Is otsuka still the closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Is otsuka still the closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:09 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Otsuka came on in the 8th in the second game vs. KC with Texas only trailing by 2 runs. Are you trying to tell me a 2-run deficit against KC is insurmountable?

Otsuka came on in the 8th & the score was 2-0 KC.
If they weren't at least considering giving Cordero another shot at closing, wouldn't they have brought him or another reliever in the 8th inning instead of Otsuka in that game?

A lot of teams use their closers to keep the game close and allow them to come back. If you bring a guy in and he gives up a run or two in that situation then your chances of coming back are jeopardized.

That said, this does show that Buck is willing to use his best reliever in non-save situations which could lead to Cordero vulturing a save here and there even if he doesn't get the job back.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nooner » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:48 pm

The save Cordero got in the Tuesday game was more than one inning. They didn't bring Otsuka in the ninth inning since it wasn't a save situation.

In the Wednesday game, Otsuka needed some work so they let him pitch the eigth inning since there would not have been a ninth inning if Texas did not score at least two runs in the top of the ninth. After Otsuka got his work in, they brought in Cordero because they needed to save Otsuka for Thursday's game in case he was needed for the save.

I firmly believe Otsuka is still the closer and it was just a couple of weird situations that Cordero got the save in.
Nooner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SwingandaMiss » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:21 am

Nooner wrote:The save Cordero got in the Tuesday game was more than one inning. They didn't bring Otsuka in the ninth inning since it wasn't a save situation.

In the Wednesday game, Otsuka needed some work so they let him pitch the eigth inning since there would not have been a ninth inning if Texas did not score at least two runs in the top of the ninth. After Otsuka got his work in, they brought in Cordero because they needed to save Otsuka for Thursday's game in case he was needed for the save.

I firmly believe Otsuka is still the closer and it was just a couple of weird situations that Cordero got the save in.

couldn't have said it any better myself....thanks for typing it out for me! ;-D
SwingandaMiss
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Scout » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:43 am

The Loveable Losers wrote:I did this in one of the leagues in which I'm in first place right now. Drafted 6 closers (Dempster as one of them to allow me to use a SP slot). Picked up a 7th in Papelbon. It obviously wins you the category but more importantly you can get to the point that you've got the saves category virtually sewn up by around the ASB. I've got about 80 saves right now in that league. Another few weeks and I'll be around 100 saves. At that point I can start selling off some closers for upgrades all over my team. You just look at guys that are way down in the standings that could benefit greatly from a closer or two and make them a fair offer. Explain the benefits of the deal to them (ie 2 closers would allow them to move up about 6 or 7 points in the saves category) and most of the time they're more than happy to give you fair value...they're not competing with you (they're down in the standings) and you not only upgrade your players but invariably hurt your competition as well by making sure that the people getting the big points in the saves category are the ones that aren't close to you in the standings.

This is a pretty good post. I am finding myself in that situation in one of my leagues, where a lot of people need closers and I have a good amount of them.

I am not sure if I would draft so many. I think it's easier to scour the waivers for guys like Otuska, Putz, Coffey, etc. No need to waste good draft picks on them.
Scout
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:33 pm

Scout wrote:I am not sure if I would draft so many. I think it's easier to scour the waivers for guys like Otuska, Putz, Coffey, etc. No need to waste good draft picks on them.

I drafted that many closers as part of a concept draft. I had 6 starting pitchers that I thought were way undervalued (Penny, Davis, Lackey, Vazquez, Webb and Patterson) and ended up getting the last 4 guys on that list in the 9th round and after. I had all my offensive players drafted by the 12th round, took 2 closers before that point and then loaded up on late round closers.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates