about his age because if he was Woody Paige would be convinced that Pujols was 26. That guy is a complete tool. :-t
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby DevilDriver » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:15 pm

I don't know why but some Latino players say they're 2 years younger than they really are (I think it might have something to do with getting their visa)
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Blakas » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:01 pm

I'd buy him being 26. A lot of athletes do look older than their age.

Jorge Cantu looks 40.
Blakas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mr Irrelevant » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:49 am

buminabox wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:How old is this guy?

Greg Oden, bro. He has to be at least 35. Its amazing.

Who is this kid? Some highly touted prospect?
Mr Irrelevant
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:18 am

Mr Irrelevant wrote:
buminabox wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:How old is this guy?

Greg Oden, bro. He has to be at least 35. Its amazing.

Who is this kid? Some highly touted prospect?

Yeah, he's in the Devil Rays minor league system
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:51 am

Pujols looks 65 to me. Oh wait, that's how many RBI he has already. 8-o

For what its worth, I am one of those who think he is considerably older than he claims to be. And not just because he "looks" older, but because he has shown an incredibly mature power-and-skills set that is virtually unheard of at ANY age, let along at 22 or 23. I guess he could be a freak of nature, but when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, etc.

It is easier than people think to fake birth documents in "third world" countries like the DR -- especially when it comes to athletes that excel at a young age and start to follow the "path" to going pro at an early age, as I understand Pujols did. These guys -- and their parents -- are not dumb and know how to game the system (and the system doesn't really care much that its being gamed).

Case in point: Here in NY, there was a scandal a few years back over little league star Danny Almonte, who turned out to be two years older than he claimed to be, which gave him a tremendous advantage. And we know that Alphonzo Soriano's age was bumped two years after 9-11 when it was discovered that he was older than claimed.

Not that I blame any of these guys. What would you do if pro baseball was a ticket to wealth and prosperity, and all you had to do was change one number on your birth docs? Damn, I spent my teenage years lying about my age to get into 21-and-over bars and clubs and to date 21-year-old chicks. :-D

Hell, its probably not too difficult to fake birth documents here in the USA. All you really need to do is kick the year of birth back a few years. Its just one number.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jealousblues » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:38 pm

oh, wait thats your IQ. My mistake.
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby jealousblues » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:44 pm

Blakas wrote:I'd buy him being 26. A lot of athletes do look older than their age.

Jorge Cantu looks 40.

and like Super Mario
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers